mehill10

Pompano Jig Hooks

pirkfan , that is a good looking jig that you have pictured as a part of your introduction, If you don't mind my asking, I am curious to know if that jig is a lead mold and if so who makes it? Is that a fresh water jig or are you using it in the salt water?

It's a Do-It "shad bait lure" mold. I just made my own wire form which had a straight wire at the tail instead of a loop, bent an eye in that wire and tied on a crystal flash tail (well sort of crystal flash...it's actually some christmas stuff I found at a craft store). I use them primarily in salt water.

Edited by pirkfan

hawnsjigs, wow, 40 years ago? You sound like as much a living fossil as I am. " two hour drive", I had no idea that the big island was that big. How many miles is it across the island anyway? As I mentioned, I have never fished south florida but within all of the TV shows I have always seen the south florida anglers utilizing crabs and shrimp for permit and bonefish. There is a big flats charter industry down there and I am guessing that those captains want to devulge as little as possible when it comes to size and configuration of the jigs that they may utilize or maybe they always use live bait. Are the Trevally the best eating of the inshore fish in Hawaii? Our Pompano run best in the spring but do also run in the fall and pompano are probably one the most expensive fish to buy around here but since everyone has started farming them maybe that will change. Around here we have nothing but sand beaches and mixed in with the pompano run are blue fish, blue runners, skip jacks, spanish mackeral and others. Needless to say with that many razor sharp teeth swimming around one can loose a bunch of jigs quick. It seems a universal consensus that pompano will bit best on light pound test mono/florocarbon and they have no cutting teeth as do the other species hence the predomance of light leader materials when fishing for these fish.

pirkfan, yes it looks like it would be great for the bluefish that have been abundant around here lately. I have yet to find any of the crystal flash or flashabou marage that I like in the christmas section at the dollar store but I would love to. I have been thinking about buying a kilo of it from china but that would be entirely tooo much for my needs.

Dunno about mileage, but its at least a two hour drive from my home on the eastern tip of the Big Island to any west side shoreline going around the island either way or up & over the middle thru the saddle between Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea.

My K-bay flats wading was mostly thru the 60s. Of course its probably easier to target crustacean crunchers with natural bait, but as mentioned artificials properly presented are effective. I've seen flats "skimmer" jigs available online.

Our half dozen or so most prevalent jack species are indeed valued as food. And unlike out your way, bonefish are highly prized for "o'io lomi" or fishcake.

Probably won't get the opportunity, but I think beach or wade jigging for FL pompano would be well served by my Hawaiian experiences. Altho posting for fellow jig tiers in both local fishing forums, only one replied.

No kidding, that really must be a or the "big island". I think that I know what you are speaking of "skimmer jigs". I, as well, have heard of the south florida fishermen using the goofy jigs which, I believe, doit has a mold for. As I mentioned eariler, I cannot imagine that there are not any old time ardent flats fishermen in south florida and the keys that are not making their custom jigs. I guess that I will have to drive down there and see for myself one of these days if they they exist or not. To be sure I don't think that the south florida charter fishermen would like to hear that bonefish are good eating. Yes, I have done my fair share of beach fishing and I am sure that you would feel right at home given that you show up at the right times. We, have large schools of jacks,(100 or more fish around 35 pounds each) run up and down the beaches but for the most part noone fishes for them here except for the dolphins. The redfish have made a huge comeback due to the florida fishery laws and are as well frequenting the beaches these days. I would be interested in sending you a couple of my jigs, I am curious to know if they will work for you. I like and would, as well, be interested in giving your custom jig mold configuration jigs a try here as well. Who knows, we may both be pleasantly surprized.

Ask any local here who likes seafood, which is pretty much all of us, about lomi o'io and you will get a reply "Ho brah, some ono!" or "Broke dah mowt!" The few C&R flats guides here are up against some serious tradition.

Geez, 35# jacks must be an unpleasant surprise if jigging table fish. Kinda like monster carp in fresh water. No doubt both are capable of punishing battles on light gear, but I'm with the ABC crowd when inland fishing - Anything But Carp. Unfortunately carp will bite small jigs and are so prolific in some waters that accidental snagging wastes lots of "real" fishing time.

OK, will PM for an address exchange.

Ok, now I think I know what you are using the smaller hooks for. Fresh water.. I just have a hard time visualizing a lake on an island but it sounds like from your posts they are numerous in Hawaii. They don't call it the "Big Island" for nothing, right? I bet that a large Hawaiian carp on a #6 hook and light line would take a while if you wanted to try to retrieve your jig. If your lakes are anything like the beachs I have seen pictured there I would imagine they would be something to see as far a beautiful scenery goes. Yea, I was thinking when I do take a trip to South Florida I might try the Hawaiian receipt for bonefish, if I catch one.. I have heard that they are a very wary fish and I am unsure if I have the necessary skill to handle one.

Sorry, should have clarified no freshwater fishing on my island, inland experience is mostly CO & CA. The Big Island does have gorgeous tropical streams & waterfalls, but no catch-able sport fish. Stocking might have been attempted long ago, but those streams are prone to massive flooding which would have washed everything out to sea. There are rumors that largemouth bass were once stocked in estuarine Wailoa Pond, but think the last major tidal wave might have killed em off.

Yeah, sight fishing bonies are a challenge on jigs - gotta go light as possible otherwise they spook, & precision casting accuracy must be essential. But, I think we'd get a few even if accidental.

Edited by hawnjigs

hawnjigs I have heard that alot of the south florida bone fishermen are on a first name basis with many of the large bonefish due to them seeing each other so often throughout the season. I would suspect that in the shallow water and calm conditions of the "flats" that a fisherman will do well to lead the fish no matter what they throw at them. The more that I talk about it the more that I am inclined to try out that sort of fishing. The pompano that we sight fish for are usually travelling about 50 miles an hour and I cannot imagine a fish that is more spooky and I would suspect that many of the jacks that you are use to seeing are the same way. Maybe one of the "flats" fishermen will chime in and set us neophites straight about the techniques in this regard?

On 3/31/2010 at 11:39 AM, warflures said:

I make alot of pompano jigs and the best hook i found is the mustad ultra point 32786 60* hook in the 1/0 size. The 1/0 in this style is actually about the size of a 2/0 in other sizes. Its a great hook with a great finish and great durability and thick durable wire. What i do is bend the 60* and make it a 90* for a shorter shank. It fits well into the do-it egg mold with just a little bit of modifications to where the point end of the hood sits in the mold. As for the lead part, it mold just fine with no modifications. The best place i buy all my supplies is barlows tackle. I specialize in custom pompano and cobia jigs here in the panhandle of florida. Hope this info is helpful.

I have been looking for a pompano jig mold for a few months now, the only mold i have found is the Do-it mold  called the SWM mold. I was able to modify it to fit better hooks, i am looking for a pompano mold that is 1/2oz. Any help would be great