Lure--Prof

Flw Magazine Changes

Speaking for myself, I really hate to see changes at FLW's magazine...for my money it has been the best bass fishing mag available. BASS has become so editorially authoritative,so full of itself, you'd think they actually invented bass fishing. FLW Outdoors, under Jason Sealock's capable editorship, continued to explore all that is Bass Fishing from various viewpoints in a much more open-minded manner than only that of only touring professionals, which seems to be the BASS route these days. In BASS's case, the tail is wagging the dog, as they seem to have forgotten that there would be no pros or tournaments without the support of the rank and file anglers, many of whom were carving bass lures and practicing catch and release long before Ray Scott ever came along. Of course, what happens these days, if ESPN can't sell advertizing for the BASSMASTERS TV show? We know too that touring pros do actually sometimes use lures that aren't made by sponsors, but I won't tell if you won't. ;)

Realizing that a lot of bass fishers are also hunters, and no doubt being aware of the potential for previously untapped advertising dollars, FLW CEO Charlie Evans has hired the very experienced Colin Moore as editor-in-chief, for their new FLW Outdoors hunting and fishing magazine. For me, it simply means there's going to be less about bass fishing in the magazine and bass fishing has always been why I buy it instead of the general topic style mags. I wish them success, if for no other reason than they're a show of force for fishermen and fishermen's rights.

We'll see...

Dean

Dean - Like it or not, advertising and not your 2 dollars per issue are NOT what pays for the magazine. You are just paying for the postage to mail it to you. Costs are continually going up so it is a necessity of staying in business to contain expenses and increase revenues. Advertising dollars are easier to increase than cutting costs because so many of the costs of producing the magazine are not in FLW's control.

I don't hunt so the additional content will not be of interest to be either but since my financial situation requires me to go with the online e-zine for 5 dollars per year, I am grateful to get the content that I can get., even if it gets down scaled.

Dave

The Editor that just left FLW Magazine, Jason Sealock, is now over at Wired2Fish.com. Be sure to stop by and check out the changes taking place over there. Lots of big doings going on there, like their first TV spots on ESPN (also available on the site) Jason will make a great addition to their team.

Dave,

I understand how the money dynamic works at a magazine, which is why I commented. In FLW's case, they show member numbers (which would be more valuable than mere subscriber numbers, because members are viewed as true enthusiasts, who are the target audience for specific niche advertisers) to advertisers to justify their ad rates, and as a member I voiced my concerns regarding their change of direction. In an age of media specialization, where some big name general interest outdoor magazines have fallen by the wayside, FLW has decided to become a Bass Tournament and-All-Kinds-of-Hunting Magazine, because many bass fishermen also like to hunt? Why not become a Bass and Other Species fishing magazine, because many bass fishermen also like to fish for Crappie, Muskie, Stripers and Bluegill? It just seems like a scattershot attempt to lure new advertizer dollars after losing Wal-Mart and Ranger money.

Dwayne,

That's great news about Jason and Wired2Fish.com

Thanks for the info! I'll be stoppping by.

Dean