StrykerLures

Making A Living Selling Lures?

I have made lures since the early 1990's. Did it full time for a few years but with rising costs to everything and healthcare going through the roof I am working a fulltime job and also doing lures. Riverman and Fatfingers had some great points. When you get into it to a point that more and more stores order form you it sometimes gets overwhelming. Making them all yourself pretty much eats up every minute of every day. I have cut back on my production in the past two years some because I am trying to spend more time with my kids as they are growing up but the lure making still eats up a lot of my time. I love it though. I think if you are thinking of doing it fulltime you really need to understand it is going to take up almost all your free time and you really need to love making them. I think making lures is something I will do till I die. For me its still fun. Just wish I had more time to fish!!!

Leo, how right you are when you talk about it taking up every minute. I have been making baits for less than 5 years and it is all consuming but consuming in an addictive way. It is definitely something I will be doing till I die.

]

, .making lures and selling at a professional level becomes a lifestyle. we have been at it for 25 years. i started out custom painting baits. then came contract work. injecting our own product into the scheme of it al to keep the lights turned on. you cannot count hours... if you do decide have a business plan, be honest and above all marry a girl thats understanding.

woodie hit the nail on the head when he said about marry the right girl. I'm lucky that my wife is supportive of me making lures but she also helps with all the ordering of paints, hardware, packages and helps out assembling. The other thing with making lures is it sort of takes over your house too. My dining room for years was used more for assembling than for us eating in there. My wife finally I think had it this past year and when I had my new shop built we made an area just for assembling. Funnest thing with making them though is hearing from people that are all excited and telling you stories about what they caught. That makes it all worth while.

wait a minute here your telling me you can make money building fishing lures? LOL I'm going about it all wrong

Everyone here makes some kind of lures, But to those who sell them, Do you and Can you make a living Selling them? I've only sold a few Bucktails on e-bay so far. But they don't sell as well as I hoped they would, I mostly make Musky lures and I'm starting to make Wood Musky lures. Do any of you guys sell enough to make a decent living off of it?

After reading this a lot of guys are right on the money. If you love to fish and spend time with your family this is not the business that you want to be in. You will start of making all the lures that you can make and when thats not enough and thats when you have to hire help and thats when every thing changes. I have been in the business for twenty eight years and I have seen it all when it comes to help. Another thing that you have to deal with on a regular basis is the federal goverment wich will take a lot of your time dealing with them. I have been ask so many times how did you come up with a business building lures thats is worth two million?, and I tell everybody it is easy , Invest five million and wait two to three years and you will have one. I advise working for the big guns or selling your ideas to one of them, And you will make more money and all the time to spend with your family and fish. Im sure this is not what you wanted to hear but this is the truth. Hope this will help you.

Caster

wait a minute here your telling me you can make money building fishing lures? LOL I'm going about it all wrong

Come on Salty - I saw you getting out of that Bentley at the Providence show. I'll bet when you go down to the bank, they treat you like Jed Clampett.