gunner481

Gold Baits

hey everyone kinda new to the bait painting scene and got a few questions got several baits i would like to paint the gold chrome that was on the old bagleys but having tough time getting any thing to look good i have foiled baits sprayed with various transparents and pearls started with chromed baits with alittle bit better results didnt know if there is a better way or definately a better looking out come any help would be appriciated thanks

If you've been foiling baits something you might try is applying a silver foil and then spraying a candy gold over it.The silver foil should give you the reflective quality and the candy gold should give you the color your looking for.

Edited by RayburnGuy

I like Venture Brite-Bak foil tape, but haven't seen the Bagley color you refer to. The gold Brite-Bak is actually more brass color and I prefer using the silver foil and overspraying it with transparent yellow Createx to get a bright yellow gold metallic. I think you can probably play with the silver to get a more subtle gold color value, if that's what you're looking for. Brite-Bak is thin with good adhesive backing and it conforms well to 3D detail on plastic baits, or takes scale embossing well on wood baits. Its margins are unobtrusive. Here's where I got some but there are other online sources: http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/i-proj/mosaic-access-vent.htm

hey everyone kinda new to the bait painting scene and got a few questions got several baits i would like to paint the gold chrome that was on the old bagleys but having tough time getting any thing to look good i have foiled baits sprayed with various transparents and pearls started with chromed baits with alittle bit better results didnt know if there is a better way or definately a better looking out come any help would be appriciated thanks

I know this isn't about Gold baits, But I wanted to know if someone could tell me How and What I would need to Foil baits? I'll take any info. Thanks a lot guys :D

I know this isn't about Gold baits, But I wanted to know if someone could tell me How and What I would need to Foil baits? I'll take any info. Thanks a lot guys :D

Here's a link that has some pretty good info, complete with pictures, about several aspects of lure refinishing, foiling, painting, etc.

http://www.rivercitylures.50megs.com/make/how2/aaa/how2lure.htm

again thanks for all the info the baits i have are the older bagleys a couple have the brassy looking gold the others have a lighter gold tone i have been using furnace foil tape because the adhesive is already there and then spraying with transparent gold havent tried any of the candy colors yet gonna have to order some the gold seams to look like what i want when i over load the bait with laquer its like the flake suspends in the laquer but settles by the time it dries have tried several layers with a little better success but i am going to try the advice and see if one gives me the look again thanks