Lincoya

Photo finish lures

I wish I had made those....I'm not that good yet....I have just made my first few hardbaits ever in the last few weeks and they are not the quality of baits that deserve to be shown with the other awesome stuff that you guys do....but thanks to all of you I'm learning......just put them out there for some of the guys to look at and maybe give them some more ideas...this is the only means of sharing info that I can do right now at my level...Actually Tom Mann did those about 8 or 10 years ago.he worked with Kodak on developing those....this is old technology that never really caught on...but some of these guys seem to be reviving it and doing a great job with it.

I used a black and white INK JET on the aluminum foil. It came out pretty cool looking! Something I will think about down the road! Unfortunately I cant answer about the other items mentioned in this post like the tinting material. As you mentioned some materials will not print on through the printer. I guess you got to keep trying till you get the right answer. Keep us posted. Cody

Guys,

Outstanding! What an idea! Wont it be hard to paint over the 1st coat of devcon with Createx? Never tried it. Suppose I could paint after the photo and just do 1 coat of devcon. The decal paper idea sounds interesting too. Where do you buy decal paper? Thanks for the great tips. Great lures. Bob P

Robert, I dont have any problems with Createx painting over Devcon. Before I paint it, I actually scuff the Devcon with sandpaper. The tops and sides are the main issue points for me where I actually sand down the foil coming over the edges. Sometimes the foil bunches up in a corner and the sanding of it is just like trying to sand out a nick or scratch in the wood. Start with a meduim sandpaper then move to a fine. As far as the decal paper, I havent used that before, just the foil. The decal paper would be a lot harder in my opinion since the paper cant squash down around the edges. Just my opionin. I would like to try the foil with a photo on it soon however! As far as where to get it at... I would try Staples or Office Max. It could and should be around in the labels. I mean really if thats the way you want to go, try a 2 X 4 1/4 label. If you use that, take your exacto blade and make your cuts so it will fit around the edges. Thats the best I can offer till I try it. COdy

I tried this and it works really well. I didnt double the clear which i should have. It covers the edges of the paper so that its all continous with no lines. Mine was right on top but the lighter bottom color has lines you can see. Its not commercial so Its ok, but im a perfectionist. I also painted too much on the top and bottom (trying to cover the lines) and my sides caught too much overspray and lost some detail. Now i know what i did wrong and what to do next time. All that said the lure i painted is awesome, thanks for the how-to :lol: Its a zara spook in bluegill pattern with house of color rainbow flake of course 8O Maybe i will have a card for my digital camera by the time i get the next one done, probabaly a rat-l-trap in shad or golden shiner.

Beautiful job Gene...I had a thought..(it doesn't happen often!!)instead of tranfereing it to regular paper,and fighting glue..why not transfere it to decal paper...I've transfered tons of stuff to decal paper...it works slick,and it is so thin,there are no seams to worry about, it forms to any contour and you can easily reposition the decal if need be..Nathan

Hello I want to determine how is the decal paper, could you send me some photos? I want to try the technic described here, In my Country "Colombia" its very hard to find the materials maybe I know the decal paper with other name. :D

Cheers

elpesacdor

Ok, I do mine a little different and it saves me time.

First I use Gloss photo paper for the fish picture. After printing, I shoot the picture with Krylon "Workable Fixatif". This will put a clear coat over the photo and protect it from smudges and over spray. (this stuff dries in a couple minutes)

The beauty of this is you don't have to use 2 coats of Devcon or what ever else you use.

1. Print the picture on Glossy Photo Paper

2. Shoot it with the Krylon Fixatif

3. Cut it photo out and match it up with your lure/both sides.

4. I use elmers wood glue. I lightly sand (800grt) the back of the photo paper. Then a drop of elmers on ther lure and spread it with my finger...thin coat is all it takes. Align your photo and begin to burnish from center out. You CAN adjust the photo if ya miss your mark a little. Do both sides the same and make sure all edges are secure/down.

5. Your ready to paint the top and bottom of the lure. Just paint as you normally would but try not to get too much on the photo. This is the beauty of using the photo paper and a clear coat (Fixatif)on top of it. Any and all paint comes right off using a wet paper towel or a q-tip.

6. Add the eye's and you're ready to top coat. 7 out of 10 times one coat of Devcon is all it takes...the other 3 times maybe a lil corner or birds eye. Mostly they all come out perfact.

Photo's below are a couple Photo finishes I do on a regular basis.

Hope this helps somebody like this site has helped me over the past few years.

phf_119.jpg

phf_119.jpg

phf_119.jpg

phf_119.jpg

phf_119.jpg

phf_119.jpg

phf_119.jpg

phf_119.jpg

1549_thumb.attach