Piscivorous Pike

Where Do I Look For A Spool, Abu Garcia Xlt Plus?

I need a part, and do not what to do. Any suggestions where to look, ask or seek them out?

I need spare spools for Abu Garcia XLT Plus reels, mine are left hand but I do not think that makes a difference. Factory does not have any. I believe the predecessor, xlt, (no plus) is the same. XLT plus were made 1983-89 with a life time warranty. The predecessor worked the same, same parts but the appearance was traditional. The Plus had the low profile palming appearance.

They have flipping switch, adjustable magnetics brake, interchangeable spools, the side plate locks on with a bayonet latch , feel wheel casting, disengaging the line pick up, lots of bearings, machined bronze gears, cast light to heavy lures, line and never backlash, available in left hand. It is an easy transition for a spinning reel user. Also can handle 1/8 oz lures, 4.7:1 pickup is bit slow by today's standards; one model was two speed. Google a picture of the Abu Garcia xlt plus to see it if you like.

Most high end reels do not have all the features these do, they were 20 years ahead of their time in design is all.

These are the majority of my casting reels, but I cannot locate spools. I can find the reel on ebay occaissionally, never see the two speed. Would love to get one of those.

Assume you have checked with Abu Garcia parts department? I use the old 1970's Pro Max reels which also came with a lifetime warranty and Abu still carries parts for them at reasonable cost. You might also check with southwesternparts.com. It is possible that a spool from another reel might fit your XLT's. Southwestern or Abu might know about it.

Assume you have checked with Abu Garcia parts department? I use the old 1970's Pro Max reels which also came with a lifetime warranty and Abu still carries parts for them at reasonable cost. You might also check with southwesternparts.com. It is possible that a spool from another reel might fit your XLT's. Southwestern or Abu might know about it.

A.G. stated they were no longer available.

I passed up an Ebay auction on an original XLT Plus because the level wind guide was damageda and A.G. was not promising about its repair either.

I don't know what model xlt plus you have but he's got schematics for several. And they have the spool assembly for an 85 it's about 38 bucks...expensive.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_XLT_PLUS_85_0.pdf

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=975378&sort=5a

I need a part, and do not what to do. Any suggestions where to look, ask or seek them out?

I need spare spools for Abu Garcia XLT Plus reels, mine are left hand but I do not think that makes a difference. Factory does not have any. I believe the predecessor, xlt, (no plus) is the same. XLT plus were made 1983-89 with a life time warranty. The predecessor worked the same, same parts but the appearance was traditional. The Plus had the low profile palming appearance.

They have flipping switch, adjustable magnetics brake, interchangeable spools, the side plate locks on with a bayonet latch , feel wheel casting, disengaging the line pick up, lots of bearings, machined bronze gears, cast light to heavy lures, line and never backlash, available in left hand. It is an easy transition for a spinning reel user. Also can handle 1/8 oz lures, 4.7:1 pickup is bit slow by today's standards; one model was two speed. Google a picture of the Abu Garcia xlt plus to see it if you like.

Most high end reels do not have all the features these do, they were 20 years ahead of their time in design is all.

These are the majority of my casting reels, but I cannot locate spools. I can find the reel on ebay occaissionally, never see the two speed. Would love to get one of those.

Check with "Outdoor World Rod and Reel Repair" phone (417)873-5274. Or visit "basspro.com/repair". They have many parts for old out-dated reels. A while back I got parts for a Zebco Cardinal 4 spinning reel that has not been made in many years. They bought-up obsolete parts from many manufactures. Good luck.

Check with "Outdoor World Rod and Reel Repair" phone (417)873-5274. Or visit "basspro.com/repair". They have many parts for old out-dated reels. A while back I got parts for a Zebco Cardinal 4 spinning reel that has not been made in many years. They bought-up obsolete parts from many manufactures. Good luck.

good idea.

;)

I ended up bidding up a right hand (I only use left because I find switching hands to reel up not to be ergonomic) and took the spool from. The entire purchase was less than a spool cost.

Anyone need a right hand reel with no spool?:D

Those reels were at least 20 years ahead of their time. Sure love 'em on a variety of HMG rods.

I doubt you will find a spool anywhere for this reel. The only chance would be finding a junker and removing the spool.

Understand, 5 years ago ABU was it's own company and was well known for carrying parts for reels made 40 years ago. ABU is no longer it's own company, it's part of Pure Fishing and is owned by an investment bank. They aren't under any obligation to provide parts for reels that old.

I checked with Southwestern. The spool and line guides are gone.

ABU used to make their own reels in their factory. No longer the case. They are made in Malaysia now or whoever is the lowest cost bidder which is why they keep coming up with new "Models" of Revo's.

Sadly to compete, Shimano is in the process of doing the same thing with their Curados and Chronarchs. The new G series is not made by them.

have some what I believe to be xlt spools.

believe they are somewhat narrow and come equipped with centrifugal brakes

2, each in plaxtic case, unused.

bought them years ago thinking they were replacement spools for 2000C

spools were mislabeled

not familiar with xlt

if someone is still interested in xlt spools

let me know, email me any identifying parts info,

description, dimensions, etc and will

check my junkboxlook for them.

may be willing to swap for used Ambassadeur in good condition

hoochbear in GA