JacobdRobinson

Applying Epoxy?

Im pretty new to building my own lures. Im wanting to get some Devcon 2 Ton 30 minute Epoxy to coat my lures with. Do i just but it on with a brush or what??????

I just use cheap epoxy brushes from Home Depot and do a couple baits at a time. The brushes are only 19 cents each. Mix the epoxy and brush a thin coat.

Yep, you brush it on. Measure it well and mix it thoroughly! Those are the keys to a good hard clearcoat. I use a 1/4" flat artist's brush to apply epoxy on bass baits, then clean the brush in lacquer thinner and reuse it indefinitely. You can buy a set of various width brushes for $7-8 at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Just IMO, the fine bristles of an artist's brush do a better job because they tend to pop bubbles in the epoxy as you apply it.

Everyone develops their own "epoxy method". I squeeze out 2 equal size pools of hardener/resin in a small jar cap lined with tin foil and mix it up vigorously with a piece cut from an old credit card. 2 pools about the size of quarters is enough for 2 bass baits and 2 baits are usually all I try to coat at one time. If it is cool and the epoxy is stiff, I mix in 4-5 drops of denatured alcohol after mixing the epoxy. That thins it a little and gives you a little longer brushing time. When brushing it on the lure, you want to maintain a wet edge and a wet brush. Dragging a semi-dry brush causes bubbles and voids. Think of it as smoothing on the epoxy, not brushing it on. I do around the lip, eyes, and the hook hangers, and then start on lure's back and brush around the lure, brushing toward the tail. I'm not concerned about getting epoxy in the hook hangers - I can easily remove it with a small drill bit chucked in a Dremel tool after the epoxy has cured.

Devcon cures fairly quickly. You have only a few minutes (maybe 3-4 min unthinned, maybe 5 min thinned) to brush it on the lures before it becomes too stiff. So it pays to have everything you'll need laid out on the table before you start: lure clamped in hemostats, foil-lined jar cap, clean brush, mixing stick. and a lure turner to rotate the lure after the epoxy is applied. It will take 45-60 min for the epoxy to harden on the lure before it becomes drip and sag free. Hard enough to touch and handle lightly in about 5 hrs. Ready to fish in 24 hrs.

Yep, you brush it on. Measure it well and mix it thoroughly! Those are the keys to a good hard clearcoat. I use a 1/4" flat artist's brush to apply epoxy on bass baits, then clean the brush in lacquer thinner and reuse it indefinitely. You can buy a set of various width brushes for $7-8 at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Just IMO, the fine bristles of an artist's brush do a better job because they tend to pop bubbles in the epoxy as you apply it.

Everyone develops their own "epoxy method". I squeeze out 2 equal size pools of hardener/resin in a small jar cap lined with tin foil and mix it up vigorously with a piece cut from an old credit card. 2 pools about the size of quarters is enough for 2 bass baits and 2 baits are usually all I try to coat at one time. If it is cool and the epoxy is stiff, I mix in 4-5 drops of denatured alcohol after mixing the epoxy. That thins it a little and gives you a little longer brushing time. When brushing it on the lure, you want to maintain a wet edge and a wet brush. Dragging a semi-dry brush causes bubbles and voids. Think of it as smoothing on the epoxy, not brushing it on. I do around the lip, eyes, and the hook hangers, and then start on lure's back and brush around the lure, brushing toward the tail. I'm not concerned about getting epoxy in the hook hangers - I can easily remove it with a small drill bit chucked in a Dremel tool after the epoxy has cured.

Devcon cures fairly quickly. You have only a few minutes (maybe 3-4 min unthinned, maybe 5 min thinned) to brush it on the lures before it becomes too stiff. So it pays to have everything you'll need laid out on the table before you start: lure clamped in hemostats, foil-lined jar cap, clean brush, mixing stick. and a lure turner to rotate the lure after the epoxy is applied. It will take 45-60 min for the epoxy to harden on the lure before it becomes drip and sag free. Hard enough to touch and handle lightly in about 5 hrs. Ready to fish in 24 hrs.

Thanks! that helps alot. I have just been using polyurethane from lowes. Its been working good but you can feel the wood. I have been applying it with small foam brushs.

Is one coat all that a bait needs?

Thanks! that helps alot. I have just been using polyurethane from lowes. Its been working good but you can feel the wood. I have been applying it with small foam brushs.

Is one coat all that a bait needs?

One coat is sufficent. But I do plastic cranks so as far as wood someone else could probably help you out a little more

One coat is sufficent. But I do plastic cranks so as far as wood someone else could probably help you out a little more

Yea i just do topwaters. Im not huge in it because im fishing all of these qualifying events so i dont have much time for it. Just came up with a really cool bait idea that i havent seen before.

If you're looking for a longer time to apply you can always get the epoxy that has longer curing time. I actually use E-Tex, but you really need a spinner to turn the lures for sereral hours as it usually takes overnight for the good hard finish you want if you choose E-Tex.

Benji

All I use is wood for my lures and one coat of E-Tex is all that I apply.

What kind of fish are you chasing? For me, there is a huge difference between my bass lures and my muskie lures. You just can't get enough epoxy on pike and muskie lures, but bass are not so hard on them.

Also, where are you buying it?

Edited by archeryrob

Im pretty new to building my own lures. Im wanting to get some Devcon 2 Ton 30 minute Epoxy to coat my lures with. Do i just but it on with a brush or what??????

I use the finger from a rubber or plastic glove instead of a brush. JMHO, but it's much faster and gets the epoxy to lay down very smoothly. In a pinch, you can wrap saran wrap around your finger in lieu of the above. You'll be pleasantly surprised how quick and easy it is and the results will be as good or better than brushing. I posted about it a while ago.

To your list of supplies add a hairdryer or heat gun. When you get the bubbles, give them just a minute or two to rise to the top and use the heat gun. The heat will pop them most of the time. I keep a safety pin handy for the tough ones, there are bubbles that I've had to pop with the pin. I also actually use the heat on a the cup of epoxy before applying it, it actually gets rid of the bubbles that develop from stirring.