DanCampbell

Crankbait Parts

Hello,

I want to buy lips (Lexan and Fiber board) and belly weights for crank baits, does anyone have a link other than Janns?

I have done many searches on the net but have come up empty, I did find one site that has just what I want but they will not reply or answer the phone.

Thanks

Dan

Hello,

I want to buy lips (Lexan and Fiber board) and belly weights for crank baits, does anyone have a link other than Janns?

I have done many searches on the net but have come up empty, I did find one site that has just what I want but they will not reply or answer the phone.

Thanks

Dan

I use McMasters Carr to purchase the fiber board (micarta) and home depot for the plastic. I buy hollow core lead in the 1/4 inch diameter for my bottom weight from Cabalas sporting goods. They have a good web site. I insert my hook hanger in the hollow core lead and turn one wire down and leave the other sticking up. Epoxy the lead in and you can't pull it out.

Rotorhead

Hmm, I bet some of us know what unresponsive site you are talking about! There aren't a lot of sources out there for crankbait components and the ones there are have limited selections. I suggest you fashion your own lips and ballast weights. It allows you to customize your crankbaits to perform just the way you want them to. The same goes for crankbait bodies. One thing you will discover with pre-formed bodies is that most of them don't come with lip slots when you buy them, so you are left to cut a slot in an already rounded body - which is very difficult to do.

Checkout lurepartsonline.com they have some nice products at decent prices and also have a catalog. I just bought some belly weight hook hanger combos from them. They even offer 2" stainless steel screw eyes! :D I just made my first order from them last week and was very pleased with the customer service.

Edited by VermontPhisher

OK,

So I'm not the only one getting the cold shoulder attempting to get "crank bait parts"

.15 cents a lip sounded good.

I went to McMasters Carr and they seem to have a lot of types and thicknesses of Micarta, I'm not sure of the thickness but the stuff on custom cranks that I buy is pale green and pretty thin. (Any thoughts?)

If you could point me in the right direction as far as micarta goes that would be great.

Dan

OK,

So I'm not the only one getting the cold shoulder attempting to get "crank bait parts"

.15 cents a lip sounded good.

I went to McMasters Carr and they seem to have a lot of types and thicknesses of Micarta, I'm not sure of the thickness but the stuff on custom cranks that I buy is pale green and pretty thin. (Any thoughts?)

If you could point me in the right direction as far as micarta goes that would be great.

Dan

Have you looked at Janns Netcraft?

Not sure what style you would want, but I've always had good luck with these folks.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/crankbait-bills-lure-lips/340210.aspx

Micarta (aka Garolite, aka G-10, etc) - The thickness used most often on bass baits is 1/32" and the greenish white variety is hard to find. McMaster-Carr's G-10 is a dull yellow (ugly). Their more costly G-11 is an attractive light green but is more expensive. I have gotten the greenish white G-10 from www.asp-rocketry.com in the past but someone recently told me they are now carrying a different shade of G-10. The problem we bait makers run into is that most G-10 users either don't care what the color is, or they paint over it, so color is not a big consideration. You can look around and order a whole 4'x8' sheet and get the color you like, but not many of us build enough crankbaits to warrant doing that.

You can get 1/16" thick polycarbonate (aka Lexan) at a glazier's shop, home center, or can order it in 1'x1' squares from McMaster-Carr. They also carry a good selection of stainless wire types.

You can also buy lead wire from firearms reloading sites if you want to roll your own ballast weights, or you can use small egg sinkers, or can melt scrap lead down. Most of us adapt to the raw materials that are available, you just need to be flexible.

Micarta (aka Garolite, aka G-10, etc) - The thickness used most often on bass baits is 1/32" and the greenish white variety is hard to find. McMaster-Carr's G-10 is a dull yellow (ugly). Their more costly G-11 is an attractive light green but is more expensive. I have gotten the greenish white G-10 from www.asp-rocketry.com in the past but someone recently told me they are now carrying a different shade of G-10. The problem we bait makers run into is that most G-10 users either don't care what the color is, or they paint over it, so color is not a big consideration. You can look around and order a whole 4'x8' sheet and get the color you like, but not many of us build enough crankbaits to warrant doing that.

You can get 1/16" thick polycarbonate (aka Lexan) at a glazier's shop, home center, or can order it in 1'x1' squares from McMaster-Carr. They also carry a good selection of stainless wire types.

You can also buy lead wire from firearms reloading sites if you want to roll your own ballast weights, or you can use small egg sinkers, or can melt scrap lead down. Most of us adapt to the raw materials that are available, you just need to be flexible.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Great information.

Dan

Hello,

Thanks

Dan

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/

Dan,

On page 53 if you download or just look on line they have lips down in lower left, They also had a little book with very helpful hints and procedures. I haven't dealt with them in a few years but when I did they were good to deal with. They had good pricing also.

http://www.hagensfish.com/

Around page 62 or 63 they have lips.

These guys are in the U.S. and fantastic pricing. Just pay attention to the pricing , usually its based on 1000 pcs.

best O' luck

Goonsdad

go blackhawks

Great information,

Thanks guys.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/

Dan,

On page 53 if you download or just look on line they have lips down in lower left, They also had a little book with very helpful hints and procedures. I haven't dealt with them in a few years but when I did they were good to deal with. They had good pricing also.

http://www.hagensfish.com/

Around page 62 or 63 they have lips.

These guys are in the U.S. and fantastic pricing. Just pay attention to the pricing , usually its based on 1000 pcs.

best O' luck

Goonsdad

go blackhawks