Kris

Clear Coat Swimbait ?

Going to try my luck at a swimbait. I've been putting it off because of wondering how to clear coat it.

How do you go about clear coating a swimbait with the hinges in between the sections and not hinder the hinge action once dried.

I was thinking that you clear coat them 1 section at a time ????

Going to try my luck at a swimbait. I've been putting it off because of wondering how to clear coat it.

How do you go about clear coating a swimbait with the hinges in between the sections and not hinder the hinge action once dried.

I was thinking that you clear coat them 1 section at a time ????

That's what I do. I assemble them to paint them, so the scheme is more or less continuous, and then disassemble them to clear coat them.

I use a screw eye and hinge pin setup, so all I have to do is remove the pins for clearing, and then clean out the pin holes afterwards for reassembly.

For off-the-shelf baits where you can't disassemble them, I suspend the bait using a hacksaw frame. Twist some wire on the rear hook hanger and line tie, pull tight, and it will keep the bait straight with little to no play in the hinges. Use a brush to carefully brush your clearcoat, and you're good to go. I also use this set up when painting them.

i think there is a guy on these forums called jrhopkins with a dvd instructional on hand crafting jointed swimbaits, his website is http://johnscrankbait.com/default.aspx

For clear coating he just puts a thin coat on, hangs the lure by the nose, and when it's cured he can just work the hinges a bit to free them up from any epoxy that didn't flow away from the hinges.

I have a drying wheel similar to the one at the bottom of http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/7576-lure-dryer-wheel/page__pid__50200__st__20entry50200 where the bait is pulled from each end. I get the baits all on the set up and then brush on my clear coat. Then all I have to do is turn on the wheel. Since the bait is getting stretched out the joints won't get stuck together.