Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madbass

Jerkbait Lip Altering

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried trimming down the lip on a deep diving jerkbait? I have some pointer 100DD's I'd like to make into mid-depth divers.

Has anyone tried trimming down the lip on a deep diving jerkbait? I have some pointer 100DD's I'd like to make into mid-depth divers.

Ive filed the edges down but never cut any off. It may mess with the action some?

I've played around with some Staycee knockoffs.

I found that removing any material from the bill's sides or shortening the bill does make them run shallower, but I wasn't after that. I wanted to run the same depth, but with less side to side, and I couldn't get it to do that.

First, I sanded off the sides of the bill, so it was thin, but still full length. The lure didn't dive as deep, and didn't have as much action, side to side.

Then I shortened the bill on another, and it again didn't dive as deep, but had more side to side on the jerks.

I've played around with some Staycee knockoffs.

I found that removing any material from the bill's sides or shortening the bill does make them run shallower, but I wasn't after that. I wanted to run the same depth, but with less side to side, and I couldn't get it to do that.

First, I sanded off the sides of the bill, so it was thin, but still full length. The lure didn't dive as deep, and didn't have as much action, side to side.

Then I shortened the bill on another, and it again didn't dive as deep, but had more side to side on the jerks.

Did you try weighting the back end? It will cut down on side to side some. depending on how much weight.

I have had baits that I have chipped/broke off a chunk bouncing them off docks and rocks and then trimmed them down so I could still use them. Definitely still works but changes the action off course. I had a slender pointer that the slip snapped in half. I kept throwing it and it worked amazing well, darting right below the surface.