ROWINGADUBAY

Okuma Quality

I am looking at getting a new round baitcasting reel and was wondering how the quality of the okuma brand is if anyone knows please chime in I am wondering if it has plastic or brass gears I bought a new pfueger trion and it has or had plastic gears that already stripped out and game fishing has yet to even open in wisconsin.

I have a friend of mine who fishes hard and he likes Okuma's round baitcasters very much.

I was recently bemused to read a review of one of Garcia's premium "Record" models, and the reviewer stated that he took it apart, only to find plastic gears in the reel. He angrily reassembled the reel and shipped it back for a refund, and publicly denounced Garcia for using plastic gears in what was supposedly a top-of-the-line product. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, indeed.

I began fishing with Ambassadeur Baitcasting Reels in 1962, with one of the red 5000 models, and it had plastic gears also; on the levelwind timing side, just like those reels always have had, and those nylon gears never wear out. There is no load on these gears whatsoever. They simply serve the levelwind (lineguide) system.

The right side of the reel, like every right-hand baitcasting reel I've ever opened, and I did commercial reel repair for several years, has metal gears where the reel needs metal gears, as this is the drive (as opposed to the driven) side of the reel.

If there is plastic in or on a reputable brand of a premium reel it is there because it is the best material for the job. Word of mouth travels quickly worldwide these days,as you've noticed, and no good manufacturer is going to risk a business plan on an inferior product.

x2 what LP said. Most reel manufacturers including Shimano and Abu Garcia use high quality plastic gears to drive the level wind system throughout their reel line because they are lighter, self-lubricating, work well, and do not wear out. That's quite different from having a main and pinion gear made from plastic - which I have personally never seen, even on bargain priced reels. There are some yahoos out there who look askance at ANY plastic in a reel, but that's just ignorance.

I've never used an Okuma but they seem to have a decent rep for performance and durability. Do they have "life-long" quality equal to a $200 Shimano Calcutta? Nope. There's a lot that goes into a reel's performance and durability. If the gears aren't cut accurately, aligned properly, and surrounded by well fitted, high quality parts in the drive train, they will fail no matter what they are made from. If I had any question about Okuma, I'd look at a Shimano Cardiff round reel, in the same general price range. You get what you pay for.

Edited by BobP

Five years ago I bought two Okuma round baitcasters for striper fishing. Mounted the reels on good rods and was ready to go.

First reel didn't make it through 3 casts. The reel bound and basically blew up inside the reel.

Second reel didn't make it through the day - same thing.

I bought the reels from Cabelas. They were returned for a full refund. Replaced them with Quatum Cabos and have not had a problem in the five years since.

Just my experience.

I am extremely biased. Abu Garcia fortehwin! I have old school C3 4601, C3 5501, C4 5601, BCX 6501; (2) Revo S-L, Revo SX-L and a REVO TORO 51. The best, nuff said. I have tried others, than sold them on Ebay.

My Okuma Induron is equal to any ABU 1960 round reel or Calcuta 1970? I still use all my collector reels because they still work .My go to reel for Rogue estuary salmon 25-40+ # 400 Induron best bang for this old guys BUCK. Thought all old school ABU reels ended in 0 = right hand only? smile