fishnart

Pricing Help

For those of you who paint baits and sell them I need your opinion on pricing. How much do you, or would you, charge someone who gives you a bait to paint a custom paint job. I have no problem pricing baits that I do with elaborate paint jobs, but I do for baits that have basic paint jobs, such as two colors. I'm pretty sure that this specific color combination, or something very close could be found in a tackle store or cataloge somewhere. It's nothing crazy. I know I should charge for my time etc, and materials are very little. Right now I would charge $6 for this job, which I feel is fair. But you can probably buy this bait brand new for the same price. I also understand that he's coming to me with a specific bait and color combination so he should expect to pay some. I'd like to know your feelings....

Thanks

6 bucks.. wow.. do you sand them before you paint them... Do you tape off the lips so you dont get paint it.. Do you wash the dust off after you sand the bait. Do you take a tack rag to the bait before you clear coat it.. how long does it take you to clean out your airbrushes after you paint the bait.. how many paper towels do you use to clean up the mess. etc.. and so on....

See you time is worth more than you THINK!!! 20 to 25 bucks if you want to actually make money for your labor and supplies you will need to do the job the right way. Just my opinion.. but what do I know everyone always tells me I charge too much... My feeling is if they aint willing to pay me for my time than Im not willing to do that great of job..... If anyone ever asked me to paint a bait for 6 bucks and I agreed..WHICH WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.....EVER....CAUSE TATER is the World's Most Famous REDNECK LURE ARTIST OF ALL TIME AND HAS set standards.. You should be paying me 10 BUCKS JUST for my opinion.. ( FOR YOU SERIOUS TU PEOPLE.. YOU KON WHO YOU ARE... BEFORE YOU SAY IM COCKY AND FULL OF MYSELF..Which actually is true..but I try to do it in a fun loving way so XOXOX HUGS AND KISSES TOO ALL OF YOU!!!. THIS IS ME HAVING FUN AND IS NOT MENT TO BE TAKEN THE WRONG WAY LIKE I KNOW SOME OF YOU WILL TAKE IT CAUSE YOU HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR AND ARE TOO DARN SERIOUS ALL THE DAM TIME).. where was I... oh yeah... But if It did or just to prove the point Im trying to make... I'm willing to bet I WILL GIVE them 6 BUCKS WORTH OF WORK! DINO WHERE DID I PUT MY CREATEX CLEAR COAT!!!! I dont have time to clear coat it correctly since this guy is only willing to pay me 6 bucks... :D Think of it that way...

The ROOKIE

Edited by The_Rookie

6 bucks.. wow.. do you sand them before you paint them... Do you tape off the lips so you dont get paint it.. Do you wash the dust off after you sand the bait. Do you take a tack rag to the bait before you clear coat it.. how long does it take you to clean out your airbrushes after you paint the bait.. how many paper towels do you use to clean up the mess. etc.. and so on....

See you time is worth more than you THINK!!! 20 to 25 bucks if you want to actually make money for your labor and supplies you will need to do the job the right way. Just my opinion.. but what do I know everyone always tells me I charge too much... My feeling is if they aint willing to pay me for my time than Im not willing to do that great of job..... If anyone ever asked me to paint a bait for 6 bucks and I agreed..WHICH WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.....EVER....CAUSE TATER is the World's Most Famous REDNECK LURE ARTIST OF ALL TIME AND HAS set standards.. You should be paying me 10 BUCKS JUST for my opinion.. ( FOR YOU SERIOUS TU PEOPLE.. YOU KON WHO YOU ARE... BEFORE YOU SAY IM COCKY AND FULL OF MYSELF..Which actually is true..but I try to do it in a fun loving way so XOXOX HUGS AND KISSES TOO ALL OF YOU!!!. THIS IS ME HAVING FUN AND IS NOT MENT TO BE TAKEN THE WRONG WAY LIKE I KNOW SOME OF YOU WILL TAKE IT CAUSE YOU HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR AND ARE TOO DARN SERIOUS ALL THE DAM TIME).. where was I... oh yeah... But if It did or just to prove the point Im trying to make... I'm willing to bet I WILL GIVE them 6 BUCKS WORTH OF WORK! DINO WHERE DID I PUT MY CREATEX CLEAR COAT!!!! I dont have time to clear coat it correctly since this guy is only willing to pay me 6 bucks... biggrin.gif Think of it that way...

The ROOKIE

See you time is worth more than you THINK!!! 20 to 25 bucks if you want to actually make money for your labor and supplies you will need to do the job the right way. Just my opinion.. but what do I know everyone always tells me I charge too much... My feeling is if they aint willing to pay me for my time than Im not willing to do that great of job..... If anyone ever asked me to paint a bait for 6 bucks and I agreed..WHICH WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.....EVER....CAUSE TATER is the World's Most Famous REDNECK LURE ARTIST OF ALL TIME AND HAS set standards.. You should be paying me 10 BUCKS JUST for my opinion.. ( FOR YOU SERIOUS TU PEOPLE.. YOU KON WHO YOU ARE... BEFORE YOU SAY IM COCKY AND FULL OF MYSELF..Which actually is true..but I try to do it in a fun loving way so XOXOX HUGS AND KISSES TOO ALL OF YOU!!!. THIS IS ME HAVING FUN AND IS NOT MENT TO BE TAKEN THE WRONG WAY LIKE I KNOW SOME OF YOU WILL TAKE IT CAUSE YOU HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR AND ARE TOO DARN SERIOUS ALL THE DAM TIME).. where was I... oh yeah... But if It did or just to prove the point Im trying to make... I'm willing to bet I WILL GIVE them 6 BUCKS WORTH OF WORK! DINO WHERE DID I PUT MY CREATEX CLEAR COAT!!!! I dont have time to clear coat it correctly since this guy is only willing to pay me 6 bucks... biggrin.gif Think of it that way...

The ROOKIE

For those of you who paint baits and sell them I need your opinion on pricing. How much do you, or would you, charge someone who gives you a bait to paint a custom paint job. I have no problem pricing baits that I do with elaborate paint jobs, but I do for baits that have basic paint jobs, such as two colors. I'm pretty sure that this specific color combination, or something very close could be found in a tackle store or cataloge somewhere. It's nothing crazy. I know I should charge for my time etc, and materials are very little. Right now I would charge $6 for this job, which I feel is fair. But you can probably buy this bait brand new for the same price. I also understand that he's coming to me with a specific bait and color combination so he should expect to pay some. I'd like to know your feelings....

Thanks

oops sorry, pressed the wrong button...twice. I appreciate your input for sure Rookie. Yeah I probably should be charging a little more, and I do for baits that have more of a detailed finish. I do spend a lot of time on those. But in this case, theres no way I can justify charging that much for what I did on these baits, but I could maybe charge a little more???? Thanks for taking the time to respond. Anyone esle wanna have a go?

oops sorry, pressed the wrong button...twice. I appreciate your input for sure Rookie. Yeah I probably should be charging a little more, and I do for baits that have more of a detailed finish. I do spend a lot of time on those. But in this case, theres no way I can justify charging that much for what I did on these baits, but I could maybe charge a little more???? Thanks for taking the time to respond. Anyone esle wanna have a go?

LIKE it was stated. if you are setup to do work its easier. we do musky lures. we do not charge the pricing as mentioned. . if its a one off its different then sparying 2 dozen.

I charge the same to do a repaint as I do for one of my stock baits. There is no savings when they supply the lure. Removing hooks and rings, taping, sanding etc.. Unless they are a regular customer, I require at least 3-4 baits in the same pattern just to get started. If they get the number to 10 or so, then we can talk a little discount. If you have any talent at all, don't sell it short. People will pay for quality. Remember, your quality is your product, not your time. Don't ever compromise it.

I charge the same to do a repaint as I do for one of my stock baits. There is no savings when they supply the lure. Removing hooks and rings, taping, sanding etc.. Unless they are a regular customer, I require at least 3-4 baits in the same pattern just to get started. If they get the number to 10 or so, then we can talk a little discount. If you have any talent at all, don't sell it short. People will pay for quality. Remember, your quality is your product, not your time. Don't ever compromise it.

Well said Tom. "Your quality is your product, not your time" I like the quality part.. But I would like to add it takes TIME to do GOOD QUALITY so your time is your product too.. Never sell yourself short. If you make a good quality product people will pay for it. The ones that complain about the cost are DOGS.. and you dont want DOGS as customers anyway.. all they do is COST YOU MORE TIME and will be the first ones to complain about your shipping time, or the color is lighter than I expect could you do it over or I wish you would have make the purple fade more towards the belly etc.. Walk away from dogs.. All dogs do is cost you time and money.

You aren't running a factory that can zip unpainted baits through an automated painting line staffed by 3rd world labor at the rate of 5,000 per day. So the original cost of the bait has nothing to do with custom bait painting. If the customer wants a $6 paint job, let him go buy some $6 factory baits. It's likely that the customer has beat up baits whose color patterns have been great producers for him but which he can't get any longer from the factory because they changed the pattern or the lure. Or they're "special baits" which are priceless to him because they're the ones that catch fish when other stuff won't. Balance that against what you want to get out of custom bait painting and pick a price.

You aren't running a factory that can zip unpainted baits through an automated painting line staffed by 3rd world labor at the rate of 5,000 per day. So the original cost of the bait has nothing to do with custom bait painting. If the customer wants a $6 paint job, let him go buy some $6 factory baits. It's likely that the customer has beat up baits whose color patterns have been great producers for him but which he can't get any longer from the factory because they changed the pattern or the lure. Or they're "special baits" which are priceless to him because they're the ones that catch fish when other stuff won't. Balance that against what you want to get out of custom bait painting and pick a price.

All VERY VERY good points....and thats exactly how I feel. I just wanted to make sure I was on the same page as you guys. Thanks for taking the time to reply with such insightful replies...

Thanks

I can give you a customer point of view. I paint all the baits I make.. but I dont have any talent like you guys on this site. But getting to the point... For a paint jobber on a crankbait... ((i sleep with my cranks under my pillow!)) ... I would pay 20 bucks easy for a new paint job of the caliber I see on this site. If your customers dont wanna pay for your talent, bass pro shops delivers. Dont sell yourself short..

[/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

Great lures that catch fish today are what become collectibles tomorrow.

That is true, But It just amazing to me that someone would Spend $250+ on 1 lure and actually risk fishing with it. If it was me I probably would of Put it in a rotating Picture frame! :P

That is true, But It just amazing to me that someone would Spend $250+ on 1 lure and actually risk fishing with it. If it was me I probably would of Put it in a rotating Picture frame! :P

I fish 250 dollar lures everyday.. only problem is I cant seem to get people to pay 250 dollars for them

Edited by The_Rookie

For repaints, we use to operate on the $20/ hr concept. The huge majority of repaints did not require a full hour of "hands on it" from start to finish. The typical cost worked out to $10-12 a lure. That included everything from prep to clear to out the door. For extensive repairs, oversized or jointed lures you could count on additional time and product that pushed the price up to $15-17.

Edited by kellure

Yeah! That stuff is called "product", and bears but a passing resemblence to skilled hand craftsmanship.