Quick Question Please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BigFoot

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

Well, I am new here, obviously. I have been doing research the last year on lure making and finally decided to give it a whirl. Now I know a lot of us don't like Wal-Mart but I was at one and saw the Cotton Cordelle's on sell for 2 dollars and bought 6 of these crankbaits, 2 of each color, and they have great action and I have been catching bass left and right on them. For some reason, if nothing else works, they do. Well I was going to go stock up on somemore and my friend wanted a few and lord and behold, they were sold out and not getting anymore in. Well the pond I fish I found one washed up on the bank, not mine but noone was around so I cleaned it up and I want to make a mold of it and paint it different colors then those 3 that it came in. Now my question is how do you mold hollow body crank baits? I have seen the video of the older guy, Larry Dahlberg, on the whopper plopper videos he used something where he called it a skin I guess, but I have no idea what I would do or use to make hollow cranks so I could add rattles and such. Just need some help, if anyone could help that would be grand. Thanks!

#2 Peterjay

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Considering the low sale price, unless the manufacturer has discontinued the product, you can save yourself a lot of trouble by going online and looking for another source. By the time you get set up to make your own, those $2 lures are going to end up costing you ten times what you paid at Walmart. Even if they've been discontinued, I'll guarantee that somebody, somewhere, is peddling knock-offs if the lures were any good to start with.