Crank Bait Lips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atrophius

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

I had been thinking the other day about being able to have a punchable lip tool. Has anyone entertained the idea of making a punch shaped like a lip, putting that on a stick, and being able to hammer a lip out? I dont know if it is feasable, but I am getting tired of cutting and sanding lol.

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:50 AM

If you are using a large number of the same lip, you can get a steel die made for the lip and use a hydraulic press to cut them out of polycarbonate. Otherwise, I haven't heard of a home rolled punch system that works.

#3 diemai

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:29 AM

@ atrophius

Like BobP stated , ......it would require a hydraulic press or at least a mechanical press with a threaded spindle and accelerating weights to work with such dies , even the biggest sledge hammers might not generate sufficient power to punch even through even only 1/20" thick polycarbonate or aluminium , not to mention steel ,.......... also it is impossible to properly lead the direction of their force , ........one improper hit could damage the die .

Such a die is a precision made tool consisting of a bottom steel plate(can be soft) , a cutting plate(hardened steel) and on top a guiding plate(hardened) , .....also a hardened punch , off course ,.........all the three plates must be bonded absolutely flush with machine screws and highly accurate registration pins .

The punch and the guiding and cutting plate's fit requires tolerances of about 1/100" or less to fuction properly , I have handmade sucha die during my apprenticeship about 27 years ago , should be impossible to do for a novice in precision metal work , .......so many mistakes to be made .

greetz , Dieter :yay:

Edited by diemai, 08 May 2010 - 01:30 AM.

#4 hazmail

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:59 AM

I have been using this contraption for years, will cut 1 to 1.5mm Brass/Lexan/Aluminum sheet easily - I posted this a couple of years back, maybe if you can get someone to make a lip shaped die (maybe Diemai) it would work -

To make one------------round punches are easiest if you know someone with a lathe and or a good drill press. If you make one you can smack lips out by the hundred, then you can just trim/ sand the edges in a simple jig - - bigger diameters/thickness needs bigger effort, this is where hydraulics/air or and electric motor with a hefty flywheel would do the job- easy.Pete