CNC Molds N Stuff

Meat Marinade Injector

Anybody using one? I just got one I got super cheap to look at. All stainless construction should last forever. If the o-ring doesn't hold up I can always replace it with one rated for the heat. Looks like a pretty standard thread for the needle so I could make nozzles easy enough. The only draw back I see is it will be difficult to completely clean out.

I originally got it with the idea of using it to do a custom core shot on some baits using the needle or a replacement needle, but it looks like it would work as a regular injector just fine too... and its cheap. Well if you shop around its cheap. Regular price is not a lot cheaper than some of the purpose built injectors.

I would say just buy the good quality tools that are designed and made to make baits because in the long run you are going to spend more money trying to cut corners and save money. See what happened with the Jann's supplies, right? Of course if you are just tinkering with soft plastics and don't plan to sell them, then you can stay on course. Good Luck!

I would say just buy the good quality tools that are designed and made to make baits because in the long run you are going to spend more money trying to cut corners and save money. See what happened with the Jann's supplies, right? Of course if you are just tinkering with soft plastics and don't plan to sell them, then you can stay on course. Good Luck!

I do not plan to sell baits, but "just tinkering" and "look what happened" sounds derisive. I am exerimenting, trying, and learning. If not for guys like me doing that you would still be wrapping a night crawler around a gorge to catch fish.

Cutting corners is not the objective. Finding new and interesting ways to do things is. Like injectors... I'll probably eventually buy a couple different ones to see how others approached some of the issues, but I fully intend to stick with my own design. In fact I'm already done with my one to go in a caulking gun that I started making last night. Just waiting on a bag of o-rings to arrive and I'll test it. I do not trust the cheap ones with no product descriptions at the local hardware stores.

The meat injector was not even a cut corner injector. It was an idea to do something else entirely, but when it arrived I compared it to some of the other designs and decided to consider other options as well. It is actually a better product than I expected. I still plan to try it for doing controlled core shot colors in some baits. If it doesn't work for that I can always use it as another injector.

I would like to add that you come off like somehow you think the Jann's product experience was a fiasco or a failure. It wasn't. Oh sure, their products are poorly labeled and just toys at best, but you pay for knowledge and experience sometimes. I learned a heck of a lot in a couple hours of playing. AND... if I had decided it wasn't something I wanted to persue further it didn't cost me much.

Some might say my injection mold was a failure too, but it wasn't. I learned a lot about making molds, flow dynamics of plastisol, machining, clamping, aligning, etc etc, etc. I showed some of the baits that came from it to a buddy of mine. He's ticked that I don't plan to sell them. LOL. I actually plan to make several more of the same basic bait mold with corrections for my mistakes.

I'm torn though on what to call that bait. Camel Toe vs Tapeworm. LOL.

I do not plan to sell baits, but "just tinkering" and "look what happened" sounds derisive. I am exerimenting, trying, and learning. If not for guys like me doing that you would still be wrapping a night crawler around a gorge to catch fish.

Cutting corners is not the objective. Finding new and interesting ways to do things is. Like injectors... I'll probably eventually buy a couple different ones to see how others approached some of the issues, but I fully intend to stick with my own design. In fact I'm already done with my one to go in a caulking gun that I started making last night. Just waiting on a bag of o-rings to arrive and I'll test it. I do not trust the cheap ones with no product descriptions at the local hardware stores.

The meat injector was not even a cut corner injector. It was an idea to do something else entirely, but when it arrived I compared it to some of the other designs and decided to consider other options as well. It is actually a better product than I expected. I still plan to try it for doing controlled core shot colors in some baits. If it doesn't work for that I can always use it as another injector.

I would like to add that you come off like somehow you think the Jann's product experience was a fiasco or a failure. It wasn't. Oh sure, their products are poorly labeled and just toys at best, but you pay for knowledge and experience sometimes. I learned a heck of a lot in a couple hours of playing. AND... if I had decided it wasn't something I wanted to persue further it didn't cost me much.

Some might say my injection mold was a failure too, but it wasn't. I learned a lot about making molds, flow dynamics of plastisol, machining, clamping, aligning, etc etc, etc. I showed some of the baits that came from it to a buddy of mine. He's ticked that I don't plan to sell them. LOL. I actually plan to make several more of the same basic bait mold with corrections for my mistakes.

I'm torn though on what to call that bait. Camel Toe vs Tapeworm. LOL.

first off lol that would make a grate name camel toe. But what you are doing is how this all got start'ed with an ida an then some one would add to it. i say keep trying an good luck. and i am going to try the flaver injector my self.

Lets sum this up nice and easy. Its already been tried and it doesn't work. Just buy a small injector from somebody. Its cheaper than going to the ER and a lot less painful when you see the ER bill Obama forgot to pay for ya.

Edited by Pitbull Baits

I say good on ya! Stick with it, but take hot plastic precautions, which I am sure you already are.

Innovation and pushing the boundaries are what TU is all about, in my opinion.

Dave

Gloves, long sleeves, and plastic shield. Good thing too. The Jann's curly tail mold resulted in plastic all over my gloves. It was certainly more dangerous than anything I've designed. LOL.

Sorry to come off so harsh. As some have said, it is dangerous to play around with hot plastic. I guess I had your objective all wrong, but I wish you the best of luck. Buy the good ones though and try to improve on those, not the cheap things that were not even made for this type of work.

I just don't have the extra money to spend on lesser quality or products not designed for this hobby/business. I want good quality stuff up front and have the better chance of producing quality baits. After I have the "normal" process down, then I can start "tinkering" to see what can be improved on or my own designs. I would say use the "normal" stuff first and know what you are doing in making baits, then start tinkering from there. You need the knowledge and experience of how it is done and what all is involved before you start trying to improve or change it.

Good Luck and keep us posted of your progress!

Your initiative is awesome Bob!!! Wish I had more ime to experiment like back in the day.

You work reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.... "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." Walt Disney...

Can't wait to hear and see your findings....

Jim

If you don`t mind my asking, where did you get the meat injector from?

Its a cabelas injector, but I got it from a private party off Ebay. I know I can't use it the way it is. I was thinking I'ld cut the needle off at the 1st bleed hole. It will still be long enough to reach pretty far into the bait/mold.

I use a canjun injector, www.canjuninjector.com, they make two sizes and make them for cabelas too. I have had a del, a bear and a canjun injector, use all three as a matter of fact. Nothing wrong with the meat marinators except they screw on and take time to clear the nozzel. I have made my own injector from plumbing pieces too! What a rig!

The trick for all of them is keep them warm... I like to use the canjun as a back up. I use it as a back up. When my injector runs dry or solids up I can usually finish off the mold I was injecting using the cajun. I put a better O-ring in it.

I also do not make enough baits to justify another injector so the cajun I use when core shotting where I need a second color. I only have one of the professional models on hand at the moment.

You can get them from Amazon and cabelas. I would recomend it if you are not going to make many lures or need a back up for a few core shots.

Nothing compares to the real thing though. So if you are going to make lures using injection, get the real ones. Get a canjun if you just want to experiment for a few lures or as a back up. It is a hobby for me, sounds like for you too. So time and money are not issues, it is all fun.

Its a cabelas injector, but I got it from a private party off Ebay. I know I can't use it the way it is. I was thinking I'ld cut the needle off at the 1st bleed hole. It will still be long enough to reach pretty far into the bait/mold.

Thanks Bob. Looking forward to hearing how you did.

My meat injector has a screw on needle, I just took that off and use the threaded nipple as the nozzle. Work fine that way.

My meat injector has a screw on needle, I just took that off and use the threaded nipple as the nozzle. Work fine that way.

Got that, and if my needle is threaded into the nipple I'll do that if I use it as a regular injector. If not I'd just turn a nozzle on the old mini lathe. I actually have a totally different idea for the marinade injector.

I have been using one for about 5-years now. same o-ring, shot hundreds and hundreds of lures, i use it to shoot a few lures who's colors are working in the local bays, its great for shooting prototype colors for clients to show them what thier ideal of a color looks like on my lures. have not REPLACED A O-RING YET. the only malfunction is the shaft bent and i replaced it with all thread, the plunger will screw off the old one and mount up to the all thread. spray your cylinder with pam cooking spray once evey thirty or so shots and it work all day. if the o-ring does break, go to a hardwhare store and by a oring that may fit if not buy a oversized one cut in to size of the plunger diameter (cut o-ring in a 45-degree cut and super glue it together,) it will work for a long time before needing replacement. you can modidfy the tip for more volumn if you are shooting large baits

I have tried my large stainless steel meat injector- brand unknown. I got it at Academy or Sportsmen Warehouse. I found a great tip to replace the screw-in needle by using a cone shaped tip off one of my blow guns from my air compress tools. The end of the injector tube appears to be swedged on tight, so I have played with it much. Good Luck!

ATTA BOY BOB, My family calls me the nutty professor. I am the subject of many family jokes. All this is about having fun. Heck If we get hurt now and then its ok. Better than crash landing a motor cycle on asphalt. Been there done that ain't do'in it again. 30 yrs later I'm still paying for it.

ATTA BOY BOB, My family calls me the nutty professor. I am the subject of many family jokes. All this is about having fun. Heck If we get hurt now and then its ok. Better than crash landing a motor cycle on asphalt. Been there done that ain't do'in it again. 30 yrs later I'm still paying for it.

Well, I certainly don't want to get "HURT" but cuts and scrapes are a normal part of working with your hands. My dad used to say, "If you rebuild an engine and drop it in your truck without drawing blood atleast once the darn thing just won't run. Just try not to get blood on your work."

Been there with the motorcycle thing. I still ride, but I just don't get the same joy out of it.