ALC609

Lee's Lead Pot

I believe the spout is brazed or welded onto the pot. As far as cleaning the spout, empty all the lead. Let the pot cool down. Disassemble the plunger. Then steel wool everything down, plunger and inside of pot. Take a look at the spout hole to make sure nothing is blocking it, steel wool that as well. Assemble everything together and fill with lead. This should work much better or you. Try it out and let us know how it works.

I believe the spout is brazed or welded onto the pot. As far as cleaning the spout, empty all the lead. Let the pot cool down. Disassemble the plunger. Then steel wool everything down, plunger and inside of pot. Take a look at the spout hole to make sure nothing is blocking it, steel wool that as well. Assemble everything together and fill with lead. This should work much better or you. Try it out and let us know how it works.

I had similar problems, the pot would clog at the tip after about 500 jigs. I finally just drilled the tip out one size bigger, the lead flows a lot better and doesn't get clogged. Make sure you take the plunger out before you drill, don't want to ruin that. It still works for any size jigs, even down to 1/64 oz, and the lead flows out a lot better.

Kev

I had similar problems, the pot would clog at the tip after about 500 jigs. I finally just drilled the tip out one size bigger, the lead flows a lot better and doesn't get clogged. Make sure you take the plunger out before you drill, don't want to ruin that. It still works for any size jigs, even down to 1/64 oz, and the lead flows out a lot better.

Kev

SOUNDS To me like you are getting dross in the tip. Are you running 500 jigs before you add and clean or flux the lead. If the lead is low it makes the tip easier to clog because unwanted particles don't as much room and tend to accumilate as the flow vortex decends toward the tip.

does anybody know if the spout on the bottom of a lee's production pot will screw off for cleaning? or whats some ideas on how to clean, mine keeps stopping up at the spout.

You simply have crud (dross) in there. With melted lead in the pot and the plunger down just take any metal object that will fit in the hole. Bend it at 90degrees and stick it up the hole. I use a small file. Scrape the sides and you are good to go. Be careful. The reason for the 90 degree bend is that you do not want your hand under that hole.

SOUNDS To me like you are getting dross in the tip. Are you running 500 jigs before you add and clean or flux the lead. If the lead is low it makes the tip easier to clog because unwanted particles don't as much room and tend to accumilate as the flow vortex decends toward the tip.

Exactly what happens. I'm too lazy to flux everytime I add lead. I do anywhere between 100 and 500 jigs a night and have never had to flux or clean the tip since i drilled it out. If the mold is hard to pour then I will flux, otherwise it doesnt make sense to stop production to clean the lead.

You simply have crud (dross) in there. With melted lead in the pot and the plunger down just take any metal object that will fit in the hole. Bend it at 90degrees and stick it up the hole. I use a small file. Scrape the sides and you are good to go. Be careful. The reason for the 90 degree bend is that you do not want your hand under that hole.

Yep. paper clip works just fine.

Nope the tip is attached to the inner pot. Basically what the other guys have said flux more and you won't get the problem. I have an old jig head with the barb cut off and bent in an L shape if it ever does.

If you ever send that pop back to Lee for refurbish or repair you may have voided the warranty. On the fluxing I don't see where it would take you any longer to do it since when you add lead it needs to melt and come up to temp anyway.

My wife just saw where I can have my whole pot refurbished for 1/2 the price of a new one and I told her no way it works too darn good!!!!!!!!!! I bought it in 1983 and it's still kickin out jigs bigtime!!!!!

Fatman

My wife just saw where I can have my whole pot refurbished for 1/2 the price of a new one and I told her no way it works too darn good!!!!!!!!!! I bought it in 1983 and it's still kickin out jigs bigtime!!!!!

Fatman

Yes she is absolutely correct they will refurbish it for half the cost. On another note I know mine isn't as old as yours, but I bought my original in 2002 and it still works to this day no problems. Poured a lot of jigs through that pot though. For the money you can't beat a Lee IV bottom pour pot .

Yes she is absolutely correct they will refurbish it for half the cost. On another note I know mine isn't as old as yours, but I bought my original in 2002 and it still works to this day no problems. Poured a lot of jigs through that pot though. For the money you can't beat a Lee IV bottom pour pot .

Yeah both my pots are IV's, I'm tempted but it's always worked so good (That old adage about if it ain't broke don't screw with it!!!!!!! pops to mind LOL), but I could have the old timer fixed up and use the newer one for a daily, daily pot and give it a good workout.

Fatman

Edited by Fatman

Exactly what happens. I'm too lazy to flux everytime I add lead. I do anywhere between 100 and 500 jigs a night and have never had to flux or clean the tip since i drilled it out. If the mold is hard to pour then I will flux, otherwise it doesnt make sense to stop production to clean the lead.

Was that a production pot IV that you drilled out??