Kris

Predator Bass Baits Square Bill Lure

2 Questions on the Predator Bass Baits Square Bill lure ....

1. For those who have painted this lure what is the best method for clear coating the screw in plug in the bottom ?

2. Does anyone know the differing depths of the 3 different ball weights that come with it ? Depth of 1 ball, 2 balls, and all 3 balls.

Thanks.

I tried one. Chose the ballast I wanted, screwed in the plug and finished the bait as usual, so the plug became permanent. They are fairly large, heavy baits. I suggest you take it to the lake and try it before you decide which ballast to use. I gave mine away so can't help on running depths or action.

I tried one. Chose the ballast I wanted, screwed in the plug and finished the bait as usual, so the plug became permanent. They are fairly large, heavy baits. I suggest you take it to the lake and try it before you decide which ballast to use. I gave mine away so can't help on running depths or action.

I just got some but haven't painted them yet. I couldn't get mine unscrewed lol. I think what I'm gonna try is to paint it like you want. Take the screwed in piece out and epoxy the bait being very careful not to get any epoxy into the hole. Then take a little dab (just enough) and epoxy the screw in part not letting epoxy get onto the threads. If it does maybe use a qtip with laquer thinner and rub it out of the hole?????

I just got some but haven't painted them yet. I couldn't get mine unscrewed lol. I think what I'm gonna try is to paint it like you want. Take the screwed in piece out and epoxy the bait being very careful not to get any epoxy into the hole. Then take a little dab (just enough) and epoxy the screw in part not letting epoxy get onto the threads. If it does maybe use a qtip with laquer thinner and rub it out of the hole?????

fishnart ... I thought about that method too. I also was thinking about maybe leaving the plug in while I clear coat and while the clear coat is fresh (soon I as get through brushing it on) remove the plug and set it aside to dry.

The action is pretty good, Its got a nice wobble to it and it deflects as good as anything ive thrown.

I just made and order for some myself, I guess when I recieve them I'll rig one out with splitrings and hooks and play around with the ballast till I get what I want. Then paint from there.

fishnart ... I thought about that method too. I also was thinking about maybe leaving the plug in while I clear coat and while the clear coat is fresh (soon I as get through brushing it on) remove the plug and set it aside to dry.

The only think I would worry about doing it like this Kris is if one tiny little drop dripped or rolled in the hole then it might mess the whole thing up. I think if we get epoxy on the threads the bait will be ruined. That could happen with my idea too, so not sure???

The only think I would worry about doing it like this Kris is if one tiny little drop dripped or rolled in the hole then it might mess the whole thing up. I think if we get epoxy on the threads the bait will be ruined. That could happen with my idea too, so not sure???

I plugged the hole with a short piece of wooden dowel, painted it then top coated it with d2t, then removed the dowel while still wet. Guess what? Some of the d2t did get into the threads and I now I cannot screw in the hook hanger. Hard lesson learned!

The first time I did one these I cleared it (w/ D2T) without the plug in it. I was very careful when I got around the hole. Some ran down into the hole. I took a brush and dipped it in Acetone and ran the brush around the threads inside

the hole. It seemed to do the trick in getting any and all the D2T out. As I was able to screw the plug in when it dried.

The first time I did one these I cleared it (w/ D2T) without the plug in it. I was very careful when I got around the hole. Some ran down into the hole. I took a brush and dipped it in Acetone and ran the brush around the threads inside

the hole. It seemed to do the trick in getting any and all the D2T out. As I was able to screw the plug in when it dried.

If your going to use acetone to clean plastic baits you better be extremely careful and do it quickly. Acetone will start eating away at plastic fairly fast. Please don't make me tell you how I know this.

RayburnGuy ... I know the results of Acetone and plastic :blink: I was careful around the hole so not a whole lot of D2T ran down into it. I dipped a brush in Acetone and then brushed it on a paper towel before brushing the threads.

If I knew the depths of these lures I would probably just seal the plug ...