Stevenwxly

Removing Paint From Plugs

Hello All.

I am a professional lure maker.....I make old school wooden plugs for bass, crappie, even some big old thru -wire saltwater type lures.

About 6 months ago I was fortunate enough to buy out a friend of mine - who had manufactured wood blanks for years for many of the major lure manufactures. I could name all the names....but that is not important.

I got a hold of several thousand wood blanks that were turned on a giant lathe. Some were unpainted, - many others were painted at the lure factories....and sent back to my friend for completion....for him to add hardwear and such.

I have been selling the lure blanks as little lure kits online for a few months.....and had until now been selling the painted lures just in a big pile....since the all had some small chigger bites or imperfections in the paint on them.

I tried several methods to clean the paint from them to get them back to just a plain wood blank.....first scrubbing them with gasoline - which was a time consuming and messy job.

Then I got some paint remover....which was also very messy work. Then I bought a rock polisher at Harbor Freight and began turnihg 3-4 painted plugs at a time on the rock polisher - using sand and a little water....and it was critical as to the amount of sand, water to make for a good balance in the container or if it was out of balance - the polisher would no longer turn correctly.

The two containers that came with the rock polisher had 'funky' closures - in that the nut broke almost immediately from both containers. So I went to a plastic container....a non - see thru....and then finally to just a plain old mayonaise jar - that I could look thru to see how things were going during the polishing process.

Today I hit upon the ideal thing - I believe............I put in about 2 ozs. of the paint remover....called Klean-Strip Stripper from Wal-Mart..........along with about 2-3 tablespoons of the sand.

Then I put in about 4-5 of the painted plugs....and instead of having to turn them for 2-3 days ( 24/7) ....about 72 hours to remove all the paint..........with just the sand and water.....the paint remover and the sand took off all the paint in about 45 minutes......quick - fairly painless - and a hell of a good way to clean off your old painted plugs - so that you can work them over or repaint them.

after taking off all the paint from the plugs - I washed them off with soapy warm water in the bathroom sink...then put them into a 200 degree oven to dry throughly for about an hour or so...."wall la"......the plugs were not back to pretty much their originalo state of being just a plain wood blank- ready for a new paint job and hardware.....and of course - 'fishing them".

Thought this was a pretty good tip - and was I willing to share this with all my friends here at TackleUnderground.com, as I have learned many new things about making lures that I did not know previously.

Steve Weatherly Little Bit Lrues - Greenfield, MO

Hello All.

I am a professional lure maker.....I make old school wooden plugs for bass, crappie, even some big old thru -wire saltwater type lures.

About 6 months ago I was fortunate enough to buy out a friend of mine - who had manufactured wood blanks for years for many of the major lure manufactures. I could name all the names....but that is not important.

I got a hold of several thousand wood blanks that were turned on a giant lathe. Some were unpainted, - many others were painted at the lure factories....and sent back to my friend for completion....for him to add hardwear and such.

I have been selling the lure blanks as little lure kits online for a few months.....and had until now been selling the painted lures just in a big pile....since the all had some small chigger bites or imperfections in the paint on them.

I tried several methods to clean the paint from them to get them back to just a plain wood blank.....first scrubbing them with gasoline - which was a time consuming and messy job.

Then I got some paint remover....which was also very messy work. Then I bought a rock polisher at Harbor Freight and began turnihg 3-4 painted plugs at a time on the rock polisher - using sand and a little water....and it was critical as to the amount of sand, water to make for a good balance in the container or if it was out of balance - the polisher would no longer turn correctly.

The two containers that came with the rock polisher had 'funky' closures - in that the nut broke almost immediately from both containers. So I went to a plastic container....a non - see thru....and then finally to just a plain old mayonaise jar - that I could look thru to see how things were going during the polishing process.

Today I hit upon the ideal thing - I believe............I put in about 2 ozs. of the paint remover....called Klean-Strip Stripper from Wal-Mart..........along with about 2-3 tablespoons of the sand.

Then I put in about 4-5 of the painted plugs....and instead of having to turn them for 2-3 days ( 24/7) ....about 72 hours to remove all the paint..........with just the sand and water.....the paint remover and the sand took off all the paint in about 45 minutes......quick - fairly painless - and a hell of a good way to clean off your old painted plugs - so that you can work them over or repaint them.

after taking off all the paint from the plugs - I washed them off with soapy warm water in the bathroom sink...then put them into a 200 degree oven to dry throughly for about an hour or so...."wall la"......the plugs were not back to pretty much their originalo state of being just a plain wood blank- ready for a new paint job and hardware.....and of course - 'fishing them".

Thought this was a pretty good tip - and was I willing to share this with all my friends here at TackleUnderground.com, as I have learned many new things about making lures that I did not know previously.

Steve Weatherly Little Bit Lrues - Greenfield, MO

Steve good info, good stuff!

Would like to buy a few of them from you.

Great info, but you are not allowed to advertise your company. Read the rules.

I shouldn't even have to post this. Moderators are supposed to spot these infringements, but they don't seem to care.

I hope the link and this post get deleted very quickly.

Dave

Steve, thanks for the technique! I've also read here on TU that some of the top lure refinishing businesses use a blast cabinet with walnut hulls to strip finish before repainting.

If you think I was trying to advertise my business or sell my lures with my last post, " removing Paint From Lures"....really I was not........

I am fairly new here, but have been building lures for many years..........Sorry if I bent the rules.....I was not trying to sell anything....not my lures nor the information that I imparted for free in my post....merely trying to pass on info that I have gained while trying different methods to clean old paint off lures to spruce them up.

If.........well intentioned new techniques are not welcome here ..... then perhaps I ( and my ideas) would be more welcome at another venue.

Steve

If you think I was trying to advertise my business or sell my lures with my last post, " removing Paint From Lures"....really I was not........

I am fairly new here, but have been building lures for many years..........Sorry if I bent the rules.....I was not trying to sell anything....not my lures nor the information that I imparted for free in my post....merely trying to pass on info that I have gained while trying different methods to clean old paint off lures to spruce them up.

If.........well intentioned new techniques are not welcome here ..... then perhaps I ( and my ideas) would be more welcome at another venue.

Steve

Steve,

You didn't say what brand of mayonaise jar. :lol:

Seriously, it was a great post, and please don't be offended by us.

We've all inhaled too many paint fumes.