hinsmt

Painting Crankbaits

Hello. I am new to this forum and would like to say hi and sorry if this topic has been done to death. I am wanting to start painting my own crankbaits. I have found a site to purchase knockoffs of Lucky Craft lures, but they are not painted. I just want to make some simple patterns and do not want to spend a lot on airbrush stuff as I just want some for personal use. I am thinking about spray painting them. If anyone could help me out with advise on possible paints to use and what to top coat the lures with. Any advise would be appreciated. The simpler and less toxic the better. Thanks a lot.

Welcome! You will find a lot of info here.

I started painting crankbaits about 4-5 months ago. I paint all of mine with an airbrush instead of spray cans. There are guys that go the route of spray cans.

I use Createx, Polytranspar and Wildlife paint which is all water based paints. You can find Createx at most hobby stores such as Hobby Lobby & Michaels. Polytranspar and Wildlife you can get from www.taxidermy.com

If you look around you can get an airbrush for under $100 to start out with and compressor from Home Depot / Lowes.

As far as top coats there are hundreds of threads on the subject here. You will find pro and cons for every top coat. The top 2 used it seems are Dick Nite's Top Coat and Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy. I have used both. And as said they both have pros and cons.

Hope this helps. Any more questions just ask.

BTW ... what site did you find the Lucy Craft knockoffs ???

I started painting crankbaits about 4-5 months ago. I paint all of mine with an airbrush instead of spray cans. There are guys that go the route of spray cans.

I use Createx, Polytranspar and Wildlife paint which is all water based paints. You can find Createx at most hobby stores such as Hobby Lobby & Michaels. Polytranspar and Wildlife you can get from www.taxidermy.com

If you look around you can get an airbrush for under $100 to start out with and compressor from Home Depot / Lowes.

As far as top coats there are hundreds of threads on the subject here. You will find pro and cons for every top coat. The top 2 used it seems are Dick Nite's Top Coat and Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy. I have used both. And as said they both have pros and cons.

Hello and welcome there is alot of great people on here that will help you I am fairly new to it myself but with the help of people on here I have came along way!! Like kris said for about 100 bucks you can be in it with airbrush I use createx paint but am still searching for the right top coat! Good luck and what sight did you find those? thanks

Opps, lol I dont know how to do this yet. Ok Kris the Lucky Craft knockoff is a removable front hook hanger bait. I think the site is predatorbaits.com. It is one of the spnsors of this site. On the site the guy says he is in the process of creating BDS 3 molds for baits with and without rattles. Thanks for the welcome and advise. I have just gone to a hobby shop and talked to another customer for quite a while about airbrushes. He convinced me that airbrushing is the way to go. I am not sure about the crankbait blanks from any place yet. I have read other forums about blanks that do not run right at all. I am looking for nonrattling shallow plastic crankbaits (0-4 feet). I am sick of replacing my balsa baits and not really wanting to spend $15 per Lucky Craft bait. Well it will be a while be for I am airbrushing my own baits but when I do I plan on posting some pics for advise on improvement. Once again thanks for the any help since I am a complete newbie to tackle making and painting.

Opps, lol I dont know how to do this yet. Ok Kris the Lucky Craft knockoff is a removable front hook hanger bait. I think the site is predatorbaits.com. It is one of the spnsors of this site. On the site the guy says he is in the process of creating BDS 3 molds for baits with and without rattles. Thanks for the welcome and advise. I have just gone to a hobby shop and talked to another customer for quite a while about airbrushes. He convinced me that airbrushing is the way to go. I am not sure about the crankbait blanks from any place yet. I have read other forums about blanks that do not run right at all. I am looking for nonrattling shallow plastic crankbaits (0-4 feet). I am sick of replacing my balsa baits and not really wanting to spend $15 per Lucky Craft bait. Well it will be a while be for I am airbrushing my own baits but when I do I plan on posting some pics for advise on improvement. Once again thanks for the any help since I am a complete newbie to tackle making and painting.

I have ben playing around with painting cranks for a little while. An air brush is a must an you can get realy cheap one's for around $60 or sow .the paint createx runs about $3 for 2/oz it will go a long way.i use c.s coteing's for a top coat. it's cald seal coat vary easy stuff and water base'd non toxic . check out there web site c.s coating's. good luck