fig816

Scale Pattern On Wooden Lures

I am in the process of making a couple of top water baits, I really do not want to paint on the scale pattern, unless it is my only option. What I was thinking of doing was to heat up some fine stainless steel mesh with a torch and then burn the scale pattern into the wood. I am new at this lure making thing and I would love some feedback. Thanks .

I am in the process of making a couple of top water baits, I really do not want to paint on the scale pattern, unless it is my only option. What I was thinking of doing was to heat up some fine stainless steel mesh with a torch and then burn the scale pattern into the wood. I am new at this lure making thing and I would love some feedback. Thanks .

Great idea fig, can you show me the pic'..??

I think i'm gonna give it a try on my stickbait

Great idea fig, can you show me the pic'..??

I think i'm gonna give it a try on my stickbait

The link below will shows the mesh that I was thinking of using. After I try this I will post some pictures, that is if I am successful

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/product/~category_id=TWPCAT_SS_Medium/~product_id=028X028S0075W48T

That sounds like an interesting idea, another thing you could try is ordering some foil tape, you can get it at (sunshine glass?) google it. Just put the tape on and roll or press whatever you can find onto the foil. Stuff works great.

-Chris

@ java

Nice idea , .....do you want to burn that pattern onto bare light colored wood and leave the lure unpainted(just clearcoated) ?

But I'm afraid , that this very fine wire mesh might just overheat and tear or burn away , when heating it with a torch ,......... would be very hard to keep a constant heat level on the entire piece of mesh required .

It might also take a considerable amount of time , until the wood starts to turn black at the contact spots , ........the tiny mesh would not keep sufficient heat for long ,........ it would cool down very fast , once it is taken off the torch flame .

Might work better on PVC blanks ,....... that artificial material would probably require a less hot mesh and a shorter contact time with the hot mesh to show a result , .............but which would not be a darker scale pattern , but maybe a kinda empossed pattern , that still would have to be painted over carefully to show some kinda effect !

Probably it is possible to heat up the mesh to a constant and controllable glow with electric current(did such experiments back in school physics lessons 35 years ago with wire) , but I really do not want to lead you into hazardous or even lethal methods , ........in this case it would require the advice and help of someone , that really knows about electric currents .

Just my :twocents: , .........good luck , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

Does burning the wood with the scale mesh really make little scale impressions? that's a pretty good idea, I'm going to try that on my next one. Thanks a lot :D

Stryker,

I haven't tried it yet, but I am going to try it as soon as I get the mesh that I ordered. If it works I will definitely post some pictures and let you know if I was successful or not.

I have seen some nice tools in taxidermy catalogs. One was a woodburner attachment that made a nice scale. I've also seen a roller that made scale impressions, although it was made for use with putty, most likely. Probably wouldn't make an impression in wood.

@ java

Nice idea , .....do you want to burn that pattern onto bare light colored wood and leave the lure unpainted(just clearcoated) ?

Probably it is possible to heat up the mesh to a constant and controllable glow with electric current(did such experiments back in school physics lessons 35 years ago with wire) , but I really do not want to lead you into hazardous or even lethal methods , ........in this case it would require the advice and help of someone , that really knows about electric currents .

Just my :twocents: , .........good luck , diemai :yay:

Thanks for the advice diemai worship.gif,

Already try those idea with less luck weep.gif.. sorry. You're right, its hard to maintain the heat on those aluminium mesh, or because aluminium is cool faster than stainless, another problem is hard to keep the pressure of those mesh on curve body of my stickbait so the heat would make a pattern (embossed) on the wood evenly, since those mesh is extremely hot startle.gif . I guess the result would be better with the flat side lure hmm.gif...

Meanwhile i think i'm gonna stick with those round chisel and file to make scale pattern

you might want to try one of these www.detailmasteronline.com I use this to put in the feathers on duck decoys I carve. the pen will actually get so hot you can burst the wood into flames on contact. I believe they offer a pen tip shaped like a fish scale.