northsea

Hook Coloring

Hi all,

Been experimenting with using red hooks recently and I believe they make a difference to the catch rate.

Perhaps something in addition for the fish to focus on???

Anyway, I'd like to be able to perhaps paint my own hooks if this is possible as buying red circles etc are very hard to source in the UK.

Anyone experimented with this?

Any feedback on this greatly appreciated indeed.

Chris

I've use a red blade dip from either Barlows or Lurecraft, I can't remember which.

I've also used red sharpies.

What I've found is that the red I got was dark, and didn't hold up very well. I had to constantly touch up the color, but it was so dark I just stopped after a while. It wasn't worth the effort.

The factory red hooks I've used are red over a gold plating, not the dark color of the trebles I use. I think the gold is important to lighten the red color.

But I've never pursued a gold undercoater. Too much like work.

Blade dip is the way to go, it will wear off but a jar of paint will do a bijillion hooks. It is a little dark over a standard bronze hook, but it works for me. You can always buy silver trebles for a lighter red, just dip a couple of times.

Hi all,

Been experimenting with using red hooks recently and I believe they make a difference to the catch rate.

Perhaps something in addition for the fish to focus on???

Anyway, I'd like to be able to perhaps paint my own hooks if this is possible as buying red circles etc are very hard to source in the UK.

Anyone experimented with this?

Any feedback on this greatly appreciated indeed.

Chris

If you use a cheap electrostatic gun with CC candy red over chrome(silver) hooks you will be happy with the results. Bronze gives too dark of a red for my liking. With the electrostatic painting and curing you will have hooks that stay red. This isn't a great pic. I did however get the exact color I was looking for.

Thanks a lot guys for the replies!

Seems there is a real problem producing a nice red if the hooks are not silver. :(

Tried permanent marker on a silver hook and it looks pretty good although realise it will not stay on for long. As you have pointed out the red is a little too dark on other hooks.

DDSBYDAY very interested in your electrostatic gun!

Can you explain what's involved pleased?

Also would it be possible to use this gun to produce a silver or perhaps white maybe then use your red?

Vast majority of hooks I use are not silver.

Many thanks again guys for the feedback. :yes:

Chris

The process of electrostatic painting is simple in concept and operation. Dry powder comprised of resins and pigments is pneumatically fed from a supply reservoir to a spray gun where a low amperage, high voltage charge is imparted to the powder. The part to be finished is electrically grounded. When sprayed, the charged powder articles are firmly attracted to the grounded part's surface and held there until melted and fused into a smooth coating in the curing ovens.

It's much more durable than liquid paint and it's an environmentally friendly process because there are no solvents to evaporate into the air or go down the drain. Different formulations (epoxy, urethane, polyester or a hybrid) are determined by the intended use of the item. For example, urethane and polyester offer the best exterior durability while epoxy is best for corrosion protection and chemical and solvent resistance.

The electrostatic gun uses the concept of static electricity. You only get one layer of powder paint. It is very uniform and durable. I'm pretty sure that you would have to find the right color of red to go over the particular hook you are using. I will be switching to non offset tournement approved circle hooks for my Gulf coast friends. If I come up with the right hook and color combo I will let you know.

The process of electrostatic painting is simple in concept and operation. Dry powder comprised of resins and pigments is pneumatically fed from a supply reservoir to a spray gun where a low amperage, high voltage charge is imparted to the powder. The part to be finished is electrically grounded. When sprayed, the charged powder articles are firmly attracted to the grounded part's surface and held there until melted and fused into a smooth coating in the curing ovens.

It's much more durable than liquid paint and it's an environmentally friendly process because there are no solvents to evaporate into the air or go down the drain. Different formulations (epoxy, urethane, polyester or a hybrid) are determined by the intended use of the item. For example, urethane and polyester offer the best exterior durability while epoxy is best for corrosion protection and chemical and solvent resistance.

The electrostatic gun uses the concept of static electricity. You only get one layer of powder paint. It is very uniform and durable. I'm pretty sure that you would have to find the right color of red to go over the particular hook you are using. I will be switching to non offset tournement approved circle hooks for my Gulf coast friends. If I come up with the right hook and color combo I will let you know.

I have been experimenting with trailer hooks painting them to match the skirt colors.I get a bottle of nail polish comes in almost any color and paint them some you only have to paint once. then I top coat them with sally hansen hard as nails.Seems to be very durable.What's your opinion on the painted trailor hooks painted the color of the skirt.THANKS Edited by baitbucket

I have been experimenting with trailer hooks painting them to match the skirt colors.I get a bottle of nail polish comes in almost any color and paint them some you only have to paint once. then I top coat them with sally hansen hard as nails.Seems to be very durable.What's your opinion on the painted trailor hooks painted the color of the skirt.THANKS

I actually like the idea of painted trailer hooks matching the trailer color. I would worry about extra thickness on the hook point itself, so I would only paint the shank, and most of the bend.

With the nail polish system, I can see being able to put on a white undercoat, and then the color over it, to achieve any color, including vivid red.

I am I big fan of colored hooks,as well as dressed red hooks which are a killer attractant. I have been putting red hooks on lots of my baits and it seems to have turned the bite on for me. I like this topic and I am going to try out some of this out , Oh Yeah and save $$$. Thanks for the ideas!:D

Edited by VermontPhisher

I have been experimenting with trailer hooks painting them to match the skirt colors.I get a bottle of nail polish comes in almost any color and paint them some you only have to paint once. then I top coat them with sally hansen hard as nails.Seems to be very durable.What's your opinion on the painted trailor hooks painted the color of the skirt.THANKS

I like colored hooks. I have used red, chartreuse and purple regularly. I like to paint sinkers too. Here in Minnesota we use a yellow walking sinker and a purple hook. we call it a Viking rig. (our NFL team) It is very effective for walleye. The chrome hooks are the easist to paint. All of the candy colors look very nice on them.

I am I big fan of colored hooks,as well as dressed red hooks which are a killer attractant. I have been putting red hooks on lots of my baits and it seems to have turned the bite on for me. I like this topic and I am going to try out some of this out , Oh Yeah and save $$$. Thanks for the ideas!:D

I put a piece of masking tape over the point and eye of the hook.It doesn't seam to add to much weight to the hook .f

I used a product called color magic dye that worked good. It is used for dyeing glass and jewelry It also works good on blades and they have all kinds of colors

Could you post the brand name, or a link? I googled color magic dye, and all I found was hair tint, or leather dye.

I use a powder coat paint to paint my hooks. I heat the hooks in the oven and dip them in the powder paint, careful not to dip them all the way to the hook point, and then put them back in the oven to cure them for about 10-15 minutes. I usually paint the hooks for using with a plastic worm or fluke. I have used a watermelon color with red glitter to match watermelon red, black glitter to match watermelon seed, black paint, red, pink, etc. I will also do my lead weights this way as well.