JIGnJ()N

Color Shifting

Hey Guys,

I'm new to airbrushing and was wondering how some of you get the color shifting affect kinda like the glimmer blue/silver on some of the cranks I have seen. What kind of paints are used? I've had my airbrush for about 3 months and I use the Createx water based paints. Thanks for any info and tips. It's very much appreciated!

Jon

Hey Guys,

I'm new to airbrushing and was wondering how some of you get the color shifting affect kinda like the glimmer blue/silver on some of the cranks I have seen. What kind of paints are used? I've had my airbrush for about 3 months and I use the Createx water based paints. Thanks for any info and tips. It's very much appreciated!

Jon

-

I think a lot of those colors are everything, 'but' Createx. I only spray Createx for the convenience of it; and looked into some color shift stuff; but could only find other brands/types of paints that had a color shift. Most were pretty pricey, or were lacquers and things; so I passed on them.

-

Also, I did try 2 of the Createx iridescent colors that claim to have a color shift. The purple kinda shifts from light to dark, the blue did very little.

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I will stick with the water based createx due to ease of use and I paint indoors. Maybe they will come out witha color shifting water based sometime or other. I appreciate all the info and Thanks Frank for that link. I've got it bookmarked. It looks like they have some pretty cool stuff.

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I will stick with the water based createx due to ease of use and I paint indoors. Maybe they will come out witha color shifting water based sometime or other. I appreciate all the info and Thanks Frank for that link. I've got it bookmarked. It looks like they have some pretty cool stuff.

You can use this brand with yours it is the same company. Auto Air and createx I mean.

Ok, I was looking over the Auto Air colors and was wondering. Is the 4300 Series Iridecent colors waterbased? Here's a link. It's the ones at the bottom of the page. It may say that they are ,but I couldn't find anything or at least it didn't jump out and slap me in the face! laugh.gif

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autoaircolor/special-fx-colors-4300.aspx

Ok, I was looking over the Auto Air colors and was wondering. Is the 4300 Series Iridecent colors waterbased? Here's a link. It's the ones at the bottom of the page. It may say that they are ,but I couldn't find anything or at least it didn't jump out and slap me in the face! laugh.gif

You can get a little bit of that effect with Createx. It's not so much a color shift, but if you lightly layer pearls and transparents, and spray from different angles, one color will tend to dominate at certain angles of view.

That whole line is water based. I work in the auto body Industry and have used many many of these paint ,but in the solvent based versions. Auto air on the other hand is all water based. It is the only line that has pretty much the same colors as say like house of color. I do have one of the color shift colors but it did not look like I wanted it to so it is on the shelf. What are you planning on using it for? The undercoat is very important to get the results you see on the chip. Hope all this is helping you out. Frank

That whole line is water based. I work in the auto body Industry and have used many many of these paint ,but in the solvent based versions. Auto air on the other hand is all water based. It is the only line that has pretty much the same colors as say like house of color. I do have one of the color shift colors but it did not look like I wanted it to so it is on the shelf. What are you planning on using it for? The undercoat is very important to get the results you see on the chip. Hope all this is helping you out. Frank

Hey Frank, Thanks for the advice. As of right now, I'm just starting out painting the clear plastic bodies from Jann's. I'm wanting to try some shad patterns with the white basecoat, some silver pearl and then somthing like a glimmer blue that will shift in the sunlight. I bought a bait the other day with that glimmer. That sparked my intrest.

I think I will agree with dsv cause manufactured baits probably dont use this kind of stuff. $$$$ Frank

Thanks for the replies. I've been using the createx (water bases and easy for the begginer) I've got some pearlized silver that I used when trying a bluegill pattern. I've been using a basecoat of white and then I will spray the pearl silver over that to give it a little flash. I'll look into that auto air also. I wished there was a local store that sold it so i could eyeball it real good before buying somthing I don't have a clue what it looks like.

Here's a few of the cranks I've done since i got my airbrush. This is a VERY addictive hobby! I'm still trying to get a glassy smooth clear coat. I've had a few that's been lumpy, but I think It was my mixing ratios of epoxy.

Thanks for all the help and tips guys, This is a great site!

016.jpg

018.jpg

030.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

004-4.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I've been using the createx (water bases and easy for the begginer) I've got some pearlized silver that I used when trying a bluegill pattern. I've been using a basecoat of white and then I will spray the pearl silver over that to give it a little flash. I'll look into that auto air also. I wished there was a local store that sold it so i could eyeball it real good before buying somthing I don't have a clue what it looks like.

Here's a few of the cranks I've done since i got my airbrush. This is a VERY addictive hobby! I'm still trying to get a glassy smooth clear coat. I've had a few that's been lumpy, but I think It was my mixing ratios of epoxy.

Thanks for all the help and tips guys, This is a great site!

016.jpg

018.jpg

030.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

004-4.jpg

Nice looking baits. I really like the last one.