crazychuy

How Do You Coat Jigs With A Durable Finish?

Hello All,

I'm looking into coating my own jig heads for jig fishing for my personal use and would like to know how to do this so I can have a vertually chip resistant coating.

How do you coat jigs with a powdercoat or other coating so to have a good durable chip resistant coat?

Thank you all,

Tony

Tony,

You will have many responses here as far as how everyone paints their jigs. There are many ways to heat a jig, before you swish it through the powder paint. I use a heat gun. There are other members that use propane torches, candles, alcohol burners, lighters and some even heat them in an oven. You will have to find what you think will work for you. I would stay away from candles and lighters. Just my opinion. As far as powder paint there is a wide variety of powder paint to use, from Pro-Tec the most popular by some to Columbia coatings, to others. They all work very well even the cheaper powder paint. It all depends on how stubborn you are and how much you want to pay for powder paint. The final process which guarantees you a hard chip resistant finish, is you must bake all of your jigs after they have been powder painted in a oven or toaster oven. By baking the jigs, you are curing (hardening) the paint. This is just a brief summary of powder painting in a nutshell. The rest takes a lot of patience and practice.