cereal killer

Scale Mesh ?

Hello all. I am looking for a mesh that I can use to make scales on my plug s. I've seen the ones for sale by Jann's Netcraft , Luremaking.com, and Stamina. I am looking for a hexagon shaped mesh scale and I'm not interested in using tulle or onion baggies. I've looked at least 9 craft and linen stores, 6 hardware stores and at least 5 sporting good stores. I've seen some that are ok, but not really what I have in my mind. I need them 6 sided and large. I figured I might as well ask the experts here if such a thing exists. Thanks for your help.

Hello all. I am looking for a mesh that I can use to make scales on my plug s. I've seen the ones for sale by Jann's Netcraft , Luremaking.com, and Stamina. I am looking for a hexagon shaped mesh scale and I'm not interested in using tulle or onion baggies. I've looked at least 9 craft and linen stores, 6 hardware stores and at least 5 sporting good stores. I've seen some that are ok, but not really what I have in my mind. I need them 6 sided and large. I figured I might as well ask the experts here if such a thing exists. Thanks for your help.

Take a look at the scale pattern below and see if it's anything close to what your talking about. I got that netting off the back of a dish washing sponge from the Dollar Store. The sponge has cloth on one side and netting on the other. Keep in mind that the shape of the scale pattern can be determined to some extent by how tightly it is stretched on the bait. If you'll notice the scales toward the back of the bait are more of the hexagon shape your describing. If you don't have a Dollar Store, or can't find them, you might try looking at the type of netting that comes on some of the sponges designed to clean bugs off your windshield. They should have those at either Wal-Mart or an auto supply.

4-10-2010 004.jpg

4-10-2010 004.jpg

4-10-2010 004.jpg

4-10-2010 004.jpg

4-10-2010 004.jpg

4-10-2010 004.jpg

4-10-2010 004.jpg

4-10-2010 004.jpg

post-21848-127120005209_thumb.jpg

Edited by RayburnGuy

Take a look at the scale pattern below and see if it's anything close to what your talking about. I got that netting off the back of a dish washing sponge from the Dollar Store. The sponge has cloth on one side and netting on the other. Keep in mind that the shape of the scale pattern can be determined to some extent by how tightly it is stretched on the bait. If you'll notice the scales toward the back of the bait are more of the hexagon shape your describing. If you don't have a Dollar Store, or can't find them, you might try looking at the type of netting that comes on some of the sponges designed to clean bugs off your windshield. They should have those at either Wal-Mart or an auto supply.

4-10-2010 004.jpg

hah hah hah, lol. hey there RayburnGuy. I guess great minds think alike. I've actually been using the same thing right now. But I actually got mine off a car wash sponge. It's actually bigger than those kitchen sponges. The reason I need them bigger is because the plugs I make are for stripers.. So the kitchen sponges would be a bit too small.

Yep, you've got to keep an open mind and always be on the lookout when it comes to scale material. No telling how much time I spent online looking for different types of netting that would be suitable for what we need. The only suppliers I found online sold in bulk and no way was I going to buy a couple hundred pounds of netting just to paint some scales. Good luck finding what you need.

RG

I keep hoping to find some mesh thats actually fish scale shapes on something

Guys,

You can probably find what your looking for at most grocery stores. Usually at least at Cub foods in MN, the laundry aisle. They are perfect mesh bags for "delicate" washing. Another place is the toy store- mesh nets you hang from the ceiling to hold stuffed animals etc. Another option is Sporting goods stores- they have mesh gym bags( to keep things airy) another is the fising dept. of a Gander Mt. or Mills Fleet Farm etc. ( look at the minnow nets) Frabil makes some with nice netting. Last but not least....Google it, quite a few years back a friend of mine was in the purchasing dept. and ordered up some perfect netting ( we used it for rigging our canoes -cut it to shape and zip tied it to some of the bars to create pockets to hold our gear... small tackle boxes etc. ......for our trip to the BWCA. hope this gives you guys some options. Oh yeah, one more look in the baby aisle at Target or similar store by kids bath toys, we have a nice mesh bag that hangs in the shower to hold our kids rubber duckies etc. ......... SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND,002 640x480.JPG001 640x480.JPG God bless,

-Chris

001 640x480.JPG

002 640x480.JPG

001 640x480.JPG

002 640x480.JPG

001 640x480.JPG

002 640x480.JPG

001 640x480.JPG

002 640x480.JPG

001 640x480.JPG

002 640x480.JPG

001 640x480.JPG

002 640x480.JPG

001 640x480.JPG

002 640x480.JPG

post-22343-127121631713_thumb.jpg

post-22343-127121632795_thumb.jpg

I believe I have mesh like all of those and many more, but nothing that looks like actual fish scales, thats the holy grail i seek

Try using the hexagon mesh, with the mesh from avacado bags overlayed on it. It gives an interesting scale pattern. You can also overlay with the larger diamond shaped mesh from orange bags.

Fruit is obviously good for you.

Someone here did a great snake scale pattern by changing the angle they shot their paint onto the mesh pattern, achieving a dark to light shading in each scale, but they used a diamond scale pattern, not octagon.

Edited by mark poulson

I believe I have mesh like all of those and many more, but nothing that looks like actual fish scales, thats the holy grail i seek

Dwain,

Sorry, Guess I replied to the wrong one. I was thinking about the guys who were wanting more mat'l. than a sponge. I agree with the fish scale netting. You could cut some stencils and then go layer by layer, I believe some guys do that, or shadowing your scales may give you the look you want?

Keep seeking,

-Chris

Alright I have a question and I am new to painting tried to paint the scale effect on but no doing what or how do you do it? I did not mean to interupted this forum but it has been something I have been wanting to do. I will look at what I got for the matterial though not sure what shape it is. I work for a tent factory so about any size sceen you can think of I can get. from very small to 1/8 in opening. If anyone wants any and would like to try let me know and I could send some usps. I can get the big stuff better than the little but I do have about one sq yard of the big stuff I can share. Thanks for the input and sorry did not mean to change the subject.

While I am just getting started painting my own lures I thought that the plastic part wrap we get on some stuff at work would work. I have yet to try it and if i get a chance to I will post pictures of what it looks like. Here is a link http://www.industria...m/netguard.html to an example of what it looks like. It conforms fairly well to odd shapes and comes in all sorts of sizes. It can also be stretched and squeezed to make larger or smaller diamond shapes.

Guys,

You can probably find what your looking for at most grocery stores. Usually at least at Cub foods in MN, the laundry aisle. They are perfect mesh bags for "delicate" washing. Another place is the toy store- mesh nets you hang from the ceiling to hold stuffed animals etc. Another option is Sporting goods stores- they have mesh gym bags( to keep things airy) another is the fising dept. of a Gander Mt. or Mills Fleet Farm etc. ( look at the minnow nets) Frabil makes some with nice netting. Last but not least....Google it, quite a few years back a friend of mine was in the purchasing dept. and ordered up some perfect netting ( we used it for rigging our canoes -cut it to shape and zip tied it to some of the bars to create pockets to hold our gear... small tackle boxes etc. ......for our trip to the BWCA. hope this gives you guys some options. Oh yeah, one more look in the baby aisle at Target or similar store by kids bath toys, we have a nice mesh bag that hangs in the shower to hold our kids rubber duckies etc. ......... SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND,002 640x480.JPG001 640x480.JPG God bless,

-Chris

Hey there MULE. On the second picture, the 2 scale mesh on the left. How big are they?

If you go to Dick Blick, they have aluminum neting for clay molds. You can pull this different ways to get different shapes. It molds fairly easy around baits. I don't remember what the cost is, but you get alot of sheets. Good luck Doug

I went to their site. I couldn't find it. Do you have a product number?

Hey there MULE. On the second picture, the 2 scale mesh on the left. How big are they?

C.K.,

The actual fabric is about 1/16" on sides and is about 1/8" on tops/bottoms of diamond opening. The diamond shaped openings are 1/4" high x 5/16" long. This is the fabric, that came as a stuffed animal holder( hang on wall or ceiling) can't say for sure where we got it, but am thinking it was some toy store. It is one of the largest patterns I have come across. How much do you need? I have all but a small section, that I cut out. What remains is about 29" x 40" Pm me if you would like me to mail you a small section to try out.

-Chris

Go to the dollar store and look for bug collecting nets (butterfly nets). They all have different size and shape scaling. I use it for most of the baits I paint up. Depending on how many baits you paint, it can last a really long time. This is an example of what it looks like:

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

post-14770-127151853376_thumb.jpg