Skeeter

SPS Flatfish

Hey Riverman, the SPS Flat Fish I think was introduced in 1930 by Charlie Helin. His Company was Helin Tackle Company. They stopped production on that lure and from what I was told they were difficult to find for a long time. However Worden has the rights to this lure and is currently producing it. It is a Banana looking lure that has some AWESOME ACTION! A lot of times this is trolled for Lake Trout, but it is a Multi Species lure! Hope that helps. But Skeeter I dont know anything else on that,,, from what I hear and its not the most reliable, is that info was safeguarded very well and kept a secret! (???? I dunno ???) But Riverman You can see it at the Bass Pro Shops website:

64676.jpg[/img]

OH yes, the flatfish, kwikfish, I have probably a 100 of them varying from an inch long to over 6 inches in length. This is the "go to" lure here for chinook. All of mine are made of plastic. The info you provided is interesting Bass as I wasn't aware the lure had that long of history. I shaped a bunch of these out of cedar a few months back but kind of lost interest in them since then. I found them a bit difficult to get running correctly, would like to give it another try tho.

If you would like me to Skeeter I would be happy to float some and pass on the info to you.

jed

Here is a old FlatFish that I still use, it is of the wood variety. You wanted to know what type of wood was used and if they have weight added. This lure has extensive crazing and in most cases, when a lure with a lead plug added has that much finish crazing there is a noticable ring around the lead; I see no evidence of any weight. I can't see enough of the wood grain to even hazzard a guess as to what type of wood it is. I hope this helps you some!

Regards

Dan

Sorry in getting back late to yall. I have a customer that wants some made. It is not really my cup of tea. But he really wants me to make them for him. He sent me one of his better ones for a pattern today. The thing weighs nothing, like it is made out of balsa. It doesn't appear to be weighted in any way. He said that he thinks the originals were made of basswood. I have never messed with basswood, but it makes sense with as light as the original is. This will be a bit of a challenge since the lip and the body are made out of one solid piece of wood. Everything will have to line up just right. Will eyescrews hold in basswood?

Skeeter

I'm glad you are taking on this challenge Skeeter as I am curious as to whether you can get the things to work. I carved quite a few and to my eye they looked perfect in every way and I still have trouble getting them to run. Be aware when water testing them that they are a bit "freaky" and even those that have been purchased do some weird things at times. These lures operate right on the very edge of "too much wobble" and are thus ready to blow out at any moment. Please come back with to the group with how things turn out for you.

Jed

My customer talked to Henlin. Seems the originals were made out of balsa. Some work is going to have to be done to re enforce where the eyescrews go. I know how to strengthen the balsa, but it seems to me that since the lip and the body are a one piece wood that the lip could really take a beating if it is a bait that is used to dig. I'll keep you guys posted. I really don't do these kind of baits, but it will be a break from the usual type of work. Kinda looking forward to it. I am finishing up some 20ft. deep divers for some customers this week and should get started this weekend on it.

Skeeter

Skeeter,

You know here in the Northwest guys have been using flatfish forever. I was always told these lures were originally made to be trolled in lakes. Here guys buy literally thousands of them in size 14, 15, and 16 for chinook, these are huge lures. Smaller sizes are bought up by the summer-time fisherman who like to take out the "family" and catch a few trout in the lake. These lures are not casted and "cranked" typically, at least not that I have ever seen or heard of so I wouldn't expect to build them to hold up to such conditions.

If you are going to build them from balsa, what if you secure your screw-eyes into a piece of wooden dowel, maybe 1/4 inch stuff, and then drill out the balsa to accept the dowel. The dowel would then be glued with epoxy...this would make for a very strong set-up and could easily be accomplished. Just a thought...

jed

Skeeter,

Have you every used super glue and Baking soda to add strenth and hardness to a finished shape..you really don't need the baking soda if your not in a hurry and just soak it and let it dry..

warning...when you add the soda you will get a reaction the soda will get very hard and should bond to the wood.. so don't make anything more than a dusting or you will have more sanding to do..

Littlebear

BTW I have a few of these baits made from both cedar and balsa.. in the Flatfish and the Lazy Ike..

the other day i bought one of this lures and aparently the lip is not from the same piece, its attached to the rest of the lure so, maybe the body can be mado of balsa and the lip from other, strongest an more resistant wood..(by the way the lure that i bought is plastic but it works fine) maybe you can experiment with this

manuel

Perro,

Thanks for the drawing and all of the help. Thanks to the rest of you too. We got 18 inches of snow here last night, so I might be a little slow in getting out to my shop to do some work. But, I should have the body finished next week sometime. I have an original from my customer. I need to take it to the water to see how this thing swims. Then after I get mine done, I can compare them. Thanks again fellas.

Skeeter

Skeeter, how is the flatfish coming along? did you end up weighting it? i came across a few bodies on ebay and wanted to finish them, but am unsure about the weight and or the placement of the weight. just going to use them myself, thought that i might learn from your trials. if anyone would like one or two bodies i would be happy to share, i got a whole gallon bag full.

Sean