ALC609

Pouring Help

when pouring, how do you get the effects of say pb&j? where the main part of the bait is brown but it has a slight purple effect to the outside of the bait? and to get two colors to transition together without having a cold line, like the tail of something in chartruece but where it joins green pumpkin it looks faded? thanks

when pouring, how do you get the effects of say pb&j? where the main part of the bait is brown but it has a slight purple effect to the outside of the bait? and to get two colors to transition together without having a cold line, like the tail of something in chartruece but where it joins green pumpkin it looks faded? thanks

The slight purple effects you are talking about would be violet highlight powder.

I suggest reading all of the archives that are available here

Do a search in the soft plastics forum for:

pearls

highlight powders

For the two colors try searching

laminates

cold cracks

multi color pouring

If you are using an aluminum mold, try pouring with the mold on a pancake griddle. The layers will bond without cold cracks.

There's a wealth of information up there that will literally save you months of trial and error.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've read all of it and still do VERY regulary. It is certainly worth the time to sit down for a few hours. Everything you ask and will ask is up there for the reading. It is also a heck of allot easier than waiting for someone to post the answer to your question.

The slight purple effects you are talking about would be violet highlight powder.

I suggest reading all of the archives that are available here

Do a search in the soft plastics forum for:

pearls

highlight powders

For the two colors try searching

laminates

cold cracks

multi color pouring

If you are using an aluminum mold, try pouring with the mold on a pancake griddle. The layers will bond without cold cracks.

There's a wealth of information up there that will literally save you months of trial and error.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've read all of it and still do VERY regulary. It is certainly worth the time to sit down for a few hours. Everything you ask and will ask is up there for the reading. It is also a heck of allot easier than waiting for someone to post the answer to your question.

thanks, but i've tried the searching and it brings up everything but what i'm looking for and this site is very slow. been at this for several hours today with no luck.

thanks, but i've tried the searching and it brings up everything but what i'm looking for and this site is very slow. been at this for several hours today with no luck.

Believe me that it is ALL up there. That's how I've learned and continue to learn. There are complete discussion of the trials and errors of all of it. It does take time to go through. You should try different key words and combos of them.

If you still are having trouble, what specifically are you doing and what are your results.

What type of molds are you using? RTV molds don't cool as fast as aluminum and there are less problems with cold cracks. How long are you waiting before pouring second color. Giving as much detail to what you are doing will make it easier for someone to help you find a solution.

Believe me that it is ALL up there. That's how I've learned and continue to learn. There are complete discussion of the trials and errors of all of it. It does take time to go through. You should try different key words and combos of them.

If you still are having trouble, what specifically are you doing and what are your results.

What type of molds are you using? RTV molds don't cool as fast as aluminum and there are less problems with cold cracks. How long are you waiting before pouring second color. Giving as much detail to what you are doing will make it easier for someone to help you find a solution.

well i think the colors like the pb&j color is done with highlite but i can not find how much highlite to how much plastic. with silicone molds i wait about 10 seconds.

well i think the colors like the pb&j color is done with highlite but i can not find how much highlite to how much plastic. with silicone molds i wait about 10 seconds.

The stuff is pretty potent. I would start of with just the tip off a knife or match head, stir and take a look. You can always add more but not take any away. With the RTV you should not have any problems with cold cracks. You could easily wait 20 seconds for the second color and not have a problem. The RTV retains the heat better than aluminum. I would do 12 cavities one color, and then go back and do all the second color. Your timing should not be the problem.

It sounds like your second color just might not be hot enough. You WILL get it, keep at it and let us know what happens!