JIGnJ()N

Fine Lines

I tried to use the search on the site with no luck, but what air pressure settings and how thin should water based createx be to paint fine lines on plastic cranks? I've got a Capital 2006GF with a 0.25mm tip. (factory tip)

I've turned my pressure down below 10 psi and can't get the paint to flow, so I water'd down my paint to flow right, but then it seems to run and blow away when attempting a small line. Any Suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

Still Learning. :)

Although I am sure someone here can answer this question. I have found a good website for my AB questions. howtoairbrush.com. There is a guy that runs the website that would and could answer any airbrush related question you can think of. Just an idea to check it out they will be able to help you out for sure. Although like i said you will in time get some good answers here cause there is a vast knowledge base on this site..... I am so HAPPY I found this site.. Thanks again to all the TU members for all your help and willing to share your secrets and knowledge with us all..... THANKS AGAIN

my only advice is to turn your pressure down, used thin enough paint, don't get overly close to the bait (or your paint will run as you've experienced) and take it slow, don't release too much paint at any time.

Thanks! I'll keep chuggin along and see if I can't get the hang of it.

For createx paint I generally start with about 10psi and increase from there. My airbrush is 0.2mm Iwata HP gravity fed and will spray the transparent range without thinning. It also sprays white and black opaque and those I have tried from the flourescent range without thinning, I dont know about others in the opaque range because I havent used them. These are all done at 10psi. I try to avoid thinning if I can mainly to eliminate another step in the process. To spray pearl's and irredecends I use a 0.5mm brush and thin as/if required with Autoair 4011 reducer. I dont use water because it recommends not too. I have tried reducing with water and while it thinned the paint I found it beaded on the surface of the bait so I stopped using it and went for what they recommend.

Biggest thing I have found with both how paint sprays and getting fine lines sorted is to keep practicing at different pressures and work on your finger control for paint release. I find the thinner the paint the harder to do the fine lines so I try to not reduce as much as I can. For me its a compromise, the thicker the paint the higher the pressure but then the increased risk of running the paint. I good way i've found to practice is to use the paint left in the brush when you finish a color and practice fine lines with that. I do it on the side of my paint booth, there is not much paint left but instead of wasting it I will use it to practice dagger (????) strokes and fine lines. At that point you can also raise / lower pressure and get instant feedback on how that affected things.

Hope this helps,

Angus

Sweet reply Angus, thanks! I really like your idea about practicing in between color changes, I think I'll try that.

I use Createx water based as well and generally do not thin the transparents either. 10-14 psi is what I run through my 0.3 Iwata HP-C. When I run pearls through it I do have some issues. I've tried thinning with various things, but 70%alcohol/30%water seems to work the best. It doesn't seem to affect the cure too much. Even so, the pearls are semi-difficult to control even after thinning. Since I'm really just a novice, I only do thinner lines with the transparents since they seem to be easier for me to control.

I've started using Auto Air's 4011 reducer in all my Createx paint. It sprays much better through smaller nozzles and seems to provide better control when using lower air pressure settings. Have tried using water to thin Createx and it doesn't come close to the 4011 reducer.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Rayburnguy, I'll have to look into that reducer. I wished there was a local place that sold createx items here. huh.gif

Not sure where your located, but check any hobby or craft shops in your area. Createx is a fairly common, and widely used, airbrush paint.