StrykerLures

Perfectly Smooth Clear Coating?

I was wondering If anyone can give me some good hints and tips on getting a perfect clear coat? When I clear coat it drips, but I wipe it off. but there always seems to be somewhere that didn't get coated or where it built up. Also Bubbles, When I mix it, it always get to get some bubbles, how can I mix it without bubbles? or how do I get the bubbles to pop after I've already put it on (but its not dry)? Any tips would be EXTREMELY Appreciated. I've almost had a perfect coat once or twice. but theres always something that messes it up, I heard if you take a blow torch to it for a split second to pop the bubble. how do you guys do it? Thanks a lot guys. - Bryan

I was wondering If anyone can give me some good hints and tips on getting a perfect clear coat? When I clear coat it drips, but I wipe it off. but there always seems to be somewhere that didn't get coated or where it built up. Also Bubbles, When I mix it, it always get to get some bubbles, how can I mix it without bubbles? or how do I get the bubbles to pop after I've already put it on (but its not dry)? Any tips would be EXTREMELY Appreciated. I've almost had a perfect coat once or twice. but theres always something that messes it up, I heard if you take a blow torch to it for a split second to pop the bubble. how do you guys do it? Thanks a lot guys. - Bryan

Hey bud,

If you want a perfect finish like I do. I'd rather take 3 days to paint a lure and the finish is quality rather than rush a production job.

Build yourself a rotating jig. I use a little motor that works in air conditioners to turn the fins or in a microwave to turn the plate. They do about 6 RPM or something like that. They are dirt cheap, I just got another one and it cost me about $15. I'll post a pic for you.

Then you can spray 15 coats straight until it bleeds properly. Wait till dry and smooth with 600-800# water paper, use water!. Then repeat it will give you a thick durable smooth finish.

If you're using epoxy, try using a heat gun to pop the bubbles. Be careful not to overheat the lure if you use this method. I've tried using a flame to pop bubbles in epoxy finish before, and it's very easy to ruin the finish this way. There's also a new product called Bubble Buster™ that is supposed to remove bubbles from epoxy. I haven't tried it but it looks good in the video.

Hope this helps.

Ben

You never said what clear coat you are using. Because if you are using one with solvent in it, you may not want to put a flame to it. Post what you are using and the answers will be more specific. Frank

If you are getting bubbles in your devcon you may be mixing it to fast before you put it on the bait I have had problems with that in the past. Also with your finish you need a drying wheel of some sort. They are easy to build. I actually just use a cordless drill for the times I only finish one bait at a time. All you have to do is take one table clamp (for clamping wood or anything together) and put it so the handle side is up then clamp your cordless drill down with another then rig up a hook for the head of the drill a d put a swivel on the other clamp and put tour bait in and eig the drill to spin very slow (I have a dealt that has high and low speeds I set it on the low speed). While it spins brush your epoxy on and then you can let it spin till the battery is dead. You should have an extremely smooth coat od epoxy then. I know it sound like a lot of work but it takes about 2 minutes to set up. I would post you a picture but I am writing this on my phone and can't upload photos on it. Hope it helps and good luck

Jeremy

If it's Enviro-tech you are using..............I just use a long handled bbq style lighter, hold lure with a vice grip, and run the flame all over the bait. If you hold it in one place too long you will see black swirls. Just keep it moving it does not take long at all, just be sure to hit all areas of the bait. This has been working for me. Also, do this with the bait right after covering it with the epoxy. If you still have extra in the mixing cup, you can always brush off any burn marks if you left any. Just re swab the area and then use the lighter again. This works with enviro tech. This should help. I don't know that it is neccessary to use a torch. -I'm sure they last longer though.

MULE