247bassin

Painting Crankbaits

I am new to this forum and I am going to be new to painting crankbaits, so, I need some pointers if you all don't mind. I am wanting to paint hardbaits, cranks, jerks, swimbaits, ect. I am having some trouble finding information on everything that I need. I really don't know anything about this craft, but am eager to learn.

I am looking for a cheap air brush kit to start off with. I need something that is going to be as cheap as possible. If I think that I will like it, I am going to buy better quality equipment. I am also going to need to know what types of paints to use. If there are any pointers that anyone can give me, I would really appreciate it.

Is there anything on here where people sell their old equipment? I would buy used if the price was right.

Thanks for any help that you all can give me.

I am new to this forum and I am going to be new to painting crankbaits, so, I need some pointers if you all don't mind. I am wanting to paint hardbaits, cranks, jerks, swimbaits, ect. I am having some trouble finding information on everything that I need. I really don't know anything about this craft, but am eager to learn.

I am looking for a cheap air brush kit to start off with. I need something that is going to be as cheap as possible. If I think that I will like it, I am going to buy better quality equipment. I am also going to need to know what types of paints to use. If there are any pointers that anyone can give me, I would really appreciate it.

Is there anything on here where people sell their old equipment? I would buy used if the price was right.

Harborfreight.com has a $15 airbrush.

I did this with that brush and one of their airbrush compressors, it is my first try too.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9852/dscn1223s.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9962/mskx.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95630

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95810

Thanks for the info on the air brush kit, I will be getting one of those in a week.

Now that that part is taken care of, what are some cheap types of paints to use? I am guessing that I will have to use some sort of coating ontop of the paint? What do you all reccommend on that? I am assuming that model car paint will not work?:D

Again, thanks for the help thus far, hope to keep getting more advice from you all.

Something else...I am wanting to paint most of my cranks in a sexy shad pattern for the most part to start out with. That is a great color, plus it looks like it will be easy to paint for the most part. Where could I get small containers of paint to begin with incase it turns out that my hand is not steady enough to paint something that small?

Also, would it be okay to paint over existing paint on cheaper crankbaits? That way I didn't have to buy a bunch of unpainted bodies and have to get rid of them incase I am no good at this?

Thanks again everybody. I am sorry that I am asking so many questions, but I am very new at all this.

Modeling enamel will work fine for fishing lures you can thin it with lacquer thinner which will allow it to dry much faster and spray easier. Be mindfull of the hazards associated with use of solvent base paints and take the neccesary precautions: respirator and adequate ventillation are essential!

Is there anyone who uses brushes to paint hardbaits? I was just wondering because it looks like there are areas and designs on some custom painted crankbaits that I have seen that look that it would be almost impossible to airbrush them. Am I wrong or are there some baits that are brushed only?

I went with this set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MULTI-PURPOSE-AIRBRUSH-KIT-w-Compressor-Createx-Paint_W0QQitemZ220589236365QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335c24a08d

It is a little more, but you will get everything to get started with air brushing. Also, get rotisserie ( they are around $22 from Amazon); that will be useful for bait drying wheel after top or bottom coating.

The tackle making web site has some stencils to print out. These are really useful.

www.tacklemaking.com

Good luck.

:)

Is there anyone who uses brushes to paint hardbaits? I was just wondering because it looks like there are areas and designs on some custom painted crankbaits that I have seen that look that it would be almost impossible to airbrush them. Am I wrong or are there some baits that are brushed only?

Well i don't use brush but i do use paint markers for fine little details there awsome and give your baits some more depth after you clear coat them i think you should give em a try.