atrophius

Gluing Eyes And Lips

I have been using etex to cement in my hook eyes and lips. Is there anythng thats good that i can use that would be a little faster? I was curious if anyone tried gorilla glue or anything like that? Any suggestions?

Pretty sure I've read some posts here at TU that some folks are using the 5 minute Devcon epoxy to glue their lips in. Not sure about the eyes. I don't bother gluing the eyes. I just stick them on with the adhesive backing they come with and top coat over them.

Any epoxy, including the 5 minute quick cure variety will hold strongly. The only problem with quick cure epoxy is that if there's any squeeze-out from the slot and you don't remove it, it will turn brown in a few months. Also, having only 2-3 minutes to adjust a lip is not enough time for me! My solution is to use Devcon Two Ton 30 minute epoxy. It stays clear on the bait for a long time, allows adjustment for 10 minutes, and you can mix one batch of it to do the lips and hardware on a small batch of baits before it gets too hard. I install lips and hardware with Devcon and can go ahead and clear coat the bait in 2 hours. I think most brands of "30 minute" epoxy glues would have similar performance. Envirotex, being a thinned pour-on finish epoxy, is TOO slow for me.

I would not put together lips and hook hangers in terms of gluing them in. For the twisted wire eyes I use, a 2 hours epoxy is better than A 30 min. epoxy such as Devcon 2T, because it allows me to glue the twisted eyes into more crankbaits than in the case of using a 30 min. epoxy. From what I have learned here on TU, etex is a longer cure epoxy, so I think it could be used successfully for the hook or tow eyes.

The lips require a shorter cure time for the epoxy, and Devcon 2 ton is perfect for the job. You can also use a 5 or 10 min. epoxy, but with an epoxy mix you can glue in 1, max. 2 lips.

If you use a longer cure time epoxy for the lips, you have to permanently check the alignment of the lips until the epoxy hardens a little bit. While the lure hangs on an S wire, you might have the unpleasant surprise ( I know it because it happened to me) that the lip moves a little bit left or right, especially if the lip has a little play in the lipslot. I always leave a little play in the lip slot so I can align the lip from every direction.

Or, you could use any type of fast glue just to glue the lip in place, and then, while spreading the epoxy on the lure as topcoat, pay attention to glue the lip all around the edge where it meets the body of the lure.

I use Cyanoacrylate or simply called CA. Its basically a super glue that hobbiest use. put it on the lip, line tie or whatever and place where you want...then spray with an accelerator and it is set in seconds. Doenst expand or brown. Probably not as good as 2 ton expoxy but it works for my purposes.