squigster

Multiple Color Pour Efficiency

Hi Guys,

I have a question. I have been pouring for about two years and revently started to attempt to pour multiple color baits, laminates ,Baby-E Swimbaits etc,, I am getting very frustrated with dealing with having to reheat the plastic in between pours due to it cooling. I have heard some of you mention using pans on hot plates to keep it hot and I want to keep multiple colors hot enough to pour until im finished Does this work well? Does the surface get cold? Do you cover the pans?Does anyone have an efficient system for managing this? Do you insulate the pans, cups etc..?. I hate reheating becasue especially on white baits I start with one white and by the end the last bait is much duller. I have a presto pot but that only covers one color and dont want to fire it up all the time. Any suggestions, thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I have a question. I have been pouring for about two years and revently started to attempt to pour multiple color baits, laminates ,Baby-E Swimbaits etc,, I am getting very frustrated with dealing with having to reheat the plastic in between pours due to it cooling. I have heard some of you mention using pans on hot plates to keep it hot and I want to keep multiple colors hot enough to pour until im finished Does this work well? Does the surface get cold? Do you cover the pans?Does anyone have an efficient system for managing this? Do you insulate the pans, cups etc..?. I hate reheating becasue especially on white baits I start with one white and by the end the last bait is much duller. I have a presto pot but that only covers one color and dont want to fire it up all the time. Any suggestions, thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

I think the only way to solve this is to have enough molds to pour out in first heating. When I was doing 4 inch swimbaits, two color pours, I'd heat 4oz each of the two colors at the same time. Pour as many bellies as I could, then top off the mold with the second color. Now these were RTV molds which are cheaper than aluminum so I had many. If you only have one mold, heat up less plastic and use the remainder to pour out into other type molds.

The bottom line is, you're always going to have left over plastic and not enough molds.

Ever try those Lee production pots? You need one for each color of course, but no re-heating required with those guys, since they combine constant heating with pouring into one device.

I have tried those and the temp is so eratic it is hard to not burn the plastic especially white or clear. I put a temp gauge in it and when it got to 350 and tried to keep it there the temp fluxuated from 320 to 380. Hard to get a good pour when the temp is up and down like that. I do not have it anymore. My advise get more presto pots. Or get more micros and set it on med-lo to keep the plastic warm enough all the time. As for the hot plate thing I have one of those to and the temp is just like the lee pot up and down unless you have alot of plastic then you need to stir alot so the bottom does not burn. I want to try an electric griddle but have not had a chance to get one. Frank

Here's the simple system I use and it's very efficient for laminates.

my setup

90% of my pouring is laminated swimbaits. My system uses heat lamps. When the plastic gets to pouring temp I pour 3 or 4 bellies then put that pan back in the heat then pour the backs and so on. I can pour laminates until I run out of plastic or mold cavities without stopping. You may be able to do this with a hot plate but IMO it would be harder to control. Actually overheating is more likely to occur and I can control it by turning off the top lamp or both depending. I have 24 cavities of my 4.5" swimbait and if I mix up enough plastic I can pour all 24 in minutes without stopping. I use the same setup for my dipping plastic. I dip about a dozen baits and then put the plastic back in the heat while I'm taking those out of the water..by the time I get them dried and laid out on a tray the plastic is near ready to go again.

Here's the simple system I use and it's very efficient for laminates.

my setup

90% of my pouring is laminated swimbaits. My system uses heat lamps. When the plastic gets to pouring temp I pour 3 or 4 bellies then put that pan back in the heat then pour the backs and so on. I can pour laminates until I run out of plastic or mold cavities without stopping. You may be able to do this with a hot plate but IMO it would be harder to control. Actually overheating is more likely to occur and I can control it by turning off the top lamp or both depending. I have 24 cavities of my 4.5" swimbait and if I mix up enough plastic I can pour all 24 in minutes without stopping. I use the same setup for my dipping plastic. I dip about a dozen baits and then put the plastic back in the heat while I'm taking those out of the water..by the time I get them dried and laid out on a tray the plastic is near ready to go again.

I understand the heat lamp thing but is there two per station and what are you setting the pans on? Great idea just what I was looking for. I want something to keep thing hot so I dont have to stop.

Got the lamps at Walmart...don't remember the price...about 4 bucks...one on top and one underneath...the fixtures that hold the lamps are canister light fixtures circa 1970...they are different now but can be adapted to this use...the cheap ones are around 8 bucks I think. Back in the day I had a three burner but rarely used it so now two works great for me.

Got the lamps at Walmart...don't remember the price...about 4 bucks...one on top and one underneath...the fixtures that hold the lamps are canister light fixtures circa 1970...they are different now but can be adapted to this use...the cheap ones are around 8 bucks I think. Back in the day I had a three burner but rarely used it so now two works great for me.

Thanks Longhorn,

I just have one more questions. There are 125 watt and 250 watt ones. Which one do you use?

Thanks

Jim

the lamps are not the red ones and if I remember I'll measure the spacing. The canister fixture is not a must...they were used because the mounting flange was easily attached to a wooden table or frame. I think someone on here made one using just the cheap ceramic lamp sockets.

the lamps are not the red ones and if I remember I'll measure the spacing. The canister fixture is not a must...they were used because the mounting flange was easily attached to a wooden table or frame. I think someone on here made one using just the cheap ceramic lamp sockets.

I bought the bulbs today but now I got to find a canister fixtures rated for 250 watts .Will have to check Lowes. May have to do do some rewiring in the garage not sure my circuit will handle 1500 watts plus fluoresent lights and frig and2 microwaves. Lights dim now with 2 microwaves running. Are you running off of 110 or 220 volts? What gauge wiring? Also are your pans from lurecraft? How big in diameter are they? They have 2 different pans but dont mention sizes. Also if you measure the spacing please let me know. Thanks Again, I appreciate it

Jim

The lamp faces are about 8 1/4" apart. I'm running 110. If you were thinking of a hot plate then this should not be more watts. I doubt you'll find a canister rated for 250. You won't be running all of these things at once. A two pot setup is 1000 watts...about the same as a microwave. Most of my pans are of the type that is no longer made...I buy my new ones from Barlows Tackle Shop...they have only one size.