allstate48

Devcon Trouble

What am I doing wrong? I've tried to coat 3 lures, with this stuff, and through two of them away. It sets up in about as short of time as 5 min. I've always used Etec, and never had problems. This stuff is making me pull my hair out. If I had any. Thanks Doug

Which devon did you buy? For clear coating your baits you shouldn't be using 5 min devcon. It is more of an adhesive and will yellow quicker than the other devcons. I have used 30 min devcon to clear coat small batches of baits alot.

Yeah, sounds like you used the 5 Minute Devcon. It's worthless for top coating baits. You want the Devcon Two Ton variety, which is also a glue but is a "30 minute" epoxy. Brush time for it is several minutes, sag-free in about an hour, and "touchable hard" in about 5 hours.

You have about 3 minutes after mixing D2T to coat your lures, before it begins to get too thick to brush. If you want to double the brush time, thin the D2T with a few drops of denatured alcohol after mixing. Yes, that's MUCH faster cure time than Etex. There's time enough to do 2 lures, 3 if you're practiced, but no time to fool around!

Assuming you have mixed equal quantities of the 2 components, as volume, one trick to extend the working time is to add about 20 - 30 % thinner and mix well. I use a thinner designed for nitrocellulose products. Others use acetone. Or alcohol. But first you have to know if the paint you use will not be ruined by the solvent in the epoxy.

You can also try heating up the mixture with a hair dryer.

Thanks everyone. I don't know what happend, but I'm throwing it,and going back to etex. Good Luck Doug

Don't throw it out.

Just for kicks add a it to your ETEX. Measure your ETEX normally and mix in dome D2T (up to 10-1 is OK, and mix it well.) (I use a bent piece of SS wire in a drill run at a slow sped.) It will accelerate the ETEX cure time by a lot. Try a small batch.

Don't throw it out.

Just for kicks add a it to your ETEX. Measure your ETEX normally and mix in dome D2T (up to 10-1 is OK, and mix it well.) (I use a bent piece of SS wire in a drill run at a slow sped.) It will accelerate the ETEX cure time by a lot. Try a small batch.

That is a great idea. I will be trying that this weekend.