benniejordaan

Purple Heart - Popper

These trees are prized for their beautiful heartwood which, when cut, quickly turns from a dark brown to a rich purple colour. Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light darkens the wood to a brown colour with a slight hue of the original purple. This effect can be minimized with a finish containing a UV inhibitor. The dry wood is very hard and dense with a specific gravity of 0.86 (54 lb/ft^3 or 860 kg/m^3). This wood is quite dense, and if it is to be worked, then a sharp carbide blade is required to cut it. For uses of this wood it is prized for fine inlay work, wood turning, cabinetry, flooring, and furniture. The dust can cause nausea. The wood is also known as amaranth and violet wood. Over harvesting has caused several species to become endangered in areas where they were once abundant.

P3310043.jpg

P3310045.jpg

Tomorrow I'll finish rigging it.

Wow, the Purple Heart really makes for a beautiful lure, thanks for sharing the pics.. My father uses purple heart all the time in his woodworking.. He makes clocks & uses it sparringly to add detail to the wood toys he makes: Highly detailed backhoes, tractors & whatnot.. I made some plunker surface lures out of Zebra , another fine exotic wood well worth turning...... Lilac bushes are another fine looking wood if you can find a piece old enough to get a turning from the heartwood.. In the center it has a multitude of light to medium purple shades all thru it...

JP~

Wow, the Purple Heart really makes for a beautiful lure, thanks for sharing the pics.. My father uses purple heart all the time in his woodworking.. He makes clocks & uses it sparringly to add detail to the wood toys he makes: Highly detailed backhoes, tractors & whatnot.. I made some plunker surface lures out of Zebra , another fine exotic wood well worth turning...... Lilac bushes are another fine looking wood if you can find a piece old enough to get a turning from the heartwood.. In the center it has a multitude of light to medium purple shades all thru it...

JP~

Cool looking bait. It is always fun using unique woods.