Cami

Garlic Powder For Rubber

Hi Guys, my nick name is Cami and I am an Italian angler. First of all sorry for my poor English. The question is: is it possible to add fine garlic powder during the melting of vynil rubber (for instance we are used to Super Soft M-F one)? Have you ever tried before? What about the resistance of poured rubber? What do you think about fine shrimp powder used for aquarium fishes? These questions come from the fact that it is very difficult to find fishing scents here in Italy and when it is possible they cost a lot.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Bye.

Cami

Hi Guys, my nick name is Cami and I am an Italian angler. First of all sorry for my poor English. The question is: is it possible to add fine garlic powder during the melting of vynil rubber (for instance we are used to Super Soft M-F one)? Have you ever tried before? What about the resistance of poured rubber? What do you think about fine shrimp powder used for aquarium fishes? These questions come from the fact that it is very difficult to find fishing scents here in Italy and when it is possible they cost a lot.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Bye.

Cami

The powder will burn and turn brown. It will discolor your plastic. You might find some pure Anise Oil locally if you can't get scent. That has been used for a long time and works well.

Whatever you add to the plastic as a scent must be oil-based. If you add water-based scent you will be lucky not to get burned.

Like Richard said; dry scent compounds will simply clump up and burn. Maybe if you take softner and let the dry scent soak for quite a while, then strain off the solids and discard, you can use the scented softner.

www.novalures.com

Thanks Guys, your answers are very clear and useful. I will try to look for Anise Oil and the garlic one or I will ask to my wife to produce a little bootle for me, mixing a good Tuscany Oil with some pcs. o garlic. No water based scent must be used, I understood.

Bye.

Cami

Don't use powder. I tried that the other day. I've got some scent that is a crawfish and garlic combination. I really couldn't tell that there was any garlic in there. I bought some powder and it smelled like burnt garlic toast. The pwder would not desolve, I mixed it in the scent and stirred the tar out of it, still wouldn't desolve. I would think garlic salt would work, but I didn't want the weight of the salt. I needed the bait as bouyant as possible.

Don't use powder. I tried that the other day. I've got some scent that is a crawfish and garlic combination. I really couldn't tell that there was any garlic in there. I bought some powder and it smelled like burnt garlic toast. The pwder would not desolve, I mixed it in the scent and stirred the tar out of it, still wouldn't desolve. I would think garlic salt would work, but I didn't want the weight of the salt. I needed the bait as bouyant as possible.

Would pressing fresh garlic make a water based or oil based liquid?

Would pressing fresh garlic make a water based or oil based liquid?

Fresh garlic has both oil and water in it. You would have to get the water out of it first. the only thing about it is it going to take an awful lot of garlic to get enough oil to do anything with.

www.novalures.com

Fresh garlic has both oil and water in it. You would have to get the water out of it first. the only thing about it is it going to take an awful lot of garlic to get enough oil to do anything with.

www.novalures.com

I've actually added water based colorants to plastic. It bubbled but after letting it sit for a few minutes, the bubbles went away and it worked perfectly. I'm sure a little garlic water would work the same.

I've actually added water based colorants to plastic. It bubbled but after letting it sit for a few minutes, the bubbles went away and it worked perfectly. I'm sure a little garlic water would work the same.

Man, you're braver than me. I've gotten burned too many times to try that.

I would try putting a bunch of peeled garlic bulbs in some softner and let it "stew" for a month, then remove the softner leaving the water residue on the bottom.

www.novalures.com

Man, you're braver than me. I've gotten burned too many times to try that.

I would try putting a bunch of peeled garlic bulbs in some softner and let it "stew" for a month, then remove the softner leaving the water residue on the bottom.

www.novalures.com

A little water added slowly will not do anything but bubble a little. I always heard that water will make plastic explode and to never mix them... then I realized the people saying this had never tried it. So I took 1 cup of melted plastisol; set it on my garage floor and added water. It didn't explode, just bubbled a little- not even enough to go out of the cup. I even tried heating the plastic to 450 degrees, burnt to a crisp and added 33 deg water to it. No explosion.

A little water added slowly will not do anything but bubble a little. I always heard that water will make plastic explode and to never mix them... then I realized the people saying this had never tried it. So I took 1 cup of melted plastisol; set it on my garage floor and added water. It didn't explode, just bubbled a little- not even enough to go out of the cup. I even tried heating the plastic to 450 degrees, burnt to a crisp and added 33 deg water to it. No explosion.

Well there. I learned something today. Thanks BBK.

www.novalures.com

No offense, but I think that posting that it is safe to add water to molten plastic at 350F is dangerous and missleading to new commers to plastics. True, using a blanket statement that "the plastic will explode", may be overkill, but under certain conditions, it is true.

Dave

No offense, but I think that posting that it is safe to add water to molten plastic at 350F is dangerous and missleading to new commers to plastics. True, using a blanket statement that "the plastic will explode", may be overkill, but under certain conditions, it is true.

Dave

I apologize if I made it seem like its safe to add water to hot plastic, it is NOT safe at all. However, it is safe (been doing it for months) to add A DROP OR TWO of water based dye to your plastic. Just have to remember that it will cause bubbles in your plastic, so its only usable in very dark colors.

If the danger doesn't come from a splatter of hot foaming plastisol, the steam from the expanding vaporizing water can burn you. Common sense...

I suggest you try it before making general comments like that. A drop or two does not splatter or vaporize, it slowly bubbles like a soft boil. The plastisol is not hot enough to vaporize water instantly like lead would.