circuit sniffer

Jig Heads For Spinner Bait

Ok I'm new here and to custom tackel so thanks for the help and such a nice forum/site

so with that said I was wondering if anyone has or what the thoughts on using a standard

jig head to make a spinner jig by bending wire and fusing it to the jig head

and yes I now I can buy pre made heads and I could buy the tools to pour my own

but just wondering if this would be a option

sorry my spelling and grammer are bad hope to hear some others thoughts

Ok I'm new here and to custom tackel so thanks for the help and such a nice forum/site

so with that said I was wondering if anyone has or what the thoughts on using a standard

jig head to make a spinner jig by bending wire and fusing it to the jig head

and yes I now I can buy pre made heads and I could buy the tools to pour my own

but just wondering if this would be a option

sorry my spelling and grammer are bad hope to hear some others thoughts

No, you could get a spinnerbait mold, or modify a jig mold so it'll accept a wire. The wire has to go through the hook eye or there's no way it'll be strong enough.

I don't think you can braze lead really. Melts at too low a temp.

Yes I would say that I would have to put the wire through the eye loop then bend it closed.

To make it solid I was thinking solder or brazing it (just the loops) together. am I correct in that the loop/eye in a standerd jig head is indead the hook eye

yes I know this is not the best or strongest method but would it be a plosiable alternative to buy premade heads and/or pouring my own

again thanks for all the help and this is just all informatinal I have premade heads and a kit on the way

I only asked because my local shop only stocks standerd jig heads no spinner or buzz heads so that got me thinking

Edited by circuit sniffer

Yes I would say that I would have to put the wire through the eye loop then bend it closed.

To make it solid I was thinking solder or brazing it (just the loops) together. am I correct in that the loop/eye in a standerd jig head is indead the hook eye

yes I know this is not the best or strongest method but would it be a plosiable alternative to buy premade heads and/or pouring my own

again thanks for all the help and this is just all informatinal I have premade heads and a kit on the way

I only asked because my local shop only stocks standerd jig heads no spinner or buzz heads so that got me thinking

Why not just a jig spinner arm. You can buy them from lots of places and also easy to make. While they just snap to the jig head instead of solidly fuzed, I'm not sure that's all that important

Why not just a jig spinner arm. You can buy them from lots of places and also easy to make. While they just snap to the jig head instead of solidly fuzed, I'm not sure that's all that important

You could try it.....Yes, the line tie on a jighead is part of the actual hook. I just don't think brazing it would be strong enough to hold up past the first hookset.

But......really the only way to know for sure is to try it.

i think this is what cooney and jsc are talking about am i correct

Beetle Spin

The Johnson Tackle Company introduce the clip-on jig/spinner over twenty years ago for people who like using small jighead and soft plastic body combinations. Typically used for panfish, other sport species also attack the bait. A small blade is attached by a swivel (the as for overhead arm spinnerbaits), but the wire frame is formed into a spring clip that opens to allow a jighead to be attached by sliding the jig eye into position such that the jig hook runs in the same direction as the overhead blade.

Jighead dressings are on the short, more compact side and variable in material and design. The curl tail grub is popular, along with straight tail plastics and hair. The original jig dressing was called the cricket, a straight, double-tailed soft plastic creature that had little action except that it wagged up and down and side-to-side behind the spinning blade or with variations in retrieve speed. As the Beetle Spin became more popular, more designs were introduced and softer plastic was used for better action. Many species of fish will hit a Beetle Spin combo.

I was thinking braseing weld/tacking or soldering it to the eye loop

Highly NOT recommended for this reason....hooks are heat tempered and the soldering/brazing/welding operation will remove the temper from the hook eye, making it soft enough to bend fairly easily. You'll wind up losing a big fish & getting your heart broke when the eye straightens out & your jig leaves the wire arm. Sorry to bust your idea, but I'd hate to see ya do all that work just to see it fail to hold your fish.

Highly NOT recommended for this reason....hooks are heat tempered and the soldering/brazing/welding operation will remove the temper from the hook eye, making it soft enough to bend fairly easily. You'll wind up losing a big fish & getting your heart broke when the eye straightens out & your jig leaves the wire arm. Sorry to bust your idea, but I'd hate to see ya do all that work just to see it fail to hold your fish.

ok thank you for the info, but my i ask a ? What is the difference in leading the hook eye and wire arm would you not be doing the same thing then?

just a ? im learning and trying to understand.

and if it makes a difference i would not be heating the hook and wire arm rather the brazing rod/or solder and poring/driping molten media on to the two in the joint

i would like to restate that i have ordered spinner jig heads to use. This was just a thought. I'm asking for input on the idea and am grateful for any and all tips/advice and been there scratch that's. I like to learn from my mistakes and i also like to go in knowing what im in for or a possible out come of my actions. I'm shore every good inventor did not get it the first try and many people said that's not possible and it may not have been but look at all the other great things that were. Again thank you for the ideas and help :D

Actualy if you "wire" a spinner harness to a jig head you get a spinner bait with a little extra action ... really good with a curly tail grub.

JSC

Circuit Sniffer, About four years ago, I came up with this design for a spinner bait. Maybe this will help you.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=198

I showed it to Robby (Jaw Jacker) Cochran. Robby told me it reminded him of a big Beetle Spin. It does have some similiarities and as JSC says about the Beetle Spin, it does have that little extra action and a different look that I think triggers the bite. I think it is one of the best spinnerbaits around for slow rolling or waking the surface. I am no rocket scientist but I think I am getting much stronger vibrations with this set-up because the weight is not on the wire absorbing those vibes. You could do as JSC says and attach a jig to a spinner bait wire by bending a small cross wise loop in the wire or by using a flat-eye jig and a verticle loop. I think you would like what you get. John