JP MYERS

Jointed Legs, Frog Wakebaits

Here are 4 wakebaits I finished & swim tested today.. This is the lure I had tried to make lexan jitterbug lips for a few weeks back.. Well, the weight difference between lexan & the original metal jitter lips wasnt enough (1g.) to keep the head above the waterline.. The shaping via hot oil cooking of the lexan worked but the weight of finished lip did not.. So, I went w/a wakebait lip instead.. The action is really nice on a slow retrieve.. Head goes under w/a nice wobble, feet float behind churning up the water & making bubbles.. 7" lengths, 3.2oz weight, painted glass eyes, 3/0 VMC hooks, black splits, marble finishes.. Some of these ya can crank fast & submerge the entire lure 1"-2" making a wake above the lure, but mainly I was weighting for a slow surface retrieve... The heels click together during retrieve so no rattles necessary!.. They also work great as jerkbaits too..

I used a silicone slip mold & solid pour liquid plastic.. I cut the 5 degree lip slot on my table saw w/a jig to keep the lure square.. I might experiment w/some different lip angles later on to see if that helps or ruins the action.. I want to see if straight up & down works any better, possibly 7-10 degrees too.. Anyway, I'm quite pleased w/the action as it is..

John, JP Myers~

FROG_1 017 .JPG

FROG_1 009 .JPG

FROG_1 002 .JPG

FROG_1 025 .JPG

FROG_1 017 .JPG

FROG_1 009 .JPG

FROG_1 002 .JPG

FROG_1 025 .JPG

FROG_1 017 .JPG

FROG_1 009 .JPG

FROG_1 002 .JPG

FROG_1 025 .JPG

FROG_1 017 .JPG

FROG_1 009 .JPG

FROG_1 002 .JPG

FROG_1 025 .JPG

FROG_1 017 .JPG

FROG_1 009 .JPG

FROG_1 002 .JPG

FROG_1 025 .JPG

FROG_1 017 .JPG

FROG_1 009 .JPG

FROG_1 002 .JPG

FROG_1 025 .JPG

FROG_1 017 .JPG

FROG_1 009 .JPG

FROG_1 002 .JPG

FROG_1 025 .JPG

FROG_1 017 .JPG

FROG_1 009 .JPG

FROG_1 002 .JPG

FROG_1 025 .JPG

post-15273-127213568786_thumb.jpg

post-15273-127213571845_thumb.jpg

post-15273-127213577588_thumb.jpg

post-15273-127213582253_thumb.jpg

those look cool! You know another way you might go about it is molding some soft plastic legs. They would contract when not moving, and extend when reeling!

Nice job on those though, the crackle looks awesome.

Yeah I have a smaller body that I made thighs extending out from the hip area about 1/2" long.. I bought a bunch of silicone skirts that look like those used on Hula Popper lures to attach to the thighs.. I had thought of your idea on rubber legs but I dont know diddly about pouring soft plastics.. The plan is to set a single barb or double barb into the body during the pour.. The barbs will protrude out the rearend Extending over the back of lure to make it more weedless..And the hook eye will be the line tie as well..The lure body will be about 2" in length..I havent made a mold yet but will get into that soon..

Thanks to All for the positive comments, greatly appreciated..

John JP Myers