Johnn

Weighting Swimbaits

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to the board and I thought that this would be a good first post for me to make. My question is in regards to hard swimbaits. I want to take single-jointed waking baits, or slow sinkers, and somehow figure out how to weight them to get them down in the water column. I like the idea of the sinking version of the 7 in 3:16 Hyper Herring ( http://www.316lurecompany.com/baits/hh.html ) I want to fish this bait as a mackerel imitation in salt water and that is why I need a fast sinker that I can get down to 30+ feet and slow roll. I need to do this without affecting the action of the bait too much, just a good slow tail kick from the single joint. If anything I will use a DEPS Silent Killer as my starting bait and modify that because the action is exactly what I need. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to the board and I thought that this would be a good first post for me to make. My question is in regards to hard swimbaits. I want to take single-jointed waking baits, or slow sinkers, and somehow figure out how to weight them to get them down in the water column. I like the idea of the sinking version of the 7 in 3:16 Hyper Herring ( http://www.316lurecompany.com/baits/hh.html ) I want to fish this bait as a mackerel imitation in salt water and that is why I need a fast sinker that I can get down to 30+ feet and slow roll. I need to do this without affecting the action of the bait too much, just a good slow tail kick from the single joint. If anything I will use a DEPS Silent Killer as my starting bait and modify that because the action is exactly what I need. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thirty feet is deep on a cast for any lure!

If you want to get a bait like the hyper herring that deep I would put a one/two ounce casting weight in front of it with a 12" leader and go for it. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0002176312426a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=trolling+weights&Ntk=Products&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

If you are going to troll them you might also consider a diver. I use these for salmon and they work really well. http://www.cabelas.com/p-0000051110139a.shtml

RM

Edited by RiverMan

A casting weight is an idea that I have actually toyed with and tried. The problem is the style of fishing we're doing is along breakwaters and parallel to jetties. The casting weight tends to get hung up in the rip rap on the bottom and I need a way to maintain constant contact with the bait itself. Fast sinking trout style baits work well for this purpose, but they don't have the right action at all. Maybe it would be better to try to build a completely new bait all together?

A casting weight is an idea that I have actually toyed with and tried. The problem is the style of fishing we're doing is along breakwaters and parallel to jetties. The casting weight tends to get hung up in the rip rap on the bottom and I need a way to maintain constant contact with the bait itself. Fast sinking trout style baits work well for this purpose, but they don't have the right action at all. Maybe it would be better to try to build a completely new bait all together?

I would try taking a hyper herring and making a mold of it then you can make one that has the rate of fall properties you are looking for. And since you will probably have to have a lot of weight in it to fish it down 30 ft it might be hard to have that much weight and get the right action. So having a mold and being able to make resin copies will allow you to play around with things a bit.

Another options would be to take one of the slow sink hyper herrings and add suspend strips and put those on the bait. If you need even more weight you can wrap weights around the hook shanks.