BrownPigs

Best Scale Material And Why?

I was wondering what everyone thought was the best material for painting scales and why? Are different materials better for different types of baits? I have been using the netting off of 30 cent minnow nets

I think that the 'best' netting is the stuff that has properties that are conducive to laying it out over a bait. I prefer cotton or some material other than nylon. Nylon is somewhat stiff and does not like to behave when you're trying to stretch it over the curves areas of a bait.

Other than that, it is a matter of preference as to the recesses provided by the netting. Generally I favor smaller netting for certain areas on a bait and I like stuff that has interesting and different patterns.

finescale2.jpg

I go out looking for new stuff 2 or 3 times a year. Good stuff can be hard to find, but if you keep your eyes open, you'll come across some interesting patterns in stores that specialize in cloth materials and sewing stuff.

Don't overlook the grocery store either. The stuff used to contain various fruits and vegetables can be excellent...and you get you carbs and fiber requirements too.

CaveDwellereyes.jpg

I think that the 'best' netting is the stuff that has properties that are conducive to laying it out over a bait. I prefer cotton or some material other than nylon. Nylon is somewhat stiff and does not like to behave when you're trying to stretch it over the curves areas of a bait.

What fatfingers said x2

I was wondering what everyone thought was the best material for painting scales and why? Are different materials better for different types of baits? I have been using the netting off of 30 cent minnow nets

very similiar to the minnow net material in weave is bridal veil tulle material. Good fabric stores have it, comes in infinite variations of weave and weave size and a few cents buys yards of it. Looks and feels like that net material but is now way that strong, strickly ornamental but works good on lures.

a couple examples:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4410/mineq.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9962/mskx.jpg

I have read in many other posts that ask this question people are using the round scrubies you can buy at Walmart for 99 cents. They say it stretches and has a nice pattern. I have not personally tried them tho. I went to the fabric section of wallyworld and bought a ton of fabrik for cheap and in my couple years at this i have not ran out. Here is what it looks like on a lure....

CIMG1849.jpg