streloc78

Stencil Material

Hello everyone,

I have tried to use cardboard for stencil and it didn't worked out well. After first use with Createx stencil got wet and became unusable. Can some one help me to pick right material for the stencils and how to make the cuts? I used the modeling knife and don't think that everyone uses that to cut out stencils, since it is too much trouble.

Also, is there a store to buy already made stencils?

Thank you very much for your help.

Stev0

If you'll use thin plastic, such as gallon milk jugs, for your stencils it will be much easier on you. It's easy to cut with scissors or a hobby knife. And it's easy to keep clean. If your using water based paint just wipe it off with a wet rag and your ready for the next shot.

Plastic report covers... like you used in High School or College. Thin, flexible, relatively easy to cut. Buy lots of blades, or better yet make a couple punches and a punch guide.

You need to check out the video on the home page of TU about making a stencil.

Hello everyone,

I have tried to use cardboard for stencil and it didn't worked out well. After first use with Createx stencil got wet and became unusable. Can some one help me to pick right material for the stencils and how to make the cuts? I used the modeling knife and don't think that everyone uses that to cut out stencils, since it is too much trouble.

Also, is there a store to buy already made stencils?

Thank you very much for your help.

Stev0

An easy stencil material I use is Pelon, the stuff that stiffens the skirt on a sofa. You can use them alot more times than you would think, just dry the the overspray, flip it over paint the other side of the lure. Pelon is easy to cut with an exacto. I use a stencil cutter(wood burning knife)as well with a fine tip for irregular stripes and other detail. Plasic of course is a longer lasting stencil , once you cut one should last for years.

I use literally any kind of Thin plastic that I just take off of any plastic boxes, packaging materials, then I put masking tape over the whole thing, draw out the stencil I want to make with a fine tip permanent marker, then I use a Strait Edge Razorblade and Cut it out. It works really well.

An alternative to a stencil burner that I have been doing lately is to hold the blade of my xacto knife over a flame for only 2-3 seconds. Its like a hot knife through butter. Too much heat will make a mess of the plastic though.

Just be careful, I don't need any more of a guilty conscience than I already have. :yay: