Firechief

Angle Or Dangle Of The Crank Lip

I am in the process of learning how to make my own cranks and was wondering is someone could kindly instruct me on how to determine the angle the lip should be placed. I understand that length and shape have a great deal to do with action. I just need some basic info right now on how one determines the proper angle of the lip.

I am in the process of learning how to make my own cranks and was wondering is someone could kindly instruct me on how to determine the angle the lip should be placed. I understand that length and shape have a great deal to do with action. I just need some basic info right now on how one determines the proper angle of the lip.

depending on whats needed. depth, style of lure? theres a countless factor into your question.

depending on whats needed. depth, style of lure? theres a countless factor into your question.

Ok Understood

Say I was making a 3 inch bait fish / tight acdtion/medium diver

How would I know what to do with what?

Here is a link to a website with tons of info regarding crankbaits. Take a look. I'm sure it will help answer some of your questions.

http://www.crankbaitcentral.com/CrankbaitABCs/index.html

Thanks Rayborn Guy for the info

I believe that I am seeing the picture some what clearer now. It is a matter of trial and error in the beginning until the makers experience and knowledge base is increased. This is a good thing in that having something to "chase" is the reason why I do things such as this, I have heard that it is a fine line indeed between a hobby and insanity

Chief

Under the heading of not reinventing the wheel, find a crank that's similar to what you're making in size that dives to the depth you want to achieve, and use that bill design and angle as a starting point.

You will learn more as you experiment, but this will give a head start.

Thanks Rayborn Guy for the info

I believe that I am seeing the picture some what clearer now. It is a matter of trial and error in the beginning until the makers experience and knowledge base is increased. This is a good thing in that having something to "chase" is the reason why I do things such as this, I have heard that it is a fine line indeed between a hobby and insanity

Chief

Hi

90% of my luremaking is gun ho stuff. Suck it and see smile.gif. I have just made my first small crank baits and when it came to decide what angle the lip went in at I looked at the baits I have in my collection and decided, or how it seems to me, there wasn't any common angle at all. So what I decided to do was start at 30 degrees and work my way up. I quite enjoy the uncertainty of it all when you finally get to chuck it into the pond on the end of a line. Two choices then, it either works or it doesn't.

I am sure there is a mass of physics and aquadynamics involved and I know for sure there are guys on here who could give a definative answer but it would probably melt my brain blink.gif (which aint the best brain in the world anyway).

Same ethic as regards shape, I figured I would start with round and enhance when I knew what the effect was. I think along the lines "If you dont try you will never know", it works for me but some would look at that ethic as a shoddy way of going about things.

Under the heading of not reinventing the wheel, find a crank that's similar to what you're making in size that dives to the depth you want to achieve, and use that bill design and angle as a starting point.

You will learn more as you experiment, but this will give a head start.

I will do just that. Sometimes the simple answer is the one that "hangs" my intellectual hook.

Chief