Matt Moreau

Dn Storage Question

Ok Guys... Got my first order of DN yesterday and have a question. I was planning on using an old Spaghetti sauce jar as the container. I have Argon to spray in but I am worried about the little rubber gasket on the lid... anyone ever try this storage medium? any ideas if it will work or be a problem? Please speak up!!!

Ok Guys... Got my first order of DN yesterday and have a question. I was planning on using an old Spaghetti sauce jar as the container. I have Argon to spray in but I am worried about the little rubber gasket on the lid... anyone ever try this storage medium? any ideas if it will work or be a problem? Please speak up!!!

My jars all have the rubber seal on the lid, never had a problem. I use smaller jars though so I can split the DN into several containers. If I screw one up I have back ups, although since using Bloxigen I have had no problems! Olive jars or tall salsa jars are perfect.

My jars all have the rubber seal on the lid, never had a problem. I use smaller jars though so I can split the DN into several containers. If I screw one up I have back ups, although since using Bloxigen I have had no problems! Olive jars or tall salsa jars are perfect.

Bob you are an Angel amoung Saints.... I didnt even think about salsa jars!!!! They have a nice wide mouth and stumpier!!! Wooohoo! Thank you sir.

Since I have your attention from what I have read about 3 dips should suffice? waiting 30 mins between dippings? Do you stir or shake your DN before use?

Edited by LKN4DDB

The solvent in DN is pretty active stuff. You don't want wet DN on a lure too long or it will wrinkle the paint. The simplest method I've found is to dip the bait and hang it up so the excess DN drips off the tail. This works well and couldn't be easier - dip it, hang it, walk away! I haven't tried short interval redipping so can't predict results. I dip bass baits once. They dry over several hours, at which point the poly is about as tough as a typical polyurethane (not very!) Then you let them rest for at least several days so the moisture cure process can make the finish very durable. The optimum cure period is reportedly about a week. I used to do two dips with at least 24 hrs between dips to prevent bubbles and wrinkles. That worked OK but I get good results with just one dip - the baits fish just fine and are as durable as factory baits. Some guys brush on multiple coats, some guys shoot it thinned through an airbrush. So there are options; this is just the way I like to do it.

With regards the rubber seal, if you are concerned you can always just cling wrap the top of the jar and keep that in place with a rubber band. I use a similar product and dont worry about a jar top and do it that way, keeps the jar sealed nicely. Only risk is if the jar falls over, containment might be an issue.

With regards the dipping, I dip exactly as bobp decribed. I did a test the other week to see what different waiting periods between dips had on the coating thickness, I will post the final results after this weekend, however, after three days drying, the final coating thickness when waiting 1 hour between coats was twice that waiting 12 hours between coats. I tested consisted of four dips. I will certainly be intersted to see how the coatings compare when I test them again after decent drying time.

In my experience, remember though not DN, if you are going to do multiple dip's, be prepared to wait a couple of weeks at least before using your bait. On a recent bait of mine dipped 4 times, after two weeks drying I could still peel the topcoat off with my finger nail. That bait is now 3.5 weeks drying and I cant remove any topcoat with fingernail anymore. I recon it has another week in it before its would be ready to fish. I'm using Pelucid and spoke with POR about it and they were not suprised at all with the drying time.

I agree with Bobp, if you give them time, moisture cured poly's are as good as factory coats. Some of my earlier ones which I waited two month's to finally use are hard as a rock.

Angus