JDWilson

Newbie Questions

Hello all,

I have a couple of newbie questions that I can't find answers for searching through past posts. If anyone could point me to a previous post that answers some or all of these questions I would appreciate it. Otherwise, answers in following posts here would be much appreciated!

First, I just want to paint jerkbaits and crankbaits. I am not looking to hand carve my own. Just buy either existing lures and repaint, or use unpainted blanks and go from there.

1) In researching airbrushes via google before I found this board, TCP Global comes up prominentily as you all well know. And they feature "Master" brand airbrushes prominently as well. However I can't find any posts here that compare these to the others mentioned? How do Master's rate against the Iwata's, GX207, and others? I'm liking the pricing of the GX207 with the 3 tips and the 1601 compressor. But Master has some at comparable price points too...

2) I see that a lot of you use Createx paints, and that Createx must be heat cured. However I don't find any specifics as to how to heat cure it. does it mean stick them in the oven for ?? time? Or use a heat gun/hair dryer? If so for how long?

3) If I'm using Createx paint, and doing fewer than 5 lures at a time, (more likely 1 or 2 at a time) is a paint booth with ventilation needed? My workshop is in my basement. I don't want to spend a lot of $$ on vent fans and exhaust ducts unless it's absolutely necessary. Smell in the house will be an issue. I'm just looking to understand what using an airbrush with Createx will be like in the smell/ventilation areas.

Again, I'm a "haven't even started" newbie, so apologies if these questions have been answered in previous posts that I just might not have found. This looks like a great site and I have a lot of reading ahead of me!!

Thanks!

Jeff.

Hello all,

I have a couple of newbie questions that I can't find answers for searching through past posts. If anyone could point me to a previous post that answers some or all of these questions I would appreciate it. Otherwise, answers in following posts here would be much appreciated!

First, I just want to paint jerkbaits and crankbaits. I am not looking to hand carve my own. Just buy either existing lures and repaint, or use unpainted blanks and go from there.

1) In researching airbrushes via google before I found this board, TCP Global comes up prominentily as you all well know. And they feature "Master" brand airbrushes prominently as well. However I can't find any posts here that compare these to the others mentioned? How do Master's rate against the Iwata's, GX207, and others? I'm liking the pricing of the GX207 with the 3 tips and the 1601 compressor. But Master has some at comparable price points too...

2) I see that a lot of you use Createx paints, and that Createx must be heat cured. However I don't find any specifics as to how to heat cure it. does it mean stick them in the oven for ?? time? Or use a heat gun/hair dryer? If so for how long?

3) If I'm using Createx paint, and doing fewer than 5 lures at a time, (more likely 1 or 2 at a time) is a paint booth with ventilation needed? My workshop is in my basement. I don't want to spend a lot of $ on vent fans and exhaust ducts unless it's absolutely necessary. Smell in the house will be an issue. I'm just looking to understand what using an airbrush with Createx will be like in the smell/ventilation areas.

Again, I'm a "haven't even started" newbie, so apologies if these questions have been answered in previous posts that I just might not have found. This looks like a great site and I have a lot of reading ahead of me!!

Thanks!

Jeff.

I am kind of new too. But I have been finishing and painting a long time. If you are just doing a few lures at a time you might be able to convert a stove hood as a venting unit. some of them even have a light built in so you can see better. You might want to place an air filter before the intake to catch your over spray. If your basement has windows you could even replace the window with a duct of some kind so you wont have to put a hole in your sill. If you have a building salvage store in your area you could get everything you need for around $100.

I am not to knowledgeble on the createx issue, but I hope I helped you with the booth question.

1. i haven't used any of those brushes, so i don't have any input.

2. you heat set createx with a hairdryer. there isn't any set time, but you'll figure it out quickly when you over-do it and stuff starts melting and deforming. however, don't under-do it either. i generally hit the bait with the hairdryer on high for 1-2 minutes or so, usually not any more than 1.5 min, rotating the bait in front of the dryer. this is just something you'll get a feel for.

3. there really is no need for any kind of exhaust fans or ducts or significant ventilation with createx paints. all i do is drape a bedsheet over my desk and spray them in my bedroom! there is virtually no smell, and the little bit of smell that is there isn't a harsh toxic smell, its simply a paint smell lol. the smell doesn't linger at all. the paints are harmless, they're just water based acrylics.