RayburnGuy

Sonic Jewelry Cleaners And Airbrush Restrorer

Wouldn't suggest using this combination. And yes, I read the warnings on the restorer. They said it "dissolves soft plastics". I took this to mean plastics such as those used in plastic bags and that sort of thing. The tray in the jewelry cleaner was definitely not "soft". Not to the touch anyway. It was actually toward the brittle side and would no doubt break if flexed too much. After leaving the parts to clean in it overnight I opened it this morning to find a white, cloudy goo. It had indeed started dissolving the tray the parts were in. If you think cleaning dried paint out of a nozzle is hard you should try cleaning dissolved plastic out of one. :censored: Still haven't gotten it clean and the seal between the needle and nozzle is ruined. Sure glad I ordered an extra needle and nozzle when purchasing the brush. I still plan on giving the jewelry cleaner and restorer another try, but will be lining the tray with aluminum foil next time. Will let ya'll know how that turns out.

Edited by RayburnGuy

Thanks Luke. I needed a good chuckle after the way my day started. :yay:

Keep your airbrush out of the ultrasonic. A couple brushes, paper towels and lacquer thinner (acetone if you're using createx) is ALL you need to clean it. If you're cleaning it properly, you can do just as good a job as the ultrasonic will do in about 5 minutes. Then you don't have to worry about any water or solvents getting where they're not supposed to.

If you insist on using it, just get a small glass and fill the cleaner with plain water, fill the glass with your solvent of choice. The ultrasonic waves go right through the glass and you won't melt anything. Fill the water and the solvent inside the glass to the same level. I'd suggest not letting anything past the paint cup on the airbrush get into the cleaner. You don't want to get the air valve wet with solvents, might swell orings and cause the trigger to stick.

Edited by clamboni

Keep your airbrush out of the ultrasonic. A couple brushes, paper towels and lacquer thinner (acetone if you're using createx) is ALL you need to clean it. If you're cleaning it properly, you can do just as good a job as the ultrasonic will do in about 5 minutes. Then you don't have to worry about any water or solvents getting where they're not supposed to.

If you insist on using it, just get a small glass and fill the cleaner with plain water, fill the glass with your solvent of choice. The ultrasonic waves go right through the glass and you won't melt anything. Fill the water and the solvent inside the glass to the same level. I'd suggest not letting anything past the paint cup on the airbrush get into the cleaner. You don't want to get the air valve wet with solvents, might swell orings and cause the trigger to stick.

I wasn't trying to clean the whole brush with the jewelry cleaner. Mostly just the nozzle and nozzle cap. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. Should have been more clear on the subject.

I wasn't trying to clean the whole brush with the jewelry cleaner. Mostly just the nozzle and nozzle cap. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. Should have been more clear on the subject.

no big deal........try the glass though. If you're just doing that you can use a shot glass. You use a lot less cleaner that way and it being in the glass has no effect on the cleaning whatsoever.

Also, just so you know, for whatever reason, some cleaners don't work any better in the ultrasonic than just soaking. I don't know why it works so incredibly well with some but makes absolutely no difference with others.

Try some simple green diluted 10:1 or 20:1. it's amazing what you can remove with that stuff. I've taken factory paint off of reels soaking them for a couple days in a hot solution.

If you do your own reel servicing, use it for that too. Get what grease you can off the parts quickly, and use 20:1. use the little glass again for bearings, first with naptha then acetone, you'd be amazed at the dirt you can get out of a single bearing that you thought was clean before.