GB GONE

10 Cavity Or Greater Hand Injection Molds? Anybody Using?

Some are 5 and some are 2 from Bears.

Maybe I am missing things/items on Bear's site as I only see 1 cavity for $69.50 on the 5" grub. Other manufacturers sell 2 cavities for $70 or less. Can you send me a link?

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits

Maybe I am missing things/items on Bear's site as I only see 1 cavity for $69.50 on the 5" grub. Other manufacturers sell 2 cavities for $70 or less. Can you send me a link?

Jim

That 5'"is a monster-measured from the head to the outside curve of the tail.The head of the grub is almost the thickness of your pinky finger .You could smack people in the face w/the tail and put a welt on their face-if not knock them out. :unsure: The 3" -2 cavity is the one you want. I'm having a 3 1/2'"-dual cavity custom grub mold made .I'll bet this will be similar to the 5" Kalin or Zoom Albert is size and shape.

Call David-he'll send you a sample of the differt grubs and worms-that's how I started w/ this madness.

Whatever happned to just hand pouring?

What is your point? Another off topic posting again!!!

Why not be good and efficient at many methods?? What does your posting have to do with this topic or are you trying to stir up problems rather than offer information??

Jim

Jim,

I'm with you on this one. I would love to see the molds come in a standard size of 10 or 12 cavities, that means I shoot once, one package of baits is ready. I know I could shoot a lot more, but I'm still in high school, well for a week, then I'll be working 40 hours a week over the summer, and then college in the fall. I usually come home with a few orders a day, and shoot them right then because what I like to use and have on stock is usually different than what people want. This is kinda off topic, but if the mold makers on here see it and take this into consideration I would most likely be more productive, not having to pour to the greatest common factor, and then buy more molds. Yes I could custom order, but its just simpler if its standard. Does anyone sell grubs in a pack of 8, or 6? Just my two cents.

Thanks,

George

Edited by GDille

i think what needs to happen is for one of the mold makers to come out with a low cost injection machine. one that can fill larger molds ( say up to 30 cav or so). i know hand injection has gotten pretty big but i think what youre looking for is the next step up. rather than hand injection and having to suck up the plastic and shoot .something you can pull a lever and the machine injects the mold. or maybe the opposite. like something that would suck the plastic into the mold rather than pushing it into the mold that way there would be no pressure. i think this could be the next big thing in bait making. the larger cavity molds would obviously be more $$ but i think it would be worth it. im just throwing a few ideas out there of what i would like to see in the near future. a simple low cost machine that can hold maybe a gallon of plastic?? nothing to fancy . of course it would have to shoot laminates

One thing that I think gets missed when talking about multi-cavity molds is the amount of heat they retain. A smaller number of cavities mold will shed heat much better than a 20 cavity mold. I have used different brands of injection molds in single and multicavity. Large bulky baits generate a lot of heat in a mold. I have a string of injection baits that are bulky and by the nineth shoot, I can't handle them without gloves. I need to get some batting gloves with some dexterity to them as my shooting gloves are like wearing mittens and trying to demold.

Tim

i think what needs to happen is for one of the mold makers to come out with a low cost injection machine. one that can fill larger molds ( say up to 30 cav or so). i know hand injection has gotten pretty big but i think what youre looking for is the next step up. rather than hand injection and having to suck up the plastic and shoot .something you can pull a lever and the machine injects the mold. or maybe the opposite. like something that would suck the plastic into the mold rather than pushing it into the mold that way there would be no pressure. i think this could be the next big thing in bait making. the larger cavity molds would obviously be more $$ but i think it would be worth it. im just throwing a few ideas out there of what i would like to see in the near future. a simple low cost machine that can hold maybe a gallon of plastic?? nothing to fancy . of course it would have to shoot laminates

One thing that I think gets missed when talking about multi-cavity molds is the amount of heat they retain. A smaller number of cavities mold will shed heat much better than a 20 cavity mold. I have used different brands of injection molds in single and multicavity. Large bulky baits generate a lot of heat in a mold. I have a string of injection baits that are bulky and by the nineth shoot, I can't handle them without gloves. I need to get some batting gloves with some dexterity to them as my shooting gloves are like wearing mittens and trying to demold.

Tim

For years there has been pressure pots, I believe lurecraft still sells one, thats the best way to go for production.

The vaccumm idea has been played with By me and a bunch of other guys on this forum for years as well. Alumin molds dont work really well with vaccum do to the heat that is disapated via alum. Pop and RTV work far much better.. big multi cavity molds I would rule out on vacumm.

However I never tried it will a real vacumm pump that was large and had lots of storage. they generally go for 1-5k . We used a vaccumm pump that we used for A/c work and a canister out of a 69 rsss camaro ( as I had a few laying around the house from my car days).

you can make your own pressure pot very easy and prett cheap. all american pressure cookers are the only ones to use and they come in a bunch of different sizes. they run about 125-150 bucks and there built out of thick alum and have NO plastic parts and a very stout locking lid. heating bands can be bought online as well. if you knwo what your doing you could build one for as little as $400 if you dont know what your doing and have some friends thats helps keep the cost down.

I got 2 here that I have had for a while just for my own dicking around, one of these days I will post up some pics and part numbers so people get the idea.

when using pressure pots like anything else you have to be VERY carefull. as pressure and 350 degree plastic dont mix. a POP OFF VALVE ( which is supplied with pressure cookers) is A MUST and Also your compressor you have you MUST buy a REAL regulator and REAL Guage not this garbage that comes from china on a home depot compressor, you need a 0-20 or 0-30 guage with a fine adjustment regulator.( quality automotive paint supply houses sell them, I like the devilvess(sp) ones)

Pressure pots are still the way to go, you just open the valve fill up then close valve. you dont have any air sucking problems because the plastic is at the bottom of the pot.

with a pressure pot due to you can shoot very fast you need to have more molds to allow for cool down Usually about 1-1.5 mins if that, it doesnt make any difference if its a 1 cavity mold or a 100 cavity mold.

Unless you run water cooling ports on a mold then your going to have molds get pretty warm in a production setting. some guys use pc case fans on molds of have slots cut into them for heat sinks to keep the mold cool.

Again these are on production levels not a guy pouring a few hundred or even a thousand baits after work, but guys that do this 8-12 hours a day 5-7 days a week with employees.

the big key is you need to be set-up for your circumstance's.

Delw

Jim,

I'm with you on this one. I would love to see the molds come in a standard size of 10 or 12 cavities, that means I shoot once, one package of baits is ready. I know I could shoot a lot more, but I'm still in high school, well for a week, then I'll be working 40 hours a week over the summer, and then college in the fall. I usually come home with a few orders a day, and shoot them right then because what I like to use and have on stock is usually different than what people want. This is kinda off topic, but if the mold makers on here see it and take this into consideration I would most likely be more productive, not having to pour to the greatest common factor, and then buy more molds. Yes I could custom order, but its just simpler if its standard. Does anyone sell grubs in a pack of 8, or 6? Just my two cents.

Thanks,

George

Good to see some young views on this board and glad to see a young one with work ethics like you. As for the molds all you have to do is ask the mold makers to make a bigger one and most can and will do it for you. At least the ones that actually make the molds. I have done this and had good results. But they do shoot differant in some ways so it sounds easy but it can be tricky. Great subject Jim Thanks Frank

What is up with this guy?????? Nothing pertains to the topic, he just randomly spews nonsense.

Once again, a febile attempt to stir up problems.

Back to the topic. Thanks for all the info Del. Sounds like going past 4-6 cavities may not be that great of an idea unless a pressure pot is involved or lots of elbow grease.

Thanks all as this has really helped me form how to go forward.

Jim

I had thought about the multiple cavities as well. I have 5 cavity Stick worm molds and ThinEsse worm molds from Bear and some multi cavity molds from Kevin. I have thought about having a 20 or 30 cavity ThinEsse worm mold built but wondered about the effect on the plastic. The sprue would hold a lot of plastic which would lead to a lot of waste, especially when pouring laminates. I would think the likelihood of bad baits would increase. I do agree that multi cavity molds would be faster than singles even if the mold does get hot a lot faster. I also take all of the screws out of my molds and use clamps.

On 5/13/2010 at 11:03 AM, GB GONE said:

The other thought is that with a larger cavity mold, you just might have to have a pin/bolt/wing nut in the center area for closure.

I'd have to leave that to the mold makers but at some point, pressure at just the sides may not be enough.

Just thinking.....

Jim

What companies are best at making custom molds for soft plastics an what’s the cost on a 20 cavity mold . I kinda new to this been making custom baits as a hobby an some of my baits have never been on the market . They are my own creations of how I fish an I’m ready to try to get them in other fisherman’s hands . I’ve made several molds with plaster an silicone just to make prototypes but that’s not a real effective or efficient way to make baits an it’s kinda aggravating any help would be appreciated.

Most any of them will make customs. I would look at  the stickies on top of this page & start contacting them. It's going to be  somewhat expensive, but atleast you know these guys won't be pumping out copies of your molds.I don't know of Curt at enforcermolds.com does or not, but cncmolds&stuff, baitjunkys, basstackle & ultramolds are where i'd check first.

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1

Depending on the size of bait and the volume of runners in mold, a 20 bait mold can take a lot of plastic. If you are hand injecting consider the size of your injector and how much it would take to shoot the mold. I presume you would want to shoot it in one shot. Just something to consider. 

• Like 1