zaugrishak5150

Paint Types

OK, I am trying to paint vibrating lures. I have spray painted vinyl then dipped or brushed. Then primed with Fusion the dipped/brushed. Then sprayed with model paint then sealed with glow paints. Holy S*it, I can not find stuff that works well together! Can someone gimme some hints as to how I should prime, paint and highlight/seal some vibrating lures (and spoons)????

Bottom line, If you are using aerosol paint, choose colors and topcoats from the same line of paint from one company to get coatings that are compatible. It takes time for the solvents in solvent based aerosols to out-gas - days to a week after the coating is dry - and there is usually some chemical residue present after that. Randomly mixing solvent paint brands almost never works. Alternatively, you can paint the baits with any paint you like, including water based acrylic paint, and topcoat it with epoxy, which is chemically non-reactive with other coatings. Popular topcoat epoxies are Devcon Two Ton, Envirotex Lite (aka Etex), and Flexcoat. Devcon Two Ton is a glue. Envirotex Lite is a table top pour-on epoxy finish. Flexcoat Hi Build is a rod guide epoxy. Do a search on these brands for info on their pros and cons, how to apply them. They require rotation after brushing them on to prevent sags and drips.

In addition to what BobP said....I have found that painting aeresols on to metal or lead seems to take a lot longer to cure than it does when painting wood or plastic. I would think that an acrylic or latex paint with a durable epoxy clear would be your best bet. Also sticking with the same brands and NOT mixing, is great advice....or you tend to get the seperation or "crackle" effect and paint seems to NEVER cure/dry.

Good Luck

Edited by ShutUpNFish1

OK, I am trying to paint vibrating lures. I have spray painted vinyl then dipped or brushed. Then primed with Fusion the dipped/brushed. Then sprayed with model paint then sealed with glow paints. Holy S*it, I can not find stuff that works well together! Can someone gimme some hints as to how I should prime, paint and highlight/seal some vibrating lures (and spoons)????

Since you mentioned spoons, I assume your talking about vibration blade baits and not a plastic rattle trap. I would use Dick Nite's paint and clear coat if I was painting/diping metal baits.

I'm with Gunnie on using the Dick Nite for metal baits. In fact, I use it for all metal and hardwood baits. It's formulated for dipping metal spoons and does a great job on them. Dip it, hang it, done. But if you are spraying lures with solvent based aerosol paint, using Dick Nite is a crap shoot because it contains a very active solvent. I'm sure it will work over the paints that Dick Nite also sells but I only use it over well dried water based acrylic paints applied with an airbrush, so can't comment on which other paints may be compatible. If you're interested, do a search on Dick Nite for lots of info on its storage requirements (it's a moisture cured polyurethane) and application techniques. If you want a thin, durable "factory-like" finish, Dick Nite is a great choice.

I tried powder paint but am all thumbs with the stuff for some reason. I have a bunch of bass jigging spoons painted with acrylic paint then dipped in Dick Nite - they all look good after 2 yrs of use, so I have no complaints. Don't know about other polys but DN seems to soak into and through the paint to bond with the metal, which makes for a durable spoon. I haven't tried it with spinnerbait blades.

I use just the same stuff I use on my cranks and dip them in dick nites. Turned out great. Walleyes love them too. After I pour my blade baits I throw them in the sand blaster and rough up the finish so the paint will stick.web-bb-firetiger.jpg

Rivereyes, I assume you air brush your paint? What type of paint do you start with??? They look badass, that is the end result I am looking for.