DeltaMan

Mold Question

Is it possible for me to use pam or crisco aerosal spray as a release agent when pouring a two piece silicone mold?

I use walmart copy of PAM. But why do you need a release agent for plastisol? Soft plastic does not stick to RTV. I do use the PAM to coat hard models and the mold boxes when I make the RTV molds. Although RTV only sticks to RTV it helps on fine detail areas. Also I have used Silicone glue RTV to patch holes and tears in the models and for sure you need to coat that or RTV sticks to RTV.

does it need to be thick or just an extremely thin layer?

I also use Vaseline. I put it on with a q-tip or small parts brush. Thin, very thin. The RTV is not a solvent and lays on anything and will not disolve it down to the original surface. Any grease or silicone base will keep RTV from sticking to RTV. 2 part RTV does not stick to anything else, RTV glue will stick and needs release agents.

RTV will not stick to a poruous surface per se, like paper or wood but will penetrate the pores and thus "stick" by mechanically locking it up. When I put RTV into cardboard mold boxes Vaseline is all I use to seal the cardboard.

Edited by Piscivorous Pike

does it need to be thick or just an extremely thin layer?

One trick to make sure you get a good part two is to pull your original out of part one. Coat your RTV with Vaseline. insert your original back into part one of your mold. that way you do not get any Vaseline on you original and only on part one RTV.. make sure you seal your original first if it is sculpted out of wood I use clear poly to seal my original before i make my molds it will fill in the pours of your wood. and give you a good release from the rtv. Disregard this step if you make your original out of plastic or clay

Hope this helps

K.C.

One trick to make sure you get a good part two is to pull your original out of part one. Coat your RTV with Vaseline. insert your original back into part one of your mold. that way you do not get any Vaseline on you original and only on part one RTV.. make sure you seal your original first if it is sculpted out of wood I use clear poly to seal my original before i make my molds it will fill in the pours of your wood. and give you a good release from the rtv. Disregard this step if you make your original out of plastic or clay

Hope this helps

K.C.

hey thanks guys that was a big help and probably saved me like twenty bucks :D