StrykerLures

Homemade Lure Eyes?

Does anyone know how to make lure eyes? The only test I've done, I've made a mold out of Plaster of Paris and out of Molding Clay, I ran out of Rubber Molding, But The Molding clay works fine for now, I wanted to know if anyone had any Ideas about what to use for the eyes them self? Any hints or info would be nice :yes:

Does anyone know how to make lure eyes? The only test I've done, I've made a mold out of Plaster of Paris and out of Molding Clay, I ran out of Rubber Molding, But The Molding clay works fine for now, I wanted to know if anyone had any Ideas about what to use for the eyes them self? Any hints or info would be nice :yes:

S/L- do a search for 'Eyes' and you will find more, but here is a recent thread that covers a lot.

Pete

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/18183-home-made-eyes/page__hl__%20eyes

Does anyone know how to make lure eyes? The only test I've done, I've made a mold out of Plaster of Paris and out of Molding Clay, I ran out of Rubber Molding, But The Molding clay works fine for now, I wanted to know if anyone had any Ideas about what to use for the eyes them self? Any hints or info would be nice yes.gif

I did read the post above and think there is a much better way. Make a silicone mold of the shape you want flat size up. Mix up a batch of polyester casting resin. fill the eye 1/2 full. When the resin reaches the gel stage either place a colored paper dot as the pupil. You can make these 2tone if you want. Mix another batch of resin and fill the rest of the mold. Polyester takes along time to cure so I would leave these in the mold for 2 days otherwise can be tacky and pick up fingerprints. The last step is to remove the eyes and epoxy them to the foil of your choice. After the epoxy is set trim around eye and you will have crystal clear- non yellowing eyes. This stuff is hard as rock so durability will not be an issue. It is best to work outside or have good ventilation when working with polyester resin.

If any of you have seen the fake jemstones in costume jewelry you now know how they are made. If you want to get fancy you can use dyes in the polyester resin for different results. You can do this with epoxy as well but they will yellow with time. Hope this helps.

I use it to cover my oversized movable doll eyes on some of my big saltwater lures.

Thanks A lot, I'm going to go out tomorrow and get the stuff I need and try to make them tomorrow.

I also have another question, How do you keep Hair/Lint/Dirt & Dust from getting in the eyes? Do you put something over it to protect it? Or do you work it in a White room where you have to have full body suits, respirators and Finger prints/Eye scans????? :?:blink:

Hah thanks a Lot, You've been very helpful. - Bryan

Thanks A lot, I'm going to go out tomorrow and get the stuff I need and try to make them tomorrow.

I also have another question, How do you keep Hair/Lint/Dirt & Dust from getting in the eyes? Do you put something over it to protect it? Or do you work it in a White room where you have to have full body suits, respirators and Finger prints/Eye scans????? hmm.gifblink.gif

Hah thanks a Lot, You've been very helpful. - Bryan

Most of the stuff can be purchased at Micheals craft store. You may want to watch a few turorials on youtube before you do the actual procedure.. Search polyester resin casting and jemstone making with polyester casting resin. If you can find a few disposable eye droppers you should be good to go. Last thing , the thinner your eyes the more catalyst needed. This cuts you working time so I would do small runs at first untill you get the system down. This stuff isn't cheap.

Most of the stuff can be purchased at Micheals craft store. You may want to watch a few turorials on youtube before you do the actual procedure.. Search polyester resin casting and jemstone making with polyester casting resin. If you can find a few disposable eye droppers you should be good to go. Last thing , the thinner your eyes the more catalyst needed. This cuts you working time so I would do small runs at first untill you get the system down. This stuff isn't cheap.

I just made some of these. I just used some holo tape, a hole punch, and some etex. I put a pupil on the punch out and drop a drop of etex on it. It makes a nice little bulge in top of the tape and flows to the edge. I used to use that realistic water stuff, but found it expands under the epoxy in the heat. I actually had a few eyes goo out of the lure.

Anyhow, it works good wih the etex to. I also have painted some of the tape to give it a pearl background around the pupil. basically any eye ya want and just drop the etex on it. Watch for bubbles though.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/media/9461/1_Fish_eye.jpg

I just made some of these. I just used some holo tape, a hole punch, and some etex. I put a pupil on the punch out and drop a drop of etex on it. It makes a nice little bulge in top of the tape and flows to the edge. I used to use that realistic water stuff, but found it expands under the epoxy in the heat. I actually had a few eyes goo out of the lure.

Anyhow, it works good wih the etex to. I also have painted some of the tape to give it a pearl background around the pupil. basically any eye ya want and just drop the etex on it. Watch for bubbles though.

http://www.tackleund.../1_Fish_eye.jpg

Those look great. Certainly a quicker process. These are cheep to buy so I don't bother unless I need something custom.

http://www.tackleund.../1_Fish_eye.jpg

ah ha! thats a nice trick. I bet you could make thousands of these. Where do you get etex? I like this alot . I cant wait to try it.

Edited by VermontPhisher

ah ha! thats a nice trick. I bet you could make thousands of these. Where do you get etex? I like this alot . I cant wait to try it.

The etex is envirotex lite. Same stuff a lot of people use to topcoat their lures. When I am coating some lures, I usually just try and take some of the left overs and drop it on the punch outs.

Does anyone know how to make lure eyes? The only test I've done, I've made a mold out of Plaster of Paris and out of Molding Clay, I ran out of Rubber Molding, But The Molding clay works fine for now, I wanted to know if anyone had any Ideas about what to use for the eyes them self? Any hints or info would be nice yes.gif

I just posted a how to, last week: wink1.gif

Here's Lookin' Atcha, Kid!