Gloomisman

Chroming

Based on reading many TU posts, it doesn't seem there is any economical way to chrome or chrome paint a bait. Chrome paints that really shine well are very expensive and you have the problem that most topcoats used over them destroy the effect. Most of us go with foil for a reflective silver baitfish effect. You can use the search feature for related posts on foil products and application.

Based on reading many TU posts, it doesn't seem there is any economical way to chrome or chrome paint a bait. Chrome paints that really shine well are very expensive and you have the problem that most topcoats used over them destroy the effect. Most of us go with foil for a reflective silver baitfish effect. You can use the search feature for related posts on foil products and application.

Cool thanks Bob, I did search and read alot of the posts on chroming. I was praying something had changed recently. I also googled it. I found the same as you state. Its out of reach of us little guys to be able to electroplate plastic.

Hopefully someone will come out shortly and plate smaller quantities that most of us can afford. I'll start trying to foil and clear coat.

Main reason for asking is I have been wanting to duplicate a lucky craft aurora black.

Edited by Gloomisman

Cool thanks Bob, I did search and read alot of the posts on chroming. I was praying something had changed recently. I also googled it. I found the same as you state. Its out of reach of us little guys to be able to electroplate plastic.

Hopefully someone will come out shortly and plate smaller quantities that most of us can afford. I'll start trying to foil and clear coat.

Main reason for asking is I have been wanting to duplicate a lucky craft aurora black.

The only thing that has come reasonably close for me without foiling, is putting a base of black down, and shooting some pearlescent white over it. You have to do thin coats til you get the effect. Dunno though, if foil isnt good enough, this probably isnt going to help you. Only other thing i can think of is embossing. i have never tried that.

SC9000 urethane doesn't dull chrome paints. That is one of the main reasons I started using it.

The SC stands for Super Clear, and it is.

So if you wind up painting your chrome, and your topcoat dulls the shine, you might want to try it. It's made by Target Coatings.

Mark, is it a clear that you can shoot with an airbrush? I don't want to hijack the thread, shoot me a pm if don't mind.