alcapone2005

Floating Jig Heads

whats up folks....new to this site, hope it works out. I'm looking for info on making my own floating heads, such as types of materials molds ect. Been hitting maumee alot and you lose alot of gear, and it adds up..so I was hopeing to say alittle money. Any help or insite would help alot... Until then "TIGHT LINES"

whats up folks....new to this site, hope it works out. I'm looking for info on making my own floating heads, such as types of materials molds ect. Been hitting maumee alot and you lose alot of gear, and it adds up..so I was hopeing to say alittle money. Any help or insite would help alot... Until then "TIGHT LINES"

i am new as well and this sounds like a nice idea. so BUMP FOR ANSWER also...what about that foam in a can stuff...it eapands so you would use very litle at a time and a good coat sealer/primer plus base and clear should make for nice colors and sealing it. i also know there is a foam you can mix and pour. i dont rememebr the name but i wantched people use it to shape custom speaker boxes...maybe check a marine store? OR what about using an old styrophome cooler...shape each half, glue to gether then finish with the sealer/primer and base/clear??? i think that with a sinco would have a fall rate that would just keep it in the strike zone....maybe even be able to suspend it :D

i am new as well and this sounds like a nice idea. so BUMP FOR ANSWER also...what about that foam in a can stuff...it eapands so you would use very litle at a time and a good coat sealer/primer plus base and clear should make for nice colors and sealing it. i also know there is a foam you can mix and pour. i dont rememebr the name but i wantched people use it to shape custom speaker boxes...maybe check a marine store? OR what about using an old styrophome cooler...shape each half, glue to gether then finish with the sealer/primer and base/clear??? i think that with a sinco would have a fall rate that would just keep it in the strike zone....maybe even be able to suspend it :D

I have been tryinh to find some expandable plastic to use in my do-it molds. I heard that you can also use the hard plastic packing from a tv or radio. You just grind it up to small beads and it will still expand.....

I used to buy the material online. A guy used to sell it on ebay. Made 500 or so . Paint with wal mart paint covered them with envirotec. They turn out beautiful .The key is to have a outdoor burner like a old turkey fryer and 3 molds. Then you can rotate molds be cause it take 9-15 minutes a batch . Its time consuming but fairly cheap to do. The only thing different is your boiling water to make the bait. Like anything else its practice practice. If you need any more info pm me and I might make a video on how to do it if you guys are really interested.

I used to buy the material online. A guy used to sell it on ebay. Made 500 or so . Paint with wal mart paint covered them with envirotec. They turn out beautiful .The key is to have a outdoor burner like a old turkey fryer and 3 molds. Then you can rotate molds be cause it take 9-15 minutes a batch . Its time consuming but fairly cheap to do. The only thing different is your boiling water to make the bait. Like anything else its practice practice. If you need any more info pm me and I might make a video on how to do it if you guys are really interested.

You did not say what the material was. I am interested and would like to read more. Thanks.

Dave

Expanded Polystyrene AKA sytrofoam

I have never heard of it used for jigs, but duck decoys are made from it by some DIY guys. The have some closed molds and the put EPS pellets in them and then boil the mold which expands the EPS to fill the mold.

I am going to assume you need to cool you mold each time or drop a pellet in and close it fast with the hook ready. Read up on EPS and duck decoys or molding with EPS pellets.

I also fish the maumee for walleye season and use floating jig heads.  Cheapest way i have found to make floaters is to use caulk rope.  Uses a standard jig hook, a razor blade, and a hot glue gun.  Walmart even carries al lthe material cheap. I bought 1/2 caulk rope. they only had it in a charcoal color but you can buy it in white.  Cut the 1/2 caulk rope into 1/2 inch lengths with the razor blade, then make a cut 1/4 in and 1/4 down through each piece.  A small squirt of hot glue in slit and slip jig hook into slot.  Squeeze the foam shut for 5 secs and you have a floater tha holds up quite well and is very cheap to make.  simple too. will try to find a pic to post or possibly a tutorial in the future.

Material:

1/2 inch caulk rope.

Hot Glue Sticks

1/0 Jig Hooks

Tools:

Razor Blade or razor knife

Hot Glue gun