RiverMan

My Pet Peeve

When I first started building lures years ago I found it very difficult to get any help. At that time no one on TU was talking about building musky gliders.....my lure of interest. So after several years of building and learning, experimenting, I began to understand a few things about gliders and I made a point to try to always help others.

In the last five years or so I recieve about two emails a week from builders asking questions. So here is my pet peeve............

I work long days and like everyone else my time is valuable and yet at the end of the day I will always sit down and answer questions. Sometimes it can take me 20 minutes to write a response to someone on exactly what sealers to use, how to clear coat, woods, balancing, etc.

In about 80% of the cases, the guys never write me back to say "thanks". Not a simple "got it", or "appreciate it", or "thanks".............nothing! They just take the information and are gone. Some of them will write back a week later or so and ask for clarification on something and then again............nothing.

I will still help builders on TU, I love this site, but after answering questions for years through email I am about done with it. It's literally "a thankless job".

Jed V.

Edited by RiverMan

When I first started building lures ten years ago or so I wrote everyone I could find about gliders trying to find out anything I could. With the exception of a couple builders in West Virginia and one in England, most would simply ignore my emails.

After several years of building and learning, experimenting, I began to understand a few things about gliders and I made a point to try to always help others.

In the last five years or so I recieve about two emails a week from builders asking questions. So here is my pet peeve............

I work long days and sometimes I am really tired at the end of the day and yet I will always sit down and answer questions. Sometimes it can take me 20 minutes to write a response to someone on exactly what sealers to use, how to clear coat, woods, balancing, etc.

In about 80% of the cases, the guys never write me back to say "thanks". Not a simple "got it", or "appreciate it", or "thanks".............nothing! They just take the information and are gone. Some of them will write back a week later or so and ask for clarification on something and then again............nothing.

I will still help builders on TU, I love this site, but after answering questions for years through email I am about done with it. It's literally "a thankless job".

Jed V.

I feel that way about my fishing site sometimes... and the various PMs and e-mails I get. Between them all I get literally thousnads of visitors who want the "inside scoop" and never contribute a darned thing.

When I first started building lures years ago I found it very difficult to get any help. At that time no one on TU was talking about building musky gliders.....my lure of interest. So after several years of building and learning, experimenting, I began to understand a few things about gliders and I made a point to try to always help others.

I work long days and like everyone else my time is valuable and yet at the end of the day I will always sit down and answer questions. Sometimes it can take me 20 minutes to write a response to someone on exactly what sealers to use, how to clear coat, woods, balancing, etc.

Jed V.

I can understand your frustration with that. I can honestly say that without this site and all the guys that have helped me either with a direct response or reading a post, I would not be enjoying the craft as I do today. With that being said, I'd like to thank you and everyone else that took the time to share they're opinions and knowledge. Thanks,Ed.

I'm with you Jed, I used to think it was just one of those 'American things' that we don't quite understand here (like TIA), so never I worried too much, but in recent times I have found the same on local forum here as well, it gets a bit insulting after a while - in fact here we would call it "bloody downright rude" -

I don't know about you, but I can only type with 2 fingers and by the time I correct all the errors an hour has usually gone for all of one paragraph.

Pete

Riverman

There is no accounting for rudeness or selfishness. Everyone's different in one way or another. I agree with you, a thank you is all that is needed to make ones time worthwhile in replying. I would suggest that replies are made on the board rather than PM's or emails, after all it is a public forum and what keeps us all coming back is the ideas and knowledge that everyone benefits from. There are many postings I have read that attract positive feedback out of the blue from guys that have not even participated in the thread input but have simply read the content and found that to be of use to them so all is not lost wink.gif. I wish I was as skilled as some of you guys here so I could contribute more but have to be satisfied with my limited ability but I do try my best when I can. I guess we all leech at sometime but a leech with a thanks is more palatable.

Keep up the good work and keep smiling.

philB

I agree too. But I have been lucky with the members that I have conversed with through the pm system, I cannot remember anyone not acknowledging any help I was able to give.

On a very similar note, their have been lots of 'brainstorming' threads, were several members have tried to solve a problem, such as paint/topcoat issues, balancing, molding problems etc. After about 20 or so ideas, the thread eventually dies, with no report back as to what worked. Then months later the same question will arise again and we all have to go through the same list of possible solutions. This can be very frustrating.

Dave

Q- "Then months later the same question will arise again and we all have to go through the same list of possible solutions. This can be very frustrating."

Yes Dave and eventually you just give up, stick your head up your back side and do your own thing - you can see the frustration in some of the posts from a few of the 'old hands' here.

Pete

Like Vodkaman posted here I have very few if any guys who have not thanked me for helping them out. Mostly through Pm's. I have answered the same questions over and over thousands of times. It may sound a little weird, but I like helping people out. I will never turn down a question if asked of me and I can answer it. However, like many of you if I don't get a Thank You, I will not go out of the way to help anyone either. You guys are correct, a little courtesy goes a long way.

Edited by cadman

Like Vodkaman posted here I have very few if any guys who have not thanked me for helping them out. Mostly through Pm's. I have answered the same questions over and over thousands of times. It may sound a little weird, but I like helping people out. I will never turn down a question if asked of me and I can answer it. However, like many of you if I don't get a Thank You, I will not go out of the way to help anyone either. You guys are correct, a little courtesy goes a long way.

Ain't it the truth! Jed, I know exactly what you mean, & I think we notice it especially through the pm's, but it happens in the forums too, as Dave said. Some people get their problems solved and then vanish, and I think that it is simply a fact of life on many forums that involve problem solving. The core group here are not simply builders, but enthusiasts first when it comes to lure-making, and I'm afraid that the here-today, gone-tomorrow type simply do not share our passion for the creation, but are simply after the quickest means to the end result. Too bad for them, as they are missing out on a great hobby that expands the dimensions of the greatest sport: Fishing!

Dean

Ain't it the truth! Jed, I know exactly what you mean, & I think we notice it especially through the pm's, but it happens in the forums too, as Dave said. Some people get their problems solved and then vanish, and I think that it is simply a fact of life on many forums that involve problem solving. The core group here are not simply builders, but enthusiasts first when it comes to lure-making, and I'm afraid that the here-today, gone-tomorrow type simply do not share our passion for the creation, but are simply after the quickest means to the end result. Too bad for them, as they are missing out on a great hobby that expands the dimensions of the greatest sport: Fishing!

Dean

Dean,

It's funny you mentioned here today gone tomorrow. I'm sure this holds true in other forums as well, but you wouldn't believe how many Pm's I get of guys wanting to make and paint jigs like I do, most of them don't realize how much time, patience, trial and error goes into doing this. Granted I don't make crank baits, but like anything else there is a big learning curve to everything you do and even once we learn it, we still have bad days. Guys want to be the best after a couple of weeks. You know as well as I do that you have to put in the time to be really good at it and you have to practice. I've seen a lot of guys come and go and many had dreams of all this money being made. Well you know the rest. First and foremost like with many of the guys here this is a hobby and a passion for me, not about getting rich.

Welcome to the age of instant gratification and the internet! The sense of appreciation, hard work and taking pride of all you have accomplished through much time, trial and error is somewhat gone and lost. Its much like fishing itself and all that time and effort we put in to find the hot-spots and techniques which work best....now all the info is right at the tips of your fingers within the comfort of your home...hmmmm

A true change that society has gone through in recent years which has its pros and cons.....what will happen when we (the folks who survived before the internet) are gone?? Something to ponder.

Welcome to the age of instant gratification and the internet! The sense of appreciation, hard work and taking pride of all you have accomplished through much time, trial and error is somewhat gone and lost. Its much like fishing itself and all that time and effort we put in to find the hot-spots and techniques which work best....now all the info is right at the tips of your fingers within the comfort of your home...hmmmm

A true change that society has gone through in recent years which has its pros and cons.....what will happen when we (the folks who survived before the internet) are gone?? Something to ponder.

Beter World

I've also shared whatever knowledge I have with people through PMs, and I've never had anyone who didn't PM me back and say thank you.

I don't do it for the thank you, but it is nice to hear.

I started in construction digging ditches and hauling trash, and worked my way up to carpenter, and I always had help and learned from the people I worked with.

Sure, there were guys who were too worried that someone would steal their job to ever share, but they were in the small minority.

Most people, just like here, were happy to share what they knew, to try and shorten the learning curve for someone else.

I don't think those of us who share whatever we know are doing it for applause, or to be noticed.

I, for one, am just happy to be able to help.

After all, most of what I know about lure making I learned here.

Wow thats true riverman....I do not PM all that much but I hope I have never done this to anyone. I truly appreciate the wisdom, guidance and help you guys put out everyday. I agree it is a thankless job and I hope you guys know that I could not be where I am today without you.

Now that being said.... I have a Glider question below i could really use some insider info on. :mellow::D:D

I am just joking... couldnt resist! hehe

I just want to say that there are about 10 - 15 guys on here that give so much on a daily basis. I consider them the Hardbait OG's and you should know who you are... You guys answer 99% of the questions in here.... Wish I could do or say more but I for one appreciate the hell out of you guys. You are true pioneers of this site. You have put smiles on a lot of our faces when we catch fish on lures that you helped us make. I hope it offers some solice for you to know that you helped give us that feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction.

A humble thank you,

Matt

Jed V.

I can sure understand and appreciate everyones frustration. I started my bait making craft just a few short years ago, I'm a little older (57) than some, thus have a great deal of patience. I do not post or ask questions very often. I realized very early on, by just reading posts, applying that info in practical application, I get years and years of your experience without having to go through the trail and errors you "pros" have had to. I agree we see tha same questions asked time and time again, yet one only has to utilize the search feature to obtain this info. I cannot tell you how much I've learned and developed my skills just by reading your posts. You guys are top shelf!! I know some times a Thank You would be nice, but beyond that I want you to know how much your contributions have helped me, without you even knowing it, as again I mostly just read the posts. Please don't withdraw sharing advise of your hard earned skills, I means the world to guys like me. I read them every single day. Thanks for being the mentors of us dummies! I am very thanksful for finding TU and YOU!!

Bill

Jed,

You hit the nail on the head with that post....I am sure that is why so many of the old regulars don't visit this site as much anymore, myself included.

Rod

I can sure understand and appreciate everyones frustration. I started my bait making craft just a few short years ago, I'm a little older (57) than some, thus have a great deal of patience. I do not post or ask questions very often. I realized very early on, by just reading posts, applying that info in practical application, I get years and years of your experience without having to go through the trail and errors you "pros" have had to. I agree we see tha same questions asked time and time again, yet one only has to utilize the search feature to obtain this info. I cannot tell you how much I've learned and developed my skills just by reading your posts. You guys are top shelf!! I know some times a Thank You would be nice, but beyond that I want you to know how much your contributions have helped me, without you even knowing it, as again I mostly just read the posts. Please don't withdraw sharing advise of your hard earned skills, I means the world to guys like me. I read them every single day. Thanks for being the mentors of us dummies! I am very thanksful for finding TU and YOU!!

Bill

I know how you guys feel about not receiving Thanks. On the other hand, it's easy to ascribe bad manners or attitudes to guys who don't intend any insult or slight. You don't know who is sitting behind that computer screen, the manners Mom taught them, or their ability to communicate in writing. So I don't get jacked up much by any of it. Almost all my PM exchanges have included a Thank You. I'll keep sharing info because it has been shared with me and I owe it back.

Now if we could just get a few knuckleheads to use the SEARCH feature occasionally, I'd be a Happy Camper!

I really have not sent any PMs to people, I never had to. I have learned a lot from this website and most people usually respond to my posts or questions. Since you are all here though, I just want to say thank you from me. This has been one of the better hobbies I have ever had. The creativity and skill involved in peples work here is pretty damn amazing. Oh, whats a ballast? haha, sorry I had to also.